Copper bolus

LMK17

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yeah, sounds like everything I can think of has been ruled out except for copper. I am surprised that he went from totally normal looking at his vet appt to fish tailed and bleached out in just over a week though. :idunno The very didn't notice any signs of copper deficiency, eh? If not, then he's going downhill pretty quickly. I'd consult the vet about the need for a blood test for mineral levels and possibly a faster acting supplement.

Judy-Ron

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I can feel the difference in his coat. It's much softer than it was last week... I also give them free choice loose minerals with copper in it.. I think I'll wait at least three months before I evaluate and see if he needs more.... That way I can consult my vet as well. They are due for a fecal in February so I'll ask him about bolus timing on Rascal.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
I can feel the difference in his coat. It's much softer than it was last week... I also give them free choice loose minerals with copper in it.. I think I'll wait at least three months before I evaluate and see if he needs more.... That way I can consult my vet as well. They are due for a fecal in February so I'll ask him about bolus timing on Rascal.
Is it a good brand of loose minerals? I was told..not sure this is true..but told that the Wind storm and rain from TS sold in cattle section is really good and has basically all their regular needs. Plus...I’m sure you already know this...but just keep a bit out so it doesn’t absorb moisture...and refill often...but, I’m sure you know that...:) oh, why don’t you take a pic of his tail so everyone on here can see and , maybe it’s not as bad as you think? I’ve done that before. :)

Judy-Ron

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We use Purina goat minerals. It has 1350 ppm minimum copper to 1600 ppm maximum. It's what we get from our feed store..

SaanenMom

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
He had a vet check on Dec 30, fecal clean, good weight, ears had dirt in them but no mites or lice found by vet or me.. He did have coccidia present in fecal so I did drench him with Toltrazaquil that afternoon and will repeat in 10 days.

Before dosing Toltrazaquil a 2d time, have the vet do a fecal. Toltrazaquil is a one dose medication and I have found that is all that is needed as a rule.
Laura

Judy-Ron

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Wow, thanks! That stuff is expensive and if I don't need to drench him again that'd be good. Most of my other goat people say to hit them a second time. Our vet's pretty reasonable about doing fecals so I guess that's the way to go..