Coronavirus Covid-19 Is it Affecting You and How?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
a group of young men behind me verbally abused the petite older cashier woman

Yeah, yeah, yeah, guys, I get it. Your lives are crap right now. But you know what? All of ours are; dumping on someone else doesn't make yours any better, and makes hers a whole lot worse. It's times like these that give us the opportunity to show what we truly are inside, and if that's what you are made of, I feel sorry for you.

I think it was Robin Williams that observed that "humor is pain turned outward." Laughter is probably the best stress reliever. So when I'm in a store and the employees ask the inevitable, "so, did you find everything OK?" I usually laugh, but I'm still trying to come up with a good one-liner to make them laugh, too. We all know about the gaps on the shelves; griping won't change that. This "new normal" is stressful for everybody; hopefully it will change for the better soon, but until it does, we all just have to make the best of it.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
So when I'm in a store and the employees ask the inevitable, "so, did you find everything OK?" I usually laugh, but I'm still trying to come up with a good one-liner to make them laugh, too.
I have 2 that I have used and gotten laughs from...1)..it is knda difficult to find it on an empty shelf....and...2)...naw, I just couldn't find the million dollars Anywhere.... 🤣 ....we always try to give them a reason to smile and make their day just a little brighter....no need to add misery to a crazy situation....and can never fault another for doing their job...they are just trying to make it in "life" and don't make the rules or policies, so best to be understanding and lighten the "mood"....that is the way I see it anyway....:)

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Whether we agree with all these rules or not, we should be polite to each other. There is no reason to be rude to the cashiers and other workers who are just trying to do their jobs. They are under pressure to work and it is not comfortable trying to breath with those masks in place all day.

I find that while you can't see a smile anymore under the masks, just being cheerful and saying something nice will help brighten their day. And yours too,

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I thought about:

Well, I was going to get rice, but all I found back there was 'SPACE . . . the final frontier.'

I came looking for inspiration; I found a lot of optimism. I mean, surely all that area reserved for product that isn't here means that someone believes it will be there . . . someday ("there's a place for Dawn. In aisle 10 a place for Dawn . . . ") Though I'm not sure even my contemporaries would remember West Side Story.

Or maybe ask if the manager has gone Cinderella - "someday the towels will come, some day the towels will come . . ."

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just found this thread today after seeing it mentioned on Miss @farmerjan's journal. I only read the past 40 or so posts. Many have posted wise words, others harsh ones. I cannot add to what has been said, except I think it is appropriate to quote one of my favorite passages from the Bible, Matthew 25:34-45. (Some of you know that I am an atheist, not a Christian, but I think this passage has a lot of wisdom in it. Besides, I think most people on this forum identify themselves as Christian and thus may take heed to this passage).

34 Then the king will say to those at his right hand, ‘Come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; 35 for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.’ 37 Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry and gave you food, or thirsty and gave you something to drink? 38 And when was it that we saw you a stranger and welcomed you, or naked and gave you clothing? 39 And when was it that we saw you sick or in prison and visited you?’ 40 And the king will answer them, ‘Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.’ 41 Then he will say to those at his left hand, ‘You that are accursed, depart from me into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels; 42 for I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not give me clothing, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.’ 44 Then they also will answer, ‘Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not take care of you?’ 45 Then he will answer them, ‘Truly I tell you, just as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.’

I especially like Miss @frustratedearthmother's quote in her signature: "Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle." Thank you, Miss FrustratedEarthMother! It is so true.

Senile Texas Aggie

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had no intention of posting on this thread again. I think I've said my piece. However, since it has been brought up several times I'll try to clarify.

I vowed some years ago that I would never keep quiet when I am subjected to something that I perceive as so very wrong. The statement that I responded to was about (and I paraphrase) 'thinning out people that are useless and on the dole.' To my dying day I will never agree that there are useless people in this world. There are sick people, there are those in need of healing, love, help and understanding. There are NO useless people.

The statement was made: If you have ever had anyone murdered by some useless piece of scum, or had them injured or hurt in ways that there is no way to fix it, REGARDLESS if they are someone's brother, father, uncle or whatever... then yes, they deserve to be dead.

And this is exactly why I will always speak up. I lost my sister because no one spoke up when they saw wrongs being committed. But, the person who committed the wrong doing has rehabilitated themselves through great effort on his part. The hardest thing I've ever done in my life was to forgive that person. It didn't absolve him from responsibility, but it allowed me to be able to move on.

I regret that my response was hurtful to Farmer Jan. I don't think in any way that she is a terrible person. She has a wealth of knowledge that she shares freely with people on the forum.

