Coffee anyone ?

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I echo a window unit. You can get a 5000btu 110V slide in for about $120 at walmart.
I have one in the lower bedroom for exactly this reason and, it also allows us to be able to keep one room cool on our generator without disconnecting the refrigerator and freezers if we have an extended power outage in hurricane season..

(free overnite delivery by Wed.)
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Arctic-King-5-000-BTU-Mechanical-Window-A-C-White/222806043

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
God bless you for the heat.I wouldn't want it. Still we hit 91 today, there was a little breeze. I got hot on the ford 4600 raking hay though. No canopy and no cab.
I don't have air conditioning at the house. There have only been about a half dozen days that it was nearly unbearable. Have never had air in any place I have lived. It is very hard on a person that works outside to be in and out of air all the time. It would maybe be nice to have it down to 75 or so on real hot days, but I have never wanted it to be real cool inside. I have never lived in a real hot climate like those of you in Tx or Ga or Fl... but I did go to see a friend of mine a couple times a year in Fl so was there in the hot summer. Air was nice to go inside to for awhile. I get headaches from things being all closed up so would go outside for a little bit just to get the outside air. Riding in a car with the air on gives me headaches. My car has air and I will put it on but not real cold, and then have a couple windows open for air flow. I know, I'm weird.

Last edited:

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Mini Horses I recently moved here and I don't know anyone well enough to feel comfortable asking them for a favor :hu
@greybeard thank you for the link, I appreciate it. I won't be able to get it until payday though...and that's on Wednesday. The timing couldn't be worse!
Didn't even think about the holiday coming up...
I sure hope it gets fixed tomorrow! :fl

Last edited:

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
God bless you for the heat.I wouldn't want it. Still we hit 91 today, there was a little breeze. I got hot on the ford 4600 raking hay though. No canopy and no cab.
I don't have air conditioning at the house. There have only been about a half dozen days that it was nearly unbearable. Have never had air in any place I have lived. It is very hard on a person that works outside to be in and out of air all the time. It would maybe be nice to have it down to 75 or so on real hot days, but I have never wanted it to be real cool inside. I have never lived in a real hot climate like those of you in Tx or Ga or Fl... but I did go to see a friend of mine a coupld times a year in Fl so was there in the hot summer. Air was nice to go inside to for awhile. I get headaches from things being all closed up so would go outside for a little bit just to get the outside air. Riding in a car with the air on gives me headaches. My car has air and I will put it on but not real cold, and then have a couple windows open for air flow. I know, I'm weird.
I don't think you're weird at all! Everyone's different ;)

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
In a way, I fully agree with Farmer Jan.
AC is the devil.
Makes ya soft..and in that regard, I'm soft. I do fine if I'm outside working, but just sitting around outside,or just standing doing minor stuff at the workbench in the shop it's tough. Sitting inside without ac would be worse, tho I have in the last 15 yrs lived for a time (14 mos) without ac here in this same county.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have always had AC... you take the top sheet and flap it a few times before you go to sleep. :cool:

I have lived in Texas without AC a few times... but most of the time in Texas I did have AC. Back then I preferred a good fan over AC. I had an attic fan in the house I last lived in back in Texas... I think they got that attic fan off of a jet engine. With that fan on there was such a great breeze, no need for AC.

I did though.... when working outside close to Alice, Texas greatly enjoy the AC in the bunkhouse.

I always went in for lunch... had a bit of a slow lunch... then went back out and worked until dusk. I didn't mind working in the heat... but that cool air at lunch was nice!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
My AC is set at 74 and the main feature is the humidity reduction. We are humid here. It is cooler than the outside but, it isn't near cold. In fact, it is often turned off at night and some days only on a few hrs. I don't like cold but, cooler is good when it's 90 out & high humidity.. :)

Can sure appreciate the "wait for payday" part, especially with the repair bill added on. We were just all offering up ideas. Then comes "swamp cooler" A tub with ice by the fan. Cooler air to pull from. Melts fast at 102! :hide Just hope the parts are there and ready by tomorrow :fl

Up at 3 this AM o_O Couldn't sleep any longer...so got up. Coffee finished the wake up and now I'm waiting on daylight. Roosters just started, so can't be long now.:D =D Will check everyone's water...won't be much to top off as all full at 8PM. Toss a little feed to some. Had a quick shower late day yesterday and enough to knock dust but, also all things wet. Had hoped to mow this morning, can't now. I'll do something else. Have to leave about 11:30 for work. It will be an interesting day, cooking ribeye steaks for sampling. :highfive: It will be annoyingly slow until about 4:30, then pick up until I shut down at 6. Just a long day as you think about all the things you need/want to do while "standing around" with almost no customers. :rolleyes: May be a tiny busier with it being first of month. Hey, it's my job. :D Busy Sat/Sun though, as usual.

Hope everyone awakens to great weather, good health, a great day with only pleasant happenings!:frow