Coffee anyone ?

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
Morning! Just finished at the gym and got my coffee in my hand.
Kinda weird weather here, upper twenties, but snowing pretty hard.
Supposed to ride my horse and run after lunch today, going to have to see what Mother Nature says about that.
Have a blessed day y'all.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Military truck back up and running, Cleaning out where I want to plant my bacon seeds, making it where it's such steep embankment they can't sprout out of there on one side. Going to have a Juniper tree in the middle I have logs blocking off and it's going to make a kidney shaped pond when they are done. Hope this works.
I don't have a stock trailer for moving these little squealers, but what I do have is an imagination and about 50 IBC totes. Take the two top cross braces out cut the top plastic off, put two cross braces back on, load them on the truck, shove some hay in and strap them down. I think I can shove about 2 or 3 per a tote, going to save one tote for a almost ready to butcher oinker.
As in you will butcher?

Or... to transport to a processor when they are big enough?

peteyfoozer

Herd Master
Reaction score
IMG_7509.jpeg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the coffee….. I think. Maybe I should just make my own. I promise I won’t touch anybody else’s coffee!

@Sequestered Ridge Ranch to encourage piggies to root, drill holes, start with 6” deep, then progressively drill deeper, fill with soured corn. To sour the corn, put desired amount in a bucket with lid. The lid is to keep other things out, like mice or whatever. Cover with water, several inches above corn. Add 1 cup of buttermilk. Let sit no less than 3 days. As cold as it is where you are, you may need to keep in shop near a warm place. You want the corn to be good and smelly. Drain water off into another bucket, this will start the next bucket. Add more water and buttermilk.

Hogs will take you down when carrying a bucket of soured corn. For safety’s sake, have a pen to feed them in that you can close. Feed over the fence. I had a trough, staked down, with wire from stake to stake, to keep them from dragging it all over the place. Hogs are powerful. Close them up while you “seed” the corn where you want them to root.

A barrel of water, OUTSIDE of the fence, with pipe and hog nipple sticking inside the fence will make sure they don’t turn over water tub to play in water, then being thirsty. Plus you don’t have to go in to find tub while being swarmed by thirsty hogs.

I’ll go find my thread where I built the Pig Palace.

Last edited:

Weldman

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
As in you will butcher?

Or... to transport to a processor when they are big enough?
No, to transport them to my place.
Just confess where you hid the bodies on the 3rd page of search results on Google and no one will ever find it.
Thanks for the coffee….. I think. Maybe I should just make my own. I promise I won’t touch anybody else’s coffee!

@Sequestered Ridge Ranch to encourage piggies to root, drill holes, start with 6” deep, then progressively drill deeper, fill with soured corn. To sour the corn, put desired amount in a bucket with lid. The lid is to keep other things out, like mice or whatever. Cover with water, several inches above corn. Add 1 cup of buttermilk. Let sit no less than 3 days. As cold as it is where you are, you may need to keep in shop near a warm place. You want the corn to be good and smelly. Drain water off into another bucket, this will start the next bucket. Add more water and buttermilk.

Hogs will take you down when carrying a bucket of soured corn. For safety’s sake, have a pen to feed them in that you can close. Feed over the fence. I had a trough, staked down, with wire from stake to stake, to keep them from dragging it all over the place. Hogs are powerful. Close them up while you “seed” the corn where you want them to root.

A barrel of water, OUTSIDE of the fence, with pipe and hog nipple sticking inside the fence will make sure they don’t turn over water tub to play in water, then being thirsty. Plus you don’t have to go in to find tub while being swarmed by thirsty hogs.

I’ll go find my thread where I built the Pig Palace.

I use to wrestle gators, a piggy take me down, that will be the day when I say I am getting old. Get me a home made cattle prod and lets see who attacks who. Though very informative on getting them to root and such. Overall I get your point, it's like going into a kennel full of dogs trying to feed them and all they want is the food.

Almost done digging out where I want them, basically went down 2 to 4' in a U shape around a juniper tree still got more to go, but over all when and if it seals up it will add to a firebreak. I'm worried with the rock in places I didn't get enough up and will seep through to the ground.
Edit: Looking around and it seems I'm getting a good deal for $50 a bacon seed for 10 of them in this market, looks like they go for $100 a piece.

Last edited:

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not really sure the right place to do this, so hoping to pop in here if thats ok.
It looks like it is making national news that three college swimmers were killed in a car accident yesterday.
This hits close to home for many reasons. I have traveled the road frequently, and from what I am reading, their accident was similar to what I experienced a couple of years ago.
The community is hurting today. We will be as ok as we can be, but I know the news is making rounds, so I just figured I would update from here.