Closing Hayloft Door

Jeanne Sheridan

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Our front barn is the same age as our house, 102 years old. It is a different style and we have swing to the side as opposed to the swing down loft doors. A neighbor who has your style and even with an active pulley system I wouldn't want to have to open and close it regularly.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I do have to wonder why people would make huge bottom hinged doors. That is a lot of weight to lift and the leverage needed when it is all the way down is substantial. I guess one reason is you don't have to worry about the wind blowing it shut.

How are the big side hinged doors opened and closed? Obviously you can't lean out the opening to reach the edge of the door to "latch" or pull it back closed.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I wandered the exact same thing but i figured they new better than me. In all honesty though I really can't think of a single reason why you would prefer the top down to the side open.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
But the important question yet to be answered... Have you got the contraption working and is the door closed?

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Lol, door is still open. I'm currently trying to find one other pulley and then I'll be able to put it all together.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Oh, OK... thought you had said there were other pulleys laying around in the barn... :hide Waiting on video is all... ;)

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Haha, lll be sure to have one of the children video it. There was another pulley in the barn and I found 1 more somewhere else but to put the complete puzzle back together I need one more. One of my wife's friends said she thought she knew someone who had one so hopefully soon. Fingers crossed!

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yep, that has to be a hard find. Very specific to the task.

Jeanne Sheridan

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I do have to wonder why people would make huge bottom hinged doors. That is a lot of weight to lift and the leverage needed when it is all the way down is substantial. I guess one reason is you don't have to worry about the wind blowing it shut.

How are the big side hinged doors opened and closed? Obviously you can't lean out the opening to reach the edge of the door to "latch" or pull it back closed.
I’ll try to get pictures posted tomorrow. Our barn is a little different. The doors are on the sides not the ends. I’ll try for a picture of the out side and the inside. The only problem could be heavy rain

Jeanne Sheridan

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
View attachment 44705 nne Sheridan, post: 541968, member: 17015"]I’ll try to get pictures postd tomorrow. Our barn is a little different. The doors are on the sides not the ends. I’ll try for a picture of the out side and the inside. The only problem could be heavy rain[/QUOTE]
We finally got a break in the rain. Picture 1 is the west side of the barn facing the house. The only door on this side is the one through the birthing shed that was added sometime after the barn was build. Picture 2 is the south side of the barn with the two loft doors circled in blue. Picture 3 is the west loft door from the outside. Picture 4 is the inside of the same door. I circled the rope that has been on the door since we bought the property. When the door is closed it hooks onto the wall beside the door. When its open it hooks onto the hinge side of the door. The east side is a mirror image of this door and is the one we use for a hay elevator. Hopefully this summer I'll replace the rope with a leather strap.
I’ll try to get pictures posted tomorrow. Our barn is a little different. The doors are on the sides not the ends. I’ll try for a picture of the out side and the inside. The only problem could be heavy rain

We finally got a break in the rain. Picture 1 is the west side of the barn facing the house. The only door on this side is the one through the birthing shed that was added sometime after the barn was build. Picture 2 is the south side of the barn with the two loft doors circled in blue. Picture 3 is the west loft door from the outside. Picture 4 is the inside of the same door. I circled the rope that has been on the door since we bought the property. When the door is closed it hooks onto the wall beside the door. When its open it hooks onto the hinge side of the door. The east side is a mirror image of this door and is the one we use for a hay elevator. Hopefully this summer I'll replace the rope with a leather strap.

Attachments

• IMG_0173.JPG
    IMG_0173.JPG
    384.3 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0178_LI.jpg
    IMG_0178_LI.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0176.JPG
    IMG_0176.JPG
    358.2 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0180 (2)_LI.jpg
    IMG_0180 (2)_LI.jpg