Coffee anyone ?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I get the chemical thing @Mini Horses ... the other side of the coin is that by killing off the field, which is often something like Rye planted as a cover crop in the fall to keep from having the soil bare to the winds and weather which helps to retain the topsoil.....the crop that dies is a mulch on the ground that is now NO - TILL planted to a crop like corn. So there is no plowing, no run off, no wind loss of topsoil again. And the crop that dies, will help to keep down the weeds as a mulch, and actually can help the new crop growing if there is a late frost or freeze.
Not saying that it is the best way to go.... just that it is a way that ag has "evolved" to get away from so much plowing that causes so much loss of topsoil...and several trips over the field with equipment that compacts the soil also. I wish there was a way to kill off a crop without the chemicals.... and it is less "poisonous" than it used to be, and the chemicals used are more geared toward the specific crop that is there rather than an overall broad spectrum herbicide.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Off to pick up the TWO pigs that the total amount of meat is #108 lbs...what a screw up that pig experience has been....total cost per pound ... (cost of pigs,feed and butchering and wrapping) a whopping. $8.32 ....talk about stupid 🙄
I Missed that.... how did you get so little meat at such high cost?

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lucky you don't have to work with 3d printer.. My son asked for it for a long time, but now I don't know what to do with this strange machineo_O For example, what are people finding the best settings for printing TPU. At the moment I have the speed at 25mm as any higher the filament just sticks in the gears. The print is so slow it’s just silly. The printer is an ender 3.
Wow... you lost me at 3d printer.

Kid 3 on occasion asks for one.

I say ha, go out and use your welder, or a knife on a block of wood.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Chicken tribbles? Now my mind has melted.

They have eyeballs in the fluff somewhere. They're not quite at the absurdly cute stage yet, but they're getting close.

View attachment 84312
They've just made seven weeks old now, they're not old enough to move to new homes yet. Still dunno the genders or which ones will stay and which ones will go. There's forty two bunnies here at the moment although twenty two of them are still very young so we need a few more.

Two dozen adults is about the right number for the herd. These critters are 'livestock' don'tcha know? We're yarn farmers, hmm, or maybe we should be yarn ranchers since the yarn fiber comes from livestock and not plants?
Those bunnies are impressively cute.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
I Missed that.... how did you get so little meat at such high cost?
Bought two piglets last May, was told they were hampshire/ Berkshire cross....long story short...they were Ferrell florida piney pigs that he caught and lied abot...almost $900 in feed....butcher said I could feed them for another six months and they still wouldn't gain more weight....seller lied, and I will deal with him soon....still to pissed off to go see him, jail isn't in my plans... 🤬

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bought two piglets last May, was told they were hampshire/ Berkshire cross....long story short...they were Ferrell florida piney pigs that he caught and lied abot...almost $900 in feed....butcher said I could feed them for another six months and they still wouldn't gain more weight....seller lied, and I will deal with him soon....still to pissed off to go see him, jail isn't in my plans... 🤬
WOW, I had to look it up... but max weight... is a huge difference between a Hampshire and what you got.

No wonder you are so angry.

:hugs

Deep inhale, cleansing exhale.

Jail bad.... peaceful life good.

At least you know the meat was well treated and chemical free... that is worth a premium. :old

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
WOW, I had to look it up... but max weight... is a huge difference between a Hampshire and what you got.

No wonder you are so angry.

:hugs

Deep inhale, cleansing exhale.

Jail bad.... peaceful life good.

At least you know the meat was well treated and chemical free... that is worth a premium. :old
Chemical free and well treated came at premium price :lol:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
A note on the chemical killing off of fields, and my comments about the cover crops and trying to "save" more of the topsoil. Came across an article from the "Smithsonianmag.com .... April 14, 2021.... called Nations Corn Belt has Lost a Third of its Topsoil...... interesting reading.... and tied in to what I was saying in some ways.... about the horrible loss of topsoil with the farming practices of CONSTANT plowing and leaving the land bare....that was practiced for years... and continual mono-cropping...