Coyotes - Cannot imagine not having LGD's!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Dogs have been barking a lot since the night time cooler weather has come in.
Coyotes are pretty plentiful so far this year... seeing them all over, neighbors are seeing them, you can hear them, and all the dogs for what seems like far far away are barking! It is busy out there!

We are heavily wooded and sometimes even 10 ft off the edge of the fenceline deer have been taken by coyotes... so I am super glad we have our dogs! Cannot imagine raising goats with out them.
2 of our fields, if you want to call them "fields" are dead set IN the woods.

My son was reviewing the game cam tonight-
WOW! So many coyotes! No, not the same one or two- interesting too because there are a bunch of pics where these two are always together... then singles here and there.

This is the beauty of having the dogs.
There were so many deer! There were coyotes, raccoons, opossum and other critters... showing a healthy population of wild life out there!
I love it!
But don't want the predators eating my lifestock or poultry! ;)
Goats live, chickens live, geese live, and coyotes get to live and do coyote things while my animals are safe all because of great dogs!

There are two here- There are better pics but I thought this one was cool.
Left - isn't it a beauty? The other is heading out of frame so you can only see the tail (right).
These two are always together.

I am wondering if the yotes haven't determined their territories yet... this is a bit unusual.

:love:love:love My dogs

coyotes.png

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
YIKES! Is that pic ON your property or across a fence line?

We seem to be having a problem with them coming closer here than I've ever been aware of. A neighbor told me that he saw one cross the road right at my house a week or so ago... Glad I've got good dogs too! :love

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
This cam is across the back of the neighbors property.
Right behind our back fenceline is the trail for the tractors- behind that we had hotwire for Kiko does- they are all gone now but this was posted back in May by GW- Callie and D then Callie D and Tiggs were back there at the time.
I checked - this was from Oct 2015- First time we got a good pic of a good partially intact deer skeleton.
deer bones.png

We only have a small pasture area out front where we keep the milking does, and babies... all the other goats are in the woods.
We are surrounded by woods.

Oh @frustratedearthmother one day I have to send you the video of the otter down at the creek- it is the cutest thing ever!
Not many otters so it is so cool to see it. Sure hope no coyotes get it.
I think that is why I love having the dogs so much... I LOVE the wildlife here- it is plentiful. I want it to stay that way. I also don't want things eating my farm animals.

We have so many lizards, snakes, frogs, toads, skinks, salamanders... they really make me happy.

Sadly a few toads have been run over recently in our gravel driveway. Always makes us sad here... Toads are so jolly and they hang out, never afraid... GW LOVES toads!
She always says if I meet a Prince and give him a kiss do you think he'll turn into a toad? :lol:
Look how cute! :D:D:D look at those adorable feet! :D
002.JPG 006.JPG

As many coyotes as everyone is seeing I think it will be a tough year.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
We like toads too(!)and lizards, and geckos and all manner of bug eating amphibians and reptilians!

Heard the coyotes last night right across the road...so close!

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We have also had an increase in coyote activity here. It really started when Wesson got sick last fall. But there are a lot more around now then I ever remember before. Unfortunately for our neighbor, our LGDs do not go onto her property. I got the call last Wed that, while her 16 year old daughter was outside, a coyote came into their yard around 11:00am and tried to take one of their 8 week old pups. The bitch attacked and got really chewed up, then the German Shepherd came and rammed the coyote while the daughter threw (and hit it) with rocks. The coyote ran away.

As soon as I got home from school I went over to treat the wounds on the bitch and pup. The pup only had a puncture on top of its head where the coyote had tried carrying it off. Unfortunately, the bitch was behind on her rabbies and obviously, the pup wasn't old enough for it. For the sake of my kids and hers, I told her she had to quarantine them until she could be sure the coyote wasn't infected.

I never had to worry about coyotes on any part of my property until Wesson got sick. Now, with my new LGD pups in their own pastures and Wesson not allowed to run around the whole property, there is a good chance they will be on my property. However, they will not be in my pastures!

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Before Smith and Wesson grew up, we would have coyotes crossing in front of our house or in our backyard whenever they wanted.

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We are having coyote issues too. I'm about to do some calling when it's a little less windy. I also have a resident skunk that is about to meet it's maker.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Coyotes here too! Before we moved in and I was coming up to work on the inside of the house, coyotes came right up to the house at night. Then we moved, and over time, got the place all fenced in. Good fences, GOOD DOGS and no coyotes. We heard coyotes killing a stray dog right outside our front gate one night, it was screaming. There is a 1,000 acre high wire fenced ranch behind us that cuts off a lot of their travels, but they are all over the ranch across the road from us.

Robyn8

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm curious what you all do about your LGD barking and neighbors. We have 10 acres and the neighbors on one side are pretty far off with woods between us but they made a comment that they can hear our 11 month old pyr very well. Actually the exact comment was your rooster isn't nearly as loud as your dog. He sleeps in the house and is only outside when we're home and isn't even allowed to roam more than the acre right around our house. So I'm curious do you guys that leave your dogs out at night have issues with neighbor complaints? Will our boy get better about not barking at all the deer and turkeys he hears? I know barking is part of their job and not complaining about our beloved pup. Just curious.
Thanks!