Coffee anyone ?

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cold yesterday at 14° had a hoody and long John shirt on to do chores. And regular pants.

Just had to post that for @Baymule

Cold again today 12° might have to add gloves.

I'd rather have 12° and frozen over 36-40° and rain. It's alot warmer. Booth a 1000lbs of feed and 100 bales of hay and straw and moved fire wood yesterday.
you either crazy or need more clothes or baymule and I are just wimps......

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
you either crazy or need more clothes or baymule and I are just wimps......
Me and you are just wimps. :lol: It's 28F here this morning. And humid.

@Simpleterrier you can keep your cold weather, mine is bad enough. I'm hoping we can slide through February without any winter storms. I'm trying to get moved, fix up house I'm moving to, build pens and shelter for sheep/dogs, and I just don't have the time or patience waiting for confounded snow and ice to melt off the roads. Phooey on winter!

Simpleterrier

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It's cold and crisp the sun just coming up. Just split an arm load of wood in crocks and a hoody.

@Baymule u just drive when there is snow and ice on the roads. I don't see how it changes anything. If we didn't drive with it on the roads most year we'd be shut down for 3 months.that said we ain't had any snow yet this year temps have been between 25 and 40 every other day for 6 weeks. Supposed to get 5 inches tonight. I hope so I want to plow snow with my new tractor.

Got wood burner going we are burning more this year than normal we let it go out over night and radiat floor ht runs start again in morning downstairs stay around 76 with it goin

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Simpleterrier ; @Baymule is right. Without the proper equipment to at least plow snow, and with people that have no idea of how to drive in snow and ice conditions, it is a circus in places like that, that get hit with a 2" storm that often is very icy. I was raised in snow driving in New England... but even here in Va in the western more mountainous area, there are so many that do not know how to drive and they are a total hazard on the roads. And the BIGGEST thing is.... these SUV's are touted to go anywhere, in anything, and add on top of that ... THESE IDIOTS will not SLOW DOWN. Ask @Mini Horses about the problems over on the eastern side of the state that does not often get more than a dusting to a couple of inches...how they drive and how they just have to go out when staying home for a day would be the very smartest thing to do...

My son works for VDOT, and he grew up in New England and learned to drive in snow also.... but the thing that he says is so aggravating is that the stupid people will not stay home long enough to at least let the plow guys get the roads opened up so that then they could drive on them sensibly......Getting somewhere is just not so important that a few hours delay will kill you....because trying to get there when it is just not safe might kill you. I learned that a long time ago....even when I was milking cows in CT and all, my bosses realized that it was better for me to stay home for the one milking and not wind up in a wreck or snowbank.... so I could get there safely for the rest. And cows needing to be milked is more important than a job in a store or something.

Cecilia's-herd

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Just sitting in bed with the twins.

I told Gianna how to hook up the milk machine for the cows and how to properly sanitize so let’s see how well she was listening.

She brought me a coffee but it’s already cold. 😕 Unless it’s supposed to be cold? I can’t tell anymore.

The chickens won’t come out of bed so she had to give them food and water inside LOL!

We had a very early start this morning at 3 am with some blood curdling screams coming from DS. Haven’t slept since. Scared me too bad.

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Morning all laying around currently in bed with two toddlers and an infant. Been homeschooling and packing more. Almost got all the excess out. Still looks like it be a bit before we can move but that's life. Dh is working 7 days a week. His mother wants us to go in to land with them. We tend to be Leary on anything in that area for good reason. Looking at house in town for now and will possible be able to have a budget to lease some land for animals. I am getting all kinds of anxiety not having them, and here I might swing a raised garden so it can travel with us if we move anytime soon. Sooner the better and hopefully we be able to buy some land. First need a place for now and so got to do what needs to be done... personalmy hate the idea of in town but with all the prices near us for land there is no way we get there this year.

Can you farmsit in exchange for meat? It might give you some of the animal benefit and a little bit of change in your pocket.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Messybunw that's something I 'll look into. I enjoy the work and it was kinda my mental relief from kids lol so I will be see if any farms around wouldn't mind. Right now I am stir crazy, dh might have some time to give me a 30 min break from them to get some exercise starting soon we shall see. Going to be baking today and things like that. Might thaw a deer roast and use it for stew sounds yummy.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Simpleterrier ... I get what you are saying. I had a plymouth duster when I got divorced and started milking on a 140 cow dairy 1/2 hour +, from me. Had it the first winter and we got a bunch of snow storms that year in Ct. Had to get a running start about 1/4 mile down the road to get up my driveway, even after it was plowed because it was rough and they couldn't scrape it good... and it was a hill that had a curve... oh what fun times. Hauled hay for the horses and feed and all when they couldn't deliver..... Then I bought an f-150 supercab, 2 wd.... had to keep plenty of stuff in the bed for weight... and drove it for work. I couldn't afford to miss a milking but the boss was a good guy and would tell me to stay home if the weather was bad because he lived right there, and knew I had my 5-6 yr old son to deal with.... babysitters and such.... and then he would "switch" milkings so I wouldn't lose much time.... he was so appreciative to have me when even back then, people didn't want to show up for work milking. 40 years ago... in an area where farms were disappearing for all the development back then.... I seldom used the weather for an excuse either... but there were times that it was better to call boss and not go to work than to risk an accident. We didn't get to use the weather for an excuse to stay home... but the towns and county workers also were equipped to get out and get the roads cleared off enough for people to continue about their normal business. You and I and most others raised in those environs also knew how to drive in it.

I took my driving test in a snow storm... my mom went with me in our old ford full size station wagon... a tank... and they were going to close the DMV early, and we got there about an hour before they were due to close. The guy who was giving the driving tests asked my mom if she was crazy having me take it in the snow... and I will never forget.... she looked right at him and said.... she is going to have to drive in it once she gets her license isn't she? She knows how to drive in it, so what difference does it make... I think he was scared to go out with me. But then once we got out on the road, and he saw I was careful but not overly intimidated, he got a little shi@@y about it, and made me do a 3 pt turn on an unplowed street with more than 3 inches of snow and it coming down... and I did it without spinning or sliding or anything... and then he just said to go back to the DMV and gave me the license.... If he had tried to make me do a parallel park I think I would have asked him if he was crazy.....you couldn't see the curbs with the snow....
Oh the memories....