Coffee anyone ?

Show Sebright

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So I was at the dollar store… and I saw these flower and garden metal tins. And the bottom was spelled fleurs and jardin

Attachments

• 02C4A247-71FA-43AA-BFDB-4B096825F8CC.jpeg
    02C4A247-71FA-43AA-BFDB-4B096825F8CC.jpeg
    337.3 KB · Views: 39

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Foggy again this morning. 53F with high of 72F and will be cloudy today. Rains come back on Wednesday. Boo. It’s getting daylight, sheep are stirring but I’m gonna drink my second cup of coffee.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Another gorgeous day here. Sun 42 - 64 currently 54. Finishing the first cuppa. Only had the first half before we headed out to graze. Got a pile of little things on the "DO IT" list today - hopefully I'll make a dent.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I know some of y’all probably have a random chicken or 2 running around. Have y’all been feeding purina or purina owned brands? Because I was and I got no eggs and then I switched and I’m getting tons. Apparently there is some crazy theories out there but have y’all had a problem?
DH mentioned that to me the other day. Not sure where he heard it but called DDIL1 who has raised chickens and other poultry for years and she said she heard it too. It is apparently one brand that changed their formula - ("improved it"?) and somehow it caused the hens to stop laying for some people. Thought it was a brand from TSC but not sure. Some people thought it was Purina, others said Pilgrim's Pride, whatever it was it started with a "P". After a lot of complaints they may have changed their formula back, not sure.

Winter is definitely the time when laying hens slack off due to daylight length. It also seems to coincide with molting of hens that were bought as chicks in the spring. They lay fewer eggs during molting as well as during winter naturally. When the now 1 year old hens start laying again in the spring the eggs are slightly larger, but you get fewer eggs since old hens lay less frequently than young poults. You can circumvent winter egg laying losses by using a timer in the henhouse that turns on a light several hours before actual dawn. This will give the hens the extra hours of "daylight" while allowing them to find their roosts at dusk. If you hook up the timer to add light after dusk, then when the timer shuts off the chickens are left in the dark without time to find a roost.

I used to buy my chicks at the end of summer when the feed store was closing ut the older chcks that had begun to feather out. They would be half price and I would stock up with fewer weeks to keep them in the brooder. Since they were on a different age clock than spring hatched chicks, they tended to over winter with laying and molting. Since I used the light trick too, I rarely had any loss of eggs in the winter. Here in Southern CA it stays warmer in the winter too.

Show Sebright

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
DH mentioned that to me the other day. Not sure where he heard it but called DDIL1 who has raised chickens and other poultry for years and she said she heard it too. It is apparently one brand that changed their formula - ("improved it"?) and somehow it caused the hens to stop laying for some people. Thought it was a brand from TSC but not sure. Some people thought it was Purina, others said Pilgrim's Pride, whatever it was it started with a "P". After a lot of complaints they may have changed their formula back, not sure.

Winter is definitely the time when laying hens slack off due to daylight length. It also seems to coincide with molting of hens that were bought as chicks in the spring. They lay fewer eggs during molting as well as during winter naturally. When the now 1 year old hens start laying again in the spring the eggs are slightly larger, but you get fewer eggs since old hens lay less frequently than young poults. You can circumvent winter egg laying losses by using a timer in the henhouse that turns on a light several hours before actual dawn. This will give the hens the extra hours of "daylight" while allowing them to find their roosts at dusk. If you hook up the timer to add light after dusk, then when the timer shuts off the chickens are left in the dark without time to find a roost.

I used to buy my chicks at the end of summer when the feed store was closing ut the older chcks that had begun to feather out. They would be half price and I would stock up with fewer weeks to keep them in the brooder. Since they were on a different age clock than spring hatched chicks, they tended to over winter with laying and molting. Since I used the light trick too, I rarely had any loss of eggs in the winter. Here in Southern CA it stays warmer in the winter too.
Well producers pride is owned by Purina so they’re all the same thing. I’m about to order chickens. Finally getting blue eggs! 🥳