Closing Hayloft Door

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
:thumbsup

Are a few constructive comments OK??
  • I didn't see a fairlead block at tractor hitch level outside the barn between the pulley inside and the tractor.
  • Does the block at the door end swivel? If not, a swivel would be good, or at least untwist the rope before you pull.
  • You could use a fairlead below the top pulley in the rear going to the one at the door. That would make the rope run through the upper block easier.
  • If the rope is jumping the block, it is because it is too small a diameter. Rope 150 years ago was thicker for a given breaking strength. Certainly it shouldn't be able to get stuck between the block and the cheek.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The carriage can do that but I'm missing the hay fork and that costs a bit more than I'm willing to spend, though it sure would be nice addition. As it stands, I'll probably just put the bakes in the bucket of the tractor and lift them into the hay loft like that lol.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
You could probably rig up a lifting harness that hooked to the baling wire/string and pull the bales up one at a time. Of course that would be slow, they didn't have tractors with FELs back when that barn was built ;)

Alibo

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
1. That is just amazing
2. I hope my kids are that helpful when they are older!
3. This may be a stupid question, but is there any benefit to baleing the hay other than the convenience factor? Better nutritional preservation? Less fire risk? :idunno

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just saw this video and thought of your barn-
Awesome find @Bayleaf Meadows!

There is one of those "hay picker upper thingies" used as a decoration at a property we drive by. Neighbor across the road has a horse drawn sickle bar mower also decorative.
I would think some sides on that wagon would make collecting the hay easier.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that @Bayleaf Meadows ! I would definitely love to have that bailer and the forks they used! As it stands I'll be putting the hay into the front loader on the tractor and raising it up to the loft for someone to pull out. Thanks again!