1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Peachicks - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Confused About Loose Minerals

Discussion in 'Feeding Time - Goats' started by Chebird, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Aug 2, 2019
    Hipshot

Hipshot Loving the herd life

Animals get some if not most of their minerals , from the vegetation they eat. Most people don't do a soil analyses to see what is in the soil . Am I feeding to much are to little mineral :idunnoI just sprinkle lose mineral on their feed .they leave most of it in the feed trough, I also give them a supplement block . I get that from my Farmers Co-op. They eat it like candy. I've always heard a rough coat means the animal is wormy . While Alaskan says it means a mineral deficiency. If your goats look good to the eye and would rather have weeds than grain or minerals' they are my kind of goats .The feeders look like a good ideal. Inside so supplements do not get wet . Just remember to keep all supplements and feed fresh . I wouldn't put out a lot of something they aren't eating.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    Baymule and Chebird like this.
  2. Aug 2, 2019
    babsbag

babsbag Herd Master

I live in CA and we have no summer pasture. We also have selenium deficient soil and the copper isn't absorbed well due to our well water. I have no parasite problems at all, ever. But I constantly battle Selenium, zinc, and copper deficiencies. I have 50 goats, 32 of them in milk, and go through about 50 lbs of minerals a week. I sometimes put the mineral on their hay and they lick it up, I also have the feeders for them. I also give them a cobalt block. Their coats have changed to a nice smooth coat with darker coloring since I started using the minerals from NE.

SaanenMom, Chebird and Hipshot like this.
  3. Aug 2, 2019
    Chebird

Chebird Chillin' with the herd

Oh my, I haven't heard that goats need cobalt. Can someone please explain?

4. Aug 3, 2019
    babsbag

babsbag Herd Master

I can't really say why they need cobalt but most people I know put a cobalt block out for them. If a person mentions that the goat's milk has an off flavor it is often suggested to give them cobalt. I leave a block out for them and they do eat it.

SaanenMom and Chebird like this.