CntryBoy777 - The Lazy A** Acres Adventures

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
They gave her Meticorten injection and Amoxcillian/Clavulanate tabs 375mg
We appreciate the advice and will get an order in....Thanks!!
No problem! :)
Ask your vet about Enrofloxacin...it's stronger and longer-lasting than Amoxi/Clav with less side-effects and it tends to work a whole lot better! It is pricier though but more times than not, it's worth it :)

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Looks like staph infection - causes can be from grass allergies. Some grasses are high allergen grasses. Many dogs will adjust in time but treatment is necessary- I see you got her treated.

Bermuda grass is high allergen and when our shepherds first were exposed we ended up with Staph, within a year the dogs adjusted to bermuda and never had another problem. Centipede, is another culprit.
Watch for sand fleas though they can be problematic.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks @Southern by choice !!....I was totally unaware of that too Bay....I do believe we have narrowed down the cause, not positive, but it does "fit" and make sense to me after Joyce showed me her waist and ankles....she is peppered with bites and intense itching.....oak tree mites!!.....they are very similar to chiggers, but are in oak trees and this time of year they are usually on the leaves and are blown or shaken down to the ground and will bite humans and pets. They appeared on Gabbie in the thin haired underbelly and groin areas first....she scratched and bit them and we didn't really notice them right away and they got infected causing the staph infection and that is when we noticed them. Her appetite and energy diminshed with the infection and she lost weight weakening her immune system....also had just came out of her heat cycle....so, since the infection has subsided and we are treating the new spots the infection is kept at bay....her appetite and energy have returned and she is gaining some weight back....usually their fur will protect them from most of the mites, but when we play she sits on the ground and with the huge oaks on the property there isn't anywhere that is totally immune to them....with a better idea of the cause we can take steps to be better prepared for them next year and will have to be watchful til this seaon ends this year....propably in late Oct, early Nov this year....this is the 1 stand out difference between all tbe places, we had plenty of oaks in Mississippi too, but she didn't play under them as much as here because we would walk her to the fields to play....I'm just thankful for a logical reason, cause we were going nuts trying to figure it out.....Thanks to ALL for your much needed help, direction, and assistance....I'll sure keep ya posted on her and if this turns out to be correct.....:)

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Gee thanks @Bruce !!....just what are ya really saying?...that I'm not "beautiful" enough already?.....:lol:..:lol:
I was too anxious to make our trip to @B&B Happy goats and knew the pressure was on me to produce some BBQ chicken wings for them and couldn't get to sleep....;)
Now I have "witnesses" that I can make some fanger lickin Good BBQ wings...:drool.....ya shoulda seen them going at it...;)...Leon kept puting his piece down to lick em, then pick em back up take another bite, and lick em again....:lol:....not a single drop fell off the meat but none went to waste as we were all smackin and lickin....:p.....after I was finished Missy and Sophie cleaned up the residue from my fangers for me and then thanked me with some facial licks.....:gig.....Joyce's potato salad and Barb's baked beans were superb and everyone was stuffed....we did leave them a few pcs to have later for a snack, but we had a really Great day and enjoed the "petting zoo" too....:)....Piper is a little Sweetie and Joyce fed her a bottle before we left...:love.....oh, and when we pulled up, all 3 dogs came running to greet us....guess we've made a Hit with them too.....:)