Coffee anyone ?

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wish we had a scrounge section. It kills me to see some of the perfectly good stuff that ends up at the dump. There is a wood recycling section for pallets and lumber, tree limbs and brush. They have a gigantic grinder machine that reduces it all to small chips. I have been known to back up to the pile in a spot that has some promising looking wood, and casually load plywood back into my truck when I have pulled out my work related brushy debris. They have No Scavenging signs all over and video surveillance, but so far no lights and sirens have followed me out the gate.
🤫

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wish we had a scrounge section. It kills me to see some of the perfectly good stuff that ends up at the dump. There is a wood recycling section for pallets and lumber, tree limbs and brush. They have a gigantic grinder machine that reduces it all to small chips. I have been known to back up to the pile in a spot that has some promising looking wood, and casually load plywood back into my truck when I have pulled out my work related brushy debris. They have No Scavenging signs all over and video surveillance, but so far no lights and sirens have followed me out the gate.
🤫
Ack! That would drive me crazy!!!

I am now banned from doing dump runs... the kids or spouse have to go...

Because usually I would come back with more than I hauled away. :hide

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Our dump is similar, no scrounging allowed! You just have to wait for the right person to be on duty lol. It’s amazing what people throw out! Especially after hurricanes; metal sheets, wood, play house roofs, play houses, bent fence panels. They should totally allow us to reclaim stuff! Maybe next time I just “won’t ask”. In oyster season they even have a huge container of shucked oyster shells, talk about great chicken coop flooring or even driveways, but they sell that to the local quarries usually.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our dump is similar, no scrounging allowed! You just have to wait for the right person to be on duty lol. It’s amazing what people throw out! Especially after hurricanes; metal sheets, wood, play house roofs, play houses, bent fence panels. They should totally allow us to reclaim stuff! Maybe next time I just “won’t ask”. In oyster season they even have a huge container of shucked oyster shells, talk about great chicken coop flooring or even driveways, but they sell that to the local quarries usually.
See? You understand! How in the world could I pass up stuff like that!!!

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Coffee is on.
No free dumps around here, you have to pay to get rid of stuff, burn it or some bury it. The county we used to live in had a public place where you could take brush and such, they chipped it up and anyone was free to load up the chips for whatever use. It was nice.
Still no kits. Sold a bunny yesterday, another one was supposed to be picked up today but looking at other transports now...the transportation was using cardboard boxes. They had too far to go in a box. :duc if a local person comes with a box I am ok with it. But this was a "professional " transport. And a 3 to 4 day trip. :he glad the buyer found out before they got here.... but ugh.
Finally got Jocelyn's pony measured for a sheet. We don't blanket often but I like to have them available, and Schneiders has a very good sale right now. We'll see what he thinks about it. Co op and off to get dog food.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have localized dumps, no scrounge allowed. Shame really as many times --- well, ones trash, another's treasure! We need to repurpose. Sometimes the tenders look the other way. ;) I sure understand reclaiming.

Watched the inauguration and the poet was AMAZING!

Cool start here -- thin ice on troughs but, heading to low 50s. I'll take it happily.

Last edited:

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I can only GUESS that the no scrounging rules was made by lawyers. Someone will get hurt digging through the stuff then sue the pants off the city for having allowed unsafe activity. Such is our litigious society.

I had to do my own dumpster diving when half the house was rebuilt. The guys ripped everything out and kept throwing it in the dumpster. Broken up drywall OK but basically new 2x4's? OK, they weren't 8' any more (low ceilings here) but that doesn't make them unusable. I've made lots of stuff from the wood I pulled out of the dumpster.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
The back sliding window in my former chicken coop/current tack room was pulled out of a construction dumpster at a job dh was on.

A new house went in next door to one of my clients (14,000 sf !) and it was unbelievable what was in the dumpster. I trespassed and peeked, but wasn't bold enough to take. The people building the house, well the woman specifically, is pretty rabid, and I didn't want to get on her bad side since I have to work next door. No telling what kind of clout they have. They are some sort of personal friends to Bill gates I understand.
Yep, best to remain an anonymous nobody on their radar I think.

It's funny, the arborist company I use on that job also works for the neighbor and described them as "preservationists". Made me laugh as I wondered exactly what they were preserving with a house for 2 people that size. I won't even get started on the damage done to the 200 year old Ponderosa pines that are surrounding their ridiculous mansion.
Sorry,! Taking a deep breath now....

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
A new house went in next door to one of my clients (14,000 sf !)
Indoor pool? And indoor tennis?

Indoor BBQ????

Uh...uh.....

His and her house halves???? (Wait no... that means a 7k one person house..)

Oh!!! Wait!! Now I know!!! His and her house halves PLUS wood storage, indoor forge, wood working room, indoor riding arena, horse barn, pigeon loft, goat barn, chicken coop... all connected indoors!! :drool

Ok,THAT adds up to 14k.. especially with the mom in law suit in the back... and the roof access greenhouse. ;)

Latest posts