Coffee anyone ?

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have in the forecast (and have had for 2 weeks) a 40% chance, but if you look closely at the map, you can see the yellow dot immediately North of where Houston and Galveston Bay are. I am located within that yellow dot.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
We are getting rains here in VA. My area getting occasional (very) rains last 2 & next 3 days. Moderate temps. Grass will be butt deep to a tall giraffe! Have gotten about 2" in 2 days and often heavy in air drizzly stuff. Hard to accomplish some projects as everything is slick.

I have had a young fox around the farm for a couple weeks and he likes chicken!! lost 3 before I got things battened down. Been watching for it and double checking all. Last night I go out to do a barn check -- some chickens roost in there, need to change that!! -- and as I walk into the barn, flashlight in hand, I hear a hen sqwacking. Scan with light to see why (I'm thinking snake?) and am facing a skunk!! We were both startled. We both backed up. :D

Went out, shut door & checked a spot I had seen digging -- yep, fresh again. Small hole into barn at a spot that was block & crete but had allowed spot to run a bathroom drain out. Back inside -- slow & careful -- there it was, in a corner, had eaten some eggs I had not yet picked up. Back out. Waited a few and it scampered out the hole it had entered. Nice. Filled access with solid cement block out & brick inside.

Outside, I scan around with light to see if it has left area -- and there is the fox!! Go in for gun. Back out & it is there in field next door, I go toward and it heads back to woods.

Guess I need to have a regular time outside. Will pick up some larger live traps today and bait with some wet cat foods and old chicken necks. Haven't had a fox around in about 4-5 years. Just hope it is alone but, doubt as it is coming back often! May have kits in a den. DS has been seeing it most nights.

Otherwise -- I am having my coffee and getting ready for work. Probably half a day...need to pick up a couple things from Lowe's & TSC while out there. Want to set up some hot wire at chicken areas later today. Have several solar chargers, all charged and ready! Will help until trapped or SSS.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have a fox that was getting braver and closer to the house that sits in the middle of 42 acres. Queenie has also grown up and is loose 90% of the time. Have seen her run the fox off (it was close to perimeter fence and she was a distance away when she spotted it.) I haven’t seen it since! I’m sure she will finish it given the opportunity. She was ready to when it went through the fence that evening and hightailed it!