Conditioning calf for a show.

lcertuche

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I love calves. I've had two steers in the past. They would always try to lick my face like a dog. Yuck! Yours is so gorgeous. She looks so much better than my unkempt rowdy boys, lol. Good work.

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Looking good! How do you prepare your cows for shows? We have considered it, just because a friend has interest in it and was told that the calves are only fed grain. Is that what you do?
I'm curious about this as well. I have horses, and we don't really condition for shows, either they are healthy and shiny or they aren't since we primarily show in the summer when they are in short summer coat.

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have to say that I find it insane what calf fitters do. You guys are insane with your dedication and perfection.

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
For Scottish Highland, all I have been doing is washing and brushing her once or twice a week. I also spray in coat conditioner and dry her.
The other beef breeds do a lot more. Ours are not clipped. I still still have a lot to learn. I am feeding her a little grain in the evening. I'm sort of self taught. There is not a lot out there on grooming highlands.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
That's a LOT of animal to be washing and brushing and moisturizing and conditioning, and blow drying and... wow... I'm supposing that she's a real trooper to put up with all that... and multiple times a week at that! :ep :th But then if you didn't stay on top of it I guess it would be near impossible. She doesn't fight you while you're doing all that? She must be very laid back! I've never been to a calf show or cattle show, just goats and sheep. I hope you'll have some pictures to share when it's all said and done. I hope you and your calf garner some recognition too after all the work you're putting in!

Edit: OK, this just came to me and I'm really being serious when I ask because I've heard rumors... So before the show are you going to "paint her nails and put on lipstick"? I mean I've heard some show people actually paint their animals hooves and touch up their faces as well as fresh "clips and trims" just before the walk...