CntryBoy777 - The Lazy A** Acres Adventures

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mr. @CntryBoy777,

I was perusing Mr. @Bruce's journal (it will become evident once I find what I am looking for), and I ran across this:
... There is a smaller wasp that I've always known as a "Guinea Wasp", it is brown with a band or 2 of creme or yellow color to it on their tail section. They are smaller than the dark red w/black tail wasps, but they attack in a swarm. It is because of these that my foot sustained the injury that ended my ability to run or walk properly. I take great pleasure in punishing them by any means possible...

If you ever shared that story, I somehow missed it. What happened exactly?

Senile Texas Aggie

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure that I "shared" the details of that incident....but, ya did ask......it was a very nice sunny and hot day and it was in Sept of '05....I'd had the 1st heart attack in Feb that same year....I had gotten back to work in May and with no income for that period of time, was way behind on bills and wasn't far from having a vehicle repoed and foreclosure proceedings on the house and 3acres....anyway, I was headed to get a load of peat to take back to the yard, before going home for the day....well, as the guy scooped up and dumped it into the trailer, there was a huge clod that fell from the side of the bucket and dropped right on the rolled tarp...right on the side of the trailer.....I didn't want it to fall off while in rush hour traffic....so, there was an old loader that was broke down in a field as ya went out to the road....I pulled up to it and was going to climb up to the cab and use the broom I had to knock the clod off....the cab was about 6-7' off the ground, and as I was climbing the ladder and was right at the top...I felt 2 stings on my forearm and as I looked down to see what it was, I got a quick 1, 2."pops" on my right cheek bone....now ya have to remember my feet are 5-6' off the ground.....all my life I have been "dropping to the ground" from the lowest limb outta trees....so, I decided to just step back and away from the ladder to avoid any further "afflictions".....when I landed I let the left foot be the first to touch ground and roll towards that direction, which was towards the rear of the truck tandems and king pin platform.....I sustained a lis franc injury, broke 2 bones in the arch of the foot, and scrambled ligaments and tendons....course, this is also the leg with the bad knee....and that is the reason I have a very great dislike to guinea wasp....but, have never ran or walked right since....this also was when things "collapsed" as I was put on WComp.....I settled it....yeh, coulda got much more with a lawyer....but, how can I do something like that to the guy that gave me a job?.....worked with me thru the heart attack?.....he dang didn't know there was a freaking wasp nest there and that I was gonna "use it".....somethings just happen in "life" that isn't anyone elses "fault".....sorry that I rambled a bit, but ya got the answer to the "why" of it......:)

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, Mr. @CntryBoy777! I can understand why you would not be fond of wasps. And that was mighty good of you not to blame your boss, and good of him to work with you through your troubles.

When I was about 10 years old, my mom, my two sisters and I went to visit a great aunt that lived out in the country. They grew peaches and apples, so they had an equipment shed out there behind their house. In that shed there was half of a loft, with a wide beam that went out over the equipment. I got up on that wide beam and was doing something (I don't remember what now). I had failed to notice that there was a large wasp nest at the end of that beam. Suddenly, they decided to attack in mass. I started screaming, swatting at them with my hands to keep them off of my face. There was some equipment immediately below me, so I could not jump down easily. When my mom heard me screaming, she came running to the equipment shed and saw what was going on. She convinced me to jump past the equipment down to the ground, which is what I did. When I got down, she put a paste of baking soda over all of the stings, which was over a good bit of my upper body. I have hated wasps ever since and kill them whenever I see a nest around our house, shop, or anywhere else we might visit regularly.

Senile Texas Aggie

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
We used to take the nests and go fishin with the grubs....long before the sprays came out....we would get a clothes hanger....a real hanger...;).....and wrap a newspaper around the end of a cane pole....light the paper and raise it to the nest....best done at night or right at dark, they won't fly without sight, but will fly to a light source....so, don't be the one holding the flashlight....:gig.....once the wasps fall to the ground ya just knock the nest down and put the hook thru the cell and thread grub on....fish do Love them....especially bream.....:)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you want to get rid of yellow jackets and wasps, get the small cans of canned dog food and fipronil (Frontline) liquid caps that you squeeze on a dog's back. Put out the can of dog food with fipronil on it. Place it where your pets cannot get to it. Put out a new can every day, dispose of the old one. Yellow jackets especially are nasty, mean things. They will take it back to the nest and it will kill them all.

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you want to get rid of yellow jackets and wasps, get the small cans of canned dog food and fipronil (Frontline) liquid caps that you squeeze on a dog's back. Put out the can of dog food with fipronil on it. Place it where your pets cannot get to it. Put out a new can every day, dispose of the old one. Yellow jackets especially are nasty, mean things. They will take it back to the nest and it will kill them all.
I have to do that...the bald faced hornets are taking over the area where my rabbits are :mad:

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have to do that...the bald faced hornets are taking over the area where my rabbits are :mad:
I know something that will help ya with the hornets....Khaki Campbell ducks....the hornets are drawn to the fly maggots in the litter....I have witnessed with my own eye them running them down and eating them....they catch flies and eat snails and slugs....and, they out lay most chickens....I'd look up into the trees around for their nest....they will "track" you, so try to be still if one is closeby ya....and always give ground....:)

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Something that I've been meaning to mention, but haven't yet....we have been noticing a pretty distinctive change in Gabbie.....ever since this past "heat cycle", it was her 3rd, her mannerisms and attentivness has improved greatly....and she is Enjoying her closely guarded "freedom"...off lead....
View attachment 65094 View attachment 65095
The last pic is her "striking zone"....ya can see why there isn't any grass there....no sun, that is the little bit of light that area gets under these trees.....she listens extremely well and still has some pup in her, but not near as much.....we did get her shots updated.....the was a report of a dog with a rabid bat in its mouth roughly 60-75mi southeast of us....so, wasn't gonna put it off any longer.....she still plays the same game, tho...she is peculiar about that, but it is her toy and her time....I just love spending time with her....as long as I'm not sleeping....:)

Last edited: