Coffee anyone ?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Coffee and buttered toast is ready. Gonna be another hot one. I have a bunch of tomatoes I need to do something with, either can or put in the freezer for later canning. Two cantaloupes to slice and dehydrate. Need to pick eggplant.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, another hot morning, hotter day. Expecting 98-100 actual & 108-110 with index. YEAH, HOT! Watered garden. No rain in 2 weeks,. Topped off all troughs and made sure everyone in a field with plenty of shade. Chickens have gone on strike with laying -- they just stand and pant, go under anything giving shade. Humidity is high. I can relate because I'm out there too. Of course, I can come in to AC. I have fans in the barns to keep air flowing and it helps with bugs, too. The cats -- well, they are cats and have their "own" routine.

I went to a DAV thrift store last week and saw something I wanted but, didn't buy. Yesterday, I went back :D =D Well not only was the strainer insert still there (which I didn't buy, again) but some new stuff. I left with an older stainless steel pot system with 2 steamer/blancher inserts, small dent in pan near bottom -- no problem -- and what looks like a never used, clamp on table, hand grinder, with 5 set of blades. Haven't tried it yet but at $3.98 it can't break me! (Can't find my one packed somewhere :hide) The pot set was 9.98 and I couldn't get the size or quality for triple that. Hey, never too many pots! This will be ideal while blanching to freeze...even deep for water bath canning. $15 well spent. :D

That's my big shopping trip. I'm looking for a propane burner unit -- on the cheap, LOL -- big enough to handle a canner, etc., for outside use. No rush. Just waiting and it will show. A double burner one is $124 at WM. I want it for way, way less.

Let's all work through these hot, hot days with plenty of hydration! Plenty of breaks! Plenty of shade time! Stay safe. :frow

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
It’s very simple. Cut in half, scoop seeds, quarter and peel. Slice thin, about 1/8-1/4 inch. Put in dehydrator, it takes a whole day to dry. I turn it off at night because of the roaring noise. If they aren’t “done” I turn it back on for a short time then bag them. For long term storage I vacuum seal. I’ll bet your kids will like Cantaloupe Jerky!

View attachment 76092

Thanks for the coffee, I slept till 7:30!! I was tired. I have tomatoes and eggplant staring at me. More to pick in the garden too. The long green beans are coming in, I’ve canned 12 pints of Kentucky Wonder beans and they are loaded with blooms. Purple Hull peas are loaded with blooms and small peas, I have six rows, 50’ long. I’ve got to get sweet corn planted! I’m canning, freezing and dehydrating like a squirrel packing acorns away for winter! LOL LOL
I had some of Bay’s melon jerky when we visited them this las week. It is very good! :drool

Coffee is ready. Yesterday I gave veggies to a neighbor. He and his wife are disabled and appreciated it. 4 cantaloupe, a bunch of green beans, tomatoes and eggplant. We have abundance and are glad to share.
Bay and her hubby are very generous that way. They always have lots going on, in their garden! What they don’t have time to can/dehydrate/freeze, gets donated to other’s. And the scraps go to the animals, so there’s no waste where Bay is involved!!! :D

Last edited:

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Coffee is on. Need to get feed, drop off 4h paperwork, dentist apt for dd2, get hay.
Yesterday day had a day of rest. Church, and watched a movie. Did take more tools to the farm and cut up a shelf for the dumpster. Need to process beans, zuccini and cabbage this week. And the corn is coming on. Discovered my arminian cucumbers aren't cucumbers but muskmelon... have some them ready too.
Broke down and gave Richie Banamine last night. All the rain has his hooves soft... :\ and this week won't be much better.glad for the rain but.... ugh wish we were at the farm. I am hoping the Sandy soil over there will help him.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the coffee PA. I slept late, just got up. I was tired.

Poor Ritchie. Get a jar of Hoofmaker. Rub it into the top of the hoof where it grows out. Rub the whole hoof and the bottom of his hoof too. It will make your fingernails hard too. You can also add diatomaceous earth to his feed and the silica will harden his hooves as they grow out. The DE will work over time as the hoof grows, the Hoofmaker will work now.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I got up later than usual, opened coops, fed horses, topped water tanks, , ran to town -- got a truckload of feed at TSC & a couple things from grocery. Hey, even a tiny bit of yeast in stock at the store. It wouldn't have been but was at back of a top shelf. Yep, I know how find things! Three jars. Bought one & moved others forward. I should be good for most of the winter now with what I already had. Sure not cooking anything in this heat wave!! But will be in a couple of months.

By the time I got home, unloaded feed, moved goats to another pasture, where "breakfast was served"..... then fed the weaned bucklings, & milked one goat. Heck, I was drenched! Shirt was all wet. Inside for lunch. Back out for a couple small things and I then felt I had earned a couple hour break. Here I am, with a bottle of cold water. ;) I'll get back out there in a while -- more to do! Until then, I'm turning 4 gal of milk into some cheeses. Got another 4 I need to move for the room & jars but, won't be today!

The hens have apparently acclimated to this heat now as I'm back to getting more eggs. Still way off but, hey -- I sure understand!!! Goats are down on milk, also. Customers have been doing ok and getting somewhat less than usual. They understand. Been selling to most of them for a couple years.

I am craving a good homemade pound cake. o_O Too hot to bake it :he