Coronavirus Covid-19 Is it Affecting You and How?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Does the education system have an agenda? It would be incredibly naive to think it doesn't. But this isn't all about indoctrination; there's an amazing amount of ignorance running around. When you see the sort of things that get posted on the internet every day, the thought that some of these people might be the only source of information that some children have is terrifying. But, as to knowing who's in the room? When my kids were in school, several teachers told me of having projects turned in to them that were clearly above the ability level of any kid that age - some that they suspected were 100% the work of a parent. If parents would do their kids' homework for them, I could definitely see one feeding answers to a child taking a test - or even taking the test for them.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Bunnylady
We do seem to be on a downward trend here in NC. Hope it continues.

It's hard to know exactly what those suddenly lower numbers represent - a post-hurricane glitch of some sort, perhaps? While I would love to believe that we really are heading in the right direction, I can't help but have a "waiting for the other shoe to drop" feeling. There are significantly fewer completed tests being reported, too - so are there fewer tests being taken, or is there a growing backlog of tests waiting to be run? :hide :fl

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, they have an agenda. It appear they'd like to gut public schools, while making homeschool illegal and channeling kids into private and charter schools for profit. We need a new department of education head at least.

In michigan we had a recent incident a few miles from where I lived where a mom claimed to be homeschooling but in reality had put her children's bodies in the deep freezer where they stayed for months as she continued "homeschooling". After that the state required periodic check ins with homeschoolers to see if work was being done as a butt covering measure. It probably wouldn't save many kids lives in screwed up households, but I respect that it wasn't too heavy handed. Their charter and private schools are still a dime a dozen and here today, gone tomorrow, even if it's a school week night kind of affair and should not be the forced option for most kids. And very for profit, slime ball-esque. Inadequate to say the least.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hang on to your hats, folks; President Trump has just tested positive for Coronavirus. No idea whether he even has any symptoms (the articles don't say). But there's a saying, "when the president sneezes, Wall Street catches a cold;" this is just what the country doesn't need right now.

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
News just said the Dow dropped 500 points over night. Not good for people with 401K or investments.

Several school districts in our area have given up on virtual learning, because the kids were not doing well. They are going back to in person, in the classroom teaching.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Was it in Texas that I heard a nine-year-old was suspended for having a firearm on school property because the teacher saw he had a BB gun in his room?

In-person learning is part of the next phase of reducing lockdown restrictions here in NC, and there are some people who are cheering, others who are stressing about it. While the numbers here have been better than they were in July, they aren't that much better, and there is concern about a spike of unprecedented proportions when you get a whole bunch of young'uns in the same space for hours on end, then send them home to their families. The schools are getting tons of PPE's and cleaners/sanitizers as part of the preparations, hopefully that helps.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
And kids are the least likely to come down with and to transmit this virus... that is established fact from many sources....one of the big differences with some of the other "pandemics" in the past.
Am glad that I don't have kids at that age anymore.... or grand children. They are back in school here, some places are alternating in and home school....one went back to totally virtual after a couple of weeks of in and out.... had 3 new cases and everyone had a cow over it.... a few are back in full time. The charter school here is in full time and they are doing well.

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
On the bright side, people have been buying up chickens and livestock like crazy, I wonder if I can get a chicken rush this winter? Who else is waiting until the election is over so that the virus can go away? Maybe too political for byh, but seriously, when your entire running platform is we will fix the virus it seems more like politics than sickness. At least it has pushed back some of the anti-homeschool legislations, for a moment.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
it seems more like politics than sickness.

And the foolishness of that astounds me. If there was ever a situation that should call for a unified response, a global pandemic ought to qualify. Instead, we get politics as usual, where every move gets weighed and delayed lest the other guys might reap some benefit, and a President accuses his own advisors of deliberately undermining him when they won't say the things that he considers to be politically advantageous.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
All you can do is stay stocked up on food and necessities-for us that means animal feed! LOL LOL We have our go to town bag with masks, sanitizer and wipes. It’s going to be a tough winter, in many different ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.