Damp hay

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here is our feed shed. It is 9'×9'. So it is bigger than yours.

1123161621.jpg

If you look closely, you can see one of the two vents over the door. We have two similar vents on the opposite wall.

1123161622a.jpg

This shows the countertops on the left side of the shed. DH put it at waist height (36"?) & used 2×4's to support it

1123161623-1.jpg

The chickens saw me in the shed & were hoping for a handout of some chicken scratch.

Last edited:

Sