CntryBoy777 - The Lazy A** Acres Adventures

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Been fairly boring around here....clouds, rain, sun over and over...and over again and again....every time the sun pops out Gabbie begs and pleads to get outside.....by the time one of us takes her out it is cloudy and drops start up by the halfway point of the "routine" and hurry back in before the bottom falls out....again.... 🤣 .....having a catapillar issue with the tomatoes, but with the rain, no need to waste the sevin dust to treat them....:duc.....however, we did have our 1st BLT with our own homegrown mater today....:celebrate....Joyce wanted a "vine ripe", but I told her to pick a turning one and put it in the window til completely turned.....went to the store and got some bacon and had it today.....:drool....I can see why something is eating the help out of them, cause the one we ate sure was Good....:yesss:....I need the rain to pause for a little bit so I can get some postholes dug and have to get started building a shelter and pen and a fenced area....plus some small tree removal.....I was planning on starting during the rainy time, but the pauses have been so short ya couldn't get started good before it would sprinkle to downpour again....and the humidity was horrid....dewpnts right around 80...absolutely stifling....:bow....however, tomorrow will be spent putting the tv antenna up, outside...it is in the attic right now....neighbor is gonna help and provide the pole, and he is leaving this sunday to return to Mass until Oct....so, hoping to be able to get that done tomorrow before it starts raining....:fl....so, the Big Surprise is.....we have decided to make room for some KC ducks!!!........:love:lol::thumbsup......Surprise!!...Surprise!!...Surprise!!....in my best Gomer voice.....:bow:lol::gig:frow

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
What almost? Do it ... unless you have no tomato hornworms. Though lots of white things look REALLY bright under the black light. I got mine at Harbor Freight, < $10 I think. You can find much smaller hornworms that way than visually during the day. And the HUGE ones you don't see during the day because you are focusing on finding smaller ones.

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
What almost? Do it ... unless you have no tomato hornworms. Though lots of white things look REALLY bright under the black light. I got mine at Harbor Freight, < $10 I think. You can find much smaller hornworms that way than visually during the day. And the HUGE ones you don't see during the day because you are focusing on finding smaller ones.
The almost are the tomato worms, I almost want one so I can try...almost.... :gig

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Should I?....should I??.....aahhh heck, why not.....did ya know that the tomato hornworm is also known as the tobacco worm??....they camoflouge as a curled leaf during the day and devour in the dark....tho ya can catch a few getting a snack....guess what really likes them??.....Yep...KC ducks!!..... :lol: :lol:....the ones we are having trouble with eat a small hole in the green ones as small things and grow inside to a good sized catapillar and eating the contents...when the initial hole area begins to rot it is noticed and pulled....of course the catapillar isn't allowed to return....;)...Joyce was able to dust this evening and she said that she has seen songbirds eating the ripe ones, so intend to take some measures to curb the "buffet"....🤣....oh, I tried the "addage" about the crows...ya know, where ya can hang a dead one to keep others at bay?....well, I tried it with skeeters and it don't work....:lol::gig....was out with Gabbie and killed 5 in 1 smack....left them stuck to my leg....and it was like ringing the "dinner bell".....:thumbsup

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
The hornworms aren't EXACTLY the same critter. But close enough :D

CURIOUSLY! I just looked them up and apparently I've never seen a tomato hornworm! I wonder what those tobacco hornworms were doing in So. Cal - no tobacco growing there, none here either.
5RLH6RRHXRALZZ9LXZBLSZVLMZTLXZOLMZSH8RVLQZHH8RBLKZCL0Z0H7ZVL4RDLSZOL6RZHKRWLIZOLPRHHKZPLQROZ.jpg

I've never had a hornworm eat a tomato, they just devour the leaves and drop increasingly large poops on anything below them.