I'll end this (and any more responses on this thread) by repeating an oft used quote:
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

That is in no way directed toward any person - it is simply the way I choose to live my life.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Friday before Memorial Day. Everything is closed., except for those necessary stores like liquor and marijuana. Not allowed to pray in church, but I can get an abortion since that is considered necessary. Apparently, the only place you can catch Covid is in church since tons of people are willing to stand in line for hours to access the local Walmart!

Luckily, I don’t need a knee replacement any more thanks to 8040. :D =D My kneecap has remained back in place and my knee is bending properly again. I am carefully exercising the knee to encourage muscle strength to keep it there. And only public figures like mayors, senators, and such are allowed to get haircuts and mani-pedis. Luckily, my nail salon owners are tired of staying home. I was allowed to come to the shop. I remained in my car until the all clear was phoned to me. Then I hightailed it in wearing my disguise. Since I don’t own a burka, I had to make do with a head scarf wound around my face like a hajib. I wore my dark glasses. No police in sight although I had my cover story ready. If the police had tried to accost me, I would tell them my name was Ajibi Hamid, a faithful daughter of Allah and demand that they not touch me! My 2 friends (we have become friends and I had really missed seeing them and laughing with them) enjoyed my disguise and had a good laugh.

On the sad end of Covid, DD1 and her family have been attending a local karate dojo for about 12 years. They have a family membership. Many people belong with family memberships, and there are a lot of families. The dojo is very family oriented and they are all friends there. The sensei is a great guy. We have met him many times and he works with the kids and the families in a very wholesome way. He is going out of business due to not being able to open up again. He relies on his summer camp program to make ends meet in his business and he can’t hold it this year. So, good-bye to another small family owned business that was good for the community. Thank you, Governor Newsom. :(

On the other hand, DD1 and her husband have gone entirely off the deep end about this virus. DS2 thought we might go over this weekend and have a BBQ, just the family. Apparently, we are not welcome there. DH called ad asked that the grandchildren to come over to work for us (picking up the trash that seems to accumulate in our field, hay ropes, broken bits of pipe, old nails, bits of paper, etc. This stuff either blows in, is uncovered as the animals and rains wash layers of dirt away, or is brought up by the dogs from the old trash burning area in the gully from 75 years ago. The grandchildren are not allowed to go inside our house, they are not allowed to touch us, nor can we touch them. They have to remain 6’ away from us at all times. DD1 and SIL are positive that their children can get the disease from us because DS2 goes out to work, DS1 goes to the store for us, and we get deliveries. 😷

Our DIL posted the new requirements for school children when school reopens. Apparently, the persons determining these new requirements have never had to care for children, have no children, and possibly have never seen a child. :oops: These ruels are for all grades from preschool through high school.

All children over the age of 2 years must wear masks. (Yeah right! That teacher is going to spend all her/his time reattaching the child's mask. That is, if he/she can find where the child has hidden it!)

No one is to share toys. (Most small children don't want to share their toys, but isn't that what they are supposed to be learning in preschool and kindergarten?)

Each child must remain 6’ apart from any other child or the teacher. (How is that supposed to work I wonder? If the child falls down and gets a boo boo will they don a haz mat suit to staunch the blood and tears?)

The same teacher must remain with the children all day. (No lunch or potty breaks for the teacher I guess. Better learn to hold it - I can see the Worker's Comp cases starting for all the bladder and kidney infections coming now.)

No school lunches, and the cafeteria must remain closed. (Weren't we told that all those free lunches for underprivileged kids were necessary since they might be the only decent meal the children got that day? Were we lied to?!)

No free play in case the children get too close to each other (Recess is a thing of the past? Maybe they will goosestep the children around the playground and call it phys ed!)

Only 10 – 12 desks will be able to be fitted in classrooms to obey the new social distancing rules. (They don’t even have enough teachers now to limit class size to 30 students, let alone a class consisting of 10 students and a teacher that is dancing in place because she can't go to the potty after her morning coffee!)

DIL says she may have to home school her kids. As a former preschool teacher, the reason preschool was touted as being beneficial, and the reason for Head Start programs, was that children need to learn socialization skills early so they can learn how to communicate, share, and interact properly with others. These new school rules will raise a whole generation of antisocial psychopaths, with no idea of social behavior. There is a syndrome in infants called Failure to thrive that has been traced not receiving the human interaction they need to grow. Failure to Thrive results in a child that has no interest in eating, speaking, crawling, or having any communication with others. Children need interaction with other children in their age group as well as other children of other age groups and other adults besides their own parents.

I AM SOOOO TIRED OF THE PHRASE "THIS IS THE NEW NORMAL"! We need to use our common sense, go back to church, and let our grandchildren hug us again!

Status
Not open for further replies.