Cold babies

Missespenaloza

Just born
Reaction score
I’m exhausted so I hope this makes sense. Babies born around 2pm today. First two tried to come out together, and it’s my first time having to assist. It was a little rough, but I assume not awful? It was 20 minutes from first pushes to all three being out. It was a high of 75 degrees but kind of breezy. #2, the smallest, seems to be having trouble keeping her temp up. It went down, we warmed her. She got some colostrum. It went back down again. We warmed her. My question is why would her temp go down except maybe she didn’t get dried off well enough and it’s breezy out? And why would she keep losing heat? Am I missing something? She got approx 2oz of colostrum in the first 8ish hours. Thank you so much.

goats&sheep19

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
If she is a bit premature she may just not be able to keep her temp up.
You may have to keep her in front of a heater, and bottle feed her until she is strong enough to stay warm my herself.
I had to do that recently, and she is a big healthy young goat now.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Agree. Also keep the colostrum milk from her mom coming....2oz isn't much but, ok if only first amount. Keeping moms milk in her is best. Also can you put a sweater on her for a few days and leave her with other two? Or set up a warming box for all 3.

Missespenaloza

Just born
Reaction score
If she is a bit premature she may just not be able to keep her temp up.
You may have to keep her in front of a heater, and bottle feed her until she is strong enough to stay warm my herself.
I had to do that recently, and she is a big healthy young goat now.
Thank you! I was worried I was missing something. They all made it through the night and the smallest one actually got up and nursed on her own this morning. They were born on day 144, but her teeth haven't poked through. Hoping they all make it through this!

Missespenaloza

Just born
Reaction score
Agree. Also keep the colostrum milk from her mom coming....2oz isn't much but, ok if only first amount. Keeping moms milk in her is best. Also can you put a sweater on her for a few days and leave her with other two? Or set up a warming box for all 3.
She’s a 2.5lb Nigerian. How much colostrum do you recommend? I’d heard 15% of their body weight in the first 24 hours. They’re all in a warming box outside with mama. We’re having them nurse as often as we can. Thanks!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds perfect!!! :lol: :lol: I have full sized Saanens and Boer so 2oz is a slurp for mine :lol:. In fact my month old kids are almost the size of a yrlg NDs....ooops. My dairy girls make 2 gal a day. ☺️

I'm glad they're doing well....and congrats on a good repositioning assist. Uhhhh...we love pics.🥰 Hint, hint.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Found this:

How much colostrum should kids consume?​

Skip to How much colostrum should kids consume?
It is recommended that newborn kids ingest 10% of their body weight in colostrum during the first 12 to 24 hours of life for optimum immunity. For bottle-feeding, proceeds as follows:

1) Weigh the newborn kid

2) Convert its weight into ounces. Calculate 10% of total body weight in ounces, divide that number by four feedings, and feed that amount of colostrum over a 24-hour period.

Example for a 5 lb kid

- 5 lb kid x 16 oz/lb = 80 oz

- 80 oz x 10% = 8.0 oz per day

- 8.0 oz into 4 feedings = 2.0 oz per feeding

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Since a cow, ewe, doe will produce colostrum for more than 2 days under normal conditions,,,, the first is the most potent but part of the job of colostrum is also so act as a bit of a laxative so the meconium will pass through the baby's system... they should get as much as you can possibly get in them... minimum is the scale... there is no max in the first 2-3 days....

Latest posts