Corid Dosage Please :)

Tiffany L

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
You are the second person tell me that Baycox didn't work. I use it all of the time and it works great for me. Can I ask what your dosing was on the Baycox?

There is a lot of debate on using Corid because of a potential thiamine deficiency that it can cause in the goat. But many people do use it and my vet told me not to worry on a short term basis, but you might do some research before you decide. Administering Thiamine in addititon to Corid reduces the efficiency of the Corid but many people do that too.

When I don't have Baycox I used Di-Methox which will become a prescription drug in 2017 instead of OTC.

I was using the dosage at 1mL per 5lbs on a 40lb (per scale) goat. After 2 doses, 20 days apart, she is scouring w/ Cocci. Vet suggested Corid along with B12 injections for 3 days and a few days of red cell.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score

Tiffany L

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
@Goat Whisperer

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/DevelopmentApprovalProcess/ucm482106.htm

If it is mixed with water it will be Rx only. The 40% injectable may be available OTC outside of CA, not sure.

@Tiffany L That is the same dosage I use. I had a kid with an active case of cocci appear to be cured and then present scours again 2 weeks later but I have had the preventative work ok. It is so easy to use, hate to hear it isn't working.

I loved the idea of just a 1x preventative treatment VS the 5 days w/ Sulmet or Corid. I was bummed also. I would like to try again, but now nervous.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't blame you at all. A friend of mine works for a vet and she did fecals on her kids and that Baycox didn't touch the cocci. I have never run fecals on the kids, I go by the symptoms and I was surprised when I had a repeat offender last year. Maybe it is time to get that microscope dusted off.

I read a tip the other day...feed the does medicated feed for 20 days prior to freshening so that they won't be shedding cocci in the barnyard when they freshen; that is supposed to help prevent cocci in the kids. However for those of us that milk I have to look up milk withdrawals. I am thinking of putting the kids on medicated creep feed this year.

Tiffany L

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I don't blame you at all. A friend of mine works for a vet and she did fecals on her kids and that Baycox didn't touch the cocci. I have never run fecals on the kids, I go by the symptoms and I was surprised when I had a repeat offender last year. Maybe it is time to get that microscope dusted off.

I read a tip the other day...feed the does medicated feed for 20 days prior to freshening so that they won't be shedding cocci in the barnyard when they freshen; that is supposed to help prevent cocci in the kids. However for those of us that milk I have to look up milk withdrawals. I am thinking of putting the kids on medicated creep feed this year.

I generally also go by symptoms but I had to have vet out bc nothing I was doing seemed to help. Hopefully this will do. I NEED to learn to do fecals I suppose and purchase a microscope.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
What the dosage on Di-Methox? I have been using corid because the one old timey vet said it was fine but it is a pain and i would rather Di-Methox to see if it is more effective. I've dosed with corid 3 times in a row now and im worried its to often to keep working.