Coffee anyone ?

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm officially calling it snake season. This one - a gopher (aka good guy eats rattlesnakes) slithered across the big arena on Saturday....
IMG_6879.JPEG

I didn't take him out, but made sure he didn't slither into the UTV or the tractor - handy to have a shovel.

Skiesblue

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I surprised a fey beastie myself in the greenhouse (greenhouse = two arched cattle panels with plastic sheeting). Not a rattlesnake, maybe a copperhead, probably a chicken snake. He ducked under a rusted bunk that’s home to tomato plants. I didn’t get that stomach jump that I used to when I saw a snake. Heck yesterday I was damn near special guest star in a head on collision near miss (some idiot Had To Pass me), put two oncoming cars on the shoulder including a constable who was Not Amused. My brain paused then said “Oh good, I’m not dead.” Wasn’t time for a bless me Jesus. A person would think I’d get a little flutter. Maybe age does bring wisdom and calm. I skipped the special coffee but did have some Bluebell ice cream. Today I filled two 40 gallon containers with barn cleanout and our Queen City sand and tarped the rest of the pile since heavy rain is on the way. My garden isn’t going to be much this year, getting containers and filling them mostly.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
OMG...Out to get any eggs missed earlier. Hen had been on nest earlier but, nothing there.🫤. Odd. Then I look up at exact spot morning snake was and there's another. 🥴🫨I actually rubbed my eyes, slapped my face -- to be sure I wasn't dreaming. 😳😳 Nope, it's real. Not wanting to show favoritism, I got the spray & machete. End result....added to other dead one!🤬 About 8" shorter. Hope that's it!!! But, I bought 2 new cans of spray already. Don't want too many of these days. At least rat snakes are not venomous.

It's disturbing. 2 snakes & a possum this week. 🤐

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
SNAAAAAKES!

Better watch out!
Better not hiss
Run for your life
I’m telling you why
Mini Horses is buying more spray
She sees you when you’re sleeping
She knows when you’re awake
Stay out of her hen house
Stay away for goodness sake

She’ll hit you with wasp spray
And chop you to pieces
Throw you in the road
You should’ve been catching mieces
Mini Horses is buying MORE spray!

Tune from Santa Claus is Coming to Town

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Coffee is ready! I prefer mine without snakes. Going to run ewes/lambs through the chute today. I processed the fecal samples and know who needs worming. Some are doing extremely well, a few are extremely bad, with most falling in the middle. Going to be a fun morning!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Coffee here -- fresh, hot and I'm NOT going to that barn!😁 May always look at "that" spot first step in. 🥴 Am I a serial killer? 🤔 I have one hens nest there that's inside a tube, facing a wall....prob won't reach in there without looking first now!

More heat today....right now they're saying prob low 90s, possible rain 5-10pm. I'm ok with rain! Garden will be happy, pop those seeds up. Don't truly need the heat. Seems too early for it BUT it is almost June, so pretty much not unusual. Summer, beaches, etc....lived in VA Beach with all that for years. Tourists! Crowds! Mayhem! 🤣. Don't go there now if I can avoid it...traffic🥴

Back to work today....then nothing until Tues 👍☺️. Right now, only 1 day of jobs next week. OK!! The heat today will remind me it's that time of year to work early mornings & late afternoons -- inside mid day. Reckon it'll take a few days out to adjust. I tend to relax, awaken slower early morns at this stage of life. 🤣🤷

Last edited:

CLSranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
. Odd. Then I look up at exact spot morning snake was and there's another. 🥴🫨I actually rubbed my eyes, slapped my face -- to be sure I wasn't dreaming. 😳😳 Nope, it's real. Not wanting to show favoritism, I got the spray & machete. End result....added to other dead one!🤬 About 8" shorter. Hope that's it!!!
I always find them in pairs. Every year sometimes 2 or 3 times a year. Never at the same time but from the next day to a couple of weeks, we always find the 2nd. Usually about this time of year after the hens have set eggs for a couple of weeks, the first one will come and clean out the nest before we find it then the next one a couple of weeks later, THEN she quits early on the third batch after she has actually set for 6 weeks already.
My BYC pic is a "not that big" rat snake trying to eat a 4 month old RIR hen.

Weldman

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Pulled 100 gallons on my well yesterday before cloud cover stopped it, don't expect to start pulling today due to rain all day in the forecast. I'm going to "attempt" to take a break 😏 and recover some.
Lets see how long that lasts before going stir crazy.