Clydesdale horses for joy riding.

StrawberryHouseMouse

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Is it a good idea to get a Clydesdale for this purpose? I love the horses but I don't plan on ever needing a draft horse.

Kelly G

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have a draft horse - and I LOVE him! I'd have a hundred if I could.

I have a friend who breeds Clydes, and I almost purchased one from her...but in the end, I decided I needed a horse who could help earn his keep by being able to teach riding lessons. Not easy with an 18hh Clyde. So I decided on a compromise...I got a Norwegian Fjord - a small draft horse. He's GREAT! And I have never - not even for one minute - felt like I "settled" for something less.

He is everything I love about the drafts: he's easy-going, happy, calm, steady, and built like a tank! He's like taking your sofa out for a ride! All this, but in a 14.2hh package! He never has a bad day! He's easy.

You need big accomodations to play with the "big boys". They need bigger stalls (at least 14'x14' if not 16'x16'), they need stronger fencing (like Great Danes, many are leaners!), they need bigger buckets, bigger tack, and bigger EVERYTHING!

Surprisingly, they don't eat as much as you'd think. Most (but not all) are easy keepers. Siggy gets fat on air - he was 200 pounds over-weight when I purchased him. He is now trim and healthy and eats 3 flakes of straight Timothy each day as well as one cup (yes CUP) of Nutrena Triumph 10% pellets - just so he feels like he's getting something! He also has access to mineral licks to make sure he gets all that he needs.

Haflingers are another Draft horse in a smaller package. Really nice horses.

Here is my Fjord - how do you NOT love a horse with a head as big as your torso?!
cid_000501c9592bea093eb06700a8c0Kel.jpg

DSC_0079.jpg

SiggyLarge2.jpg

okiron

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Kelly G said:
I have a draft horse - and I LOVE him! I'd have a hundred if I could.

I have a friend who breeds Clydes, and I almost purchased one from her...but in the end, I decided I needed a horse who could help earn his keep by being able to teach riding lessons. Not easy with an 18hh Clyde. So I decided on a compromise...I got a Norwegian Fjord - a small draft horse. He's GREAT! And I have never - not even for one minute - felt like I "settled" for something less.

He is everything I love about the drafts: he's easy-going, happy, calm, steady, and built like a tank! He's like taking your sofa out for a ride! All this, but in a 14.2hh package! He never has a bad day! He's easy.

You need big accomodations to play with the "big boys". They need bigger stalls (at least 14'x14' if not 16'x16'), they need stronger fencing (like Great Danes, many are leaners!), they need bigger buckets, bigger tack, and bigger EVERYTHING!

Surprisingly, they don't eat as much as you'd think. Most (but not all) are easy keepers. Siggy gets fat on air - he was 200 pounds over-weight when I purchased him. He is now trim and healthy and eats 3 flakes of straight Timothy each day as well as one cup (yes CUP) of Nutrena Triumph 10% pellets - just so he feels like he's getting something! He also has access to mineral licks to make sure he gets all that he needs.

Haflingers are another Draft horse in a smaller package. Really nice horses.

Here is my Fjord - how do you NOT love a horse with a head as big as your torso?!
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/...Siggy/cid_000501c9592bea093eb06700a8c0Kel.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t22/kellygast/Horse - Siggy/DSC_0079.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t22/kellygast/Horse - Siggy/SiggyLarge2.jpg
He's absolutely magnificent! :love

Kelly G

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks! I am just crazy about this horse! He is the 7th horse I've owned in my lifetime, and he is - hands down - my favorite. He will never be leaving us.

I re-read my post, above, and I realize that I didn't mention that he rides (of course) and drives. He is six years old, stands 14.2hh, and easily carries my husband around all day long (260 lbs and 6'1"). When we take him driving - he pulls all four of us with the ease of an 8 cylinder truck...but he's much cuter!

Ninny

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I love draft horses. I have heard they make saddles to fit them not sure how hard they are to find though.

jettesunn05

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ninny said:
I love draft horses. I have heard they make saddles to fit them not sure how hard they are to find though.
you could ride bareback! LOL ouch! I would love to have a draft someday. I looked at a draft x one time to buy and he was one of the smoothest horse I have ever ridden!

Kelly G

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have a TON of draft horse resources. I subscribe to the magazine, Draft Horse Journal, and found a ton of suppliers. It's surprising how easy it's been to find everything (and it's been tempting to buy ALL of it!!!).

I highly recommend a draft horse - they make your butt look WAY smaller! :lol:

Kelly G

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
jettesunn05 said:
Ninny said:
you could ride bareback! LOL ouch! I would love to have a draft someday. I looked at a draft x one time to buy and he was one of the smoothest horse I have ever ridden!
...and I agree - bareback is comfy!

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We're draft crazy too, We had a Sport Horse (PaintXPercheron), purebred Percheron, and until recently our Haflinger X Belgian gelding

2468herdsrgr8

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We have a Belgian cross approx 16 yrs old...she used to be a mennonite driving horse ....My hubby loves her and all her little challenges..He says its like riding a sofa sideways...he has short legs.....Excellent ground manners and she lifts her feet great...but boy for such a big girl she sure can run and jump and kick in the feild....when she's happy !
We went for a ride in the woods yesterday I was following hubby and Maybelinne on my daughters horse and hubby broke off a dead branch that was going to hit me and Maybelline seen it and thought it was a crop or whip...and she did her"Oh my goodness dance" so after being with us for just less than a year now she still remembers the whip....from her past....But we love her and were looking for another draft cross....Some photo's from this past winter...one was taken out our back window ...she has a three sided shelter to go in ...thats where the other horse is but she loves the snow !!! Really good coat....
580_horses_winter_2008_2009_050.jpg
580_horses_winter_2008_2009_065.jpg