*CYGChickies' HWC Journal* I Want Goats!

CYGChickies

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Wasps are VERY aggressive. They can sting as many tines as they want without dying too and often will signal others--if near the nest--to join in. If you kill any singular wasps you see very early in the year that are around your home usually that stops her--the queen--from building a hive and starting a colony. The queen is the only wasp who overwinters all others die. So any early wasps in/around your home or barn or other high traffic/used places should be dispatched quickly to avoid future colonization.

Honeybees look different from yellowjackets, sweatbees, bumblebees and borebees. Borebees are the new one for me they're also called woodbees and carpenter bees. They're loud and look a lot like a bumblebee. Honeybees aren't quite as fluffy as a bumblebee or as loud unless warning-buzzing. Except for stingless drones, all honeybees are female and every egg has the potential to become a Queen. Drones do nothing but eat and mate with Queen's so in the Fall the hive kicks them out to preserve food and they starve. More are born in Spring to begin mating again and drones die after mating with the same mechanic as a bee dying after a sting.

Honeybees are also not attracted to open sodas and the "bee" hovering after your soda during a nice picnic is a yellowjacket.

That's my tiny facts wave for today! I hope you found it interesting/helpful! :weee

CYG

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
CYGChickies said:
Wasps are VERY aggressive. They can sting as many tines as they want without dying too and often will signal others--if near the nest--to join in. If you kill any singular wasps you see very early in the year that are around your home usually that stops her--the queen--from building a hive and starting a colony. The queen is the only wasp who overwinters all others die. So any early wasps in/around your home or barn or other high traffic/used places should be dispatched quickly to avoid future colonization.

Honeybees look different from yellowjackets, sweatbees, bumblebees and borebees. Borebees are the new one for me they're also called woodbees and carpenter bees. They're loud and look a lot like a bumblebee. Honeybees aren't quite as fluffy as a bumblebee or as loud unless warning-buzzing. Except for stingless drones, all honeybees are female and every egg has the potential to become a Queen. Drones do nothing but eat and mate with Queen's so in the Fall the hive kicks them out to preserve food and they starve. More are born in Spring to begin mating again and drones die after mating with the same mechanic as a bee dying after a sting.

Honeybees are also not attracted to open sodas and the "bee" hovering after your soda during a nice picnic is a yellowjacket.

That's my tiny facts wave for today! I hope you found it interesting/helpful! :weee

CYG
Definitely! :thumbsup

daisychick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We have wasps in large numbers this year I am hoping they all freeze this winter!!
My neighbor has a new honeybee hive and his bees are always in my yard, since I am the only one who plants tons of flowers and fruit trees. His bees are so calm and have never stung anyone in the neighborhood. It really makes me want to start my own hive. :D Looking forward to reading your journal and learning about bees with you.

CYGChickies

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
elevan said:
4. What would you do with your spare time if you had any resources you needed?

Farm and get back to my writing
What type of writing?
I write short stories and have some larger works as well. I love to write Horror and Drama but my stories are very character driven and I focus on dialogue so the genre isn't completely overpowering. I love Stephen King for this reason; someone who has read his work knows it's about people and usually the epic struggle between "good and evil".

CYG

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
CYGChickies said:
elevan said:

What type of writing?
I write short stories and have some larger works as well. I love to write Horror and Drama but my stories are very character driven and I focus on dialogue so the genre isn't completely overpowering. I love Stephen King for this reason; someone who has read his work knows it's about people and usually the epic struggle between "good and evil".

CYG
Would love to read your horror and drama short stories. I am a BIG Stephen King fan. Read everything he wrote. And my DH loves Dr. Who. What great stories. (DH is not a big reader. That's why he likes the TV program. He's more into blueprints and specs.)

But would love to read something you wrote. :)

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
CYGChickies said:
elevan said:

What type of writing?

CYG
Have you published your stories?

CYGChickies

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Haha alas you have discovered my one weakness! I have a handful of stories polished and ready I just have a hard time letting go. My Professors basically told me to leave these stories alone and publish them so that's what I'm doing, looking for the perfect destination for my work. I've been rejected by Glimmer Train which is easy to do especially if you're a "genre" writer. I want to submit to Playboy and Esquire but I have to publish somewhere else first. So I have to find a piece that I can stand to publish in a small never-read magazine for a $1.00 pay. It's hard to do. FYI, Playboy does not just print smut or adult pieces. Their short stories are the real deal.

CYG

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I wish you the best of luck! I'm a big Stephen King fan, so I would be interested in reading your stories. Do let us know when you're published and where we can find your work! :D

CYGChickies

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Don't worry I'll announce it and probably mail you guys a copy! It will be so crazy for me I won't even know what to think! I hope that I get published soon.

CYG