Coccidia :(

Britgoes2market

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Okay so we brought in 3 new lambs to our herd, They are 3 months old, I've had them for 3 weeks. 5 days ago I noticed they had super wet, yucky bums with the worst kind of diarrhea. Took the worst one to the vet, it's Coccidia. Which in the 7 years of owning livestock this is the first time I have ever seen it, and I'm not super sure where it came from.

This super sick lamb though, has fasted the last two days and I'm worried she isn't going to make it. The vet prescribed a sulfur drug for them, they have had two doses....I have given her nutridrench, vitamin B, and probios in the hopes of keeping her rumen going. She is miserable. They also have electrolytes in their water.....Is there anything else I should be doing? Waiting and seeing is getting pretty awful.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’ve had sheep for almost 9 years and got my first coccidia 2 months ago. Difference is, the minute I saw the beginning of runny poop smeared on one, I knew immediately what it was. I used Corrid and Vitamin B paste, that had a lot of B1 or Thiamine in it. Corrid directions are for cattle and trying to decipher that and come up with a sheep dosage was confusing so I did an internet search.

Instead of mixing with water, I found directions for using it straight as a drench. It’s
1 and 1/2 ml per 10 pounds once a day for 5 days. Corrid in the morning, probiotic paste in the evening. Day 3 and 6, give the B1 paste in the evening instead of the probiotics. All 3 lambs survived.

Corrid shuts down the production of B1, which can cause death. So that’s why to use the vitamin B paste.

I hope your lambs get better. Coccidia is present in the soil. Wet conditions can cause it to bloom.

Please let me know how your lambs are doing.

Britgoes2market

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I went out there this morning fully expecting her to have passed....and praise the Lord she was chewing on some cud.....Oh gosh what an emotional roller coaster!

I have the 3 sick lambs on a dry lot away from the herd...however they were exposed to everyone for the 3 days I was trying to figure out what was going on. The vet doesn't seem to think they will get it? But I'm keeping my eye on them like a hawk. I did purchase Corid from the feed store in case anyone else gets it. It looks like I 'll be going back to load up on Vitamin B as well.
I just appreciate when I'm emotional I can come here and just let out bits of steam to you all. Thank you!

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
OK -- I just had lunch with a friend who got 30?-40? sheep a couple weeks ago. Should've been yearlings but they were weanlings. AND --- several just tested positive for coccidia. In the 35 yrs she's had sheep this is the first time she's had to deal with it.
Seems strange that it's popping up all over at the same time. Yeah, I know - wet winter, fluctuating temps, etc- but we've had that before. Just strange.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’ve had sheep for almost 9 years and got my first coccidia 2 months ago. Difference is, the minute I saw the beginning of runny poop smeared on one, I knew immediately what it was. I used Corrid and Vitamin B paste, that had a lot of B1 or Thiamine in it. Corrid directions are for cattle and trying to decipher that and come up with a sheep dosage was confusing so I did an internet search.

Instead of mixing with water, I found directions for using it straight as a drench. It’s
1 and 1/2 ml per 10 pounds once a day for 5 days. Corrid in the morning, probiotic paste in the evening. Day 3 and 6, give the B1 paste in the evening instead of the probiotics. All 3 lambs survived.

Corrid shuts down the production of B1, which can cause death. So that’s why to use the vitamin B paste.

I hope your lambs get better. Coccidia is present in the soil. Wet conditions can cause it to bloom.

Please let me know how your lambs are doing.
Really?
Is that from the pre-made liquid bottle or the powder?

I see so many different amounts.
One chart was less than the cattle dose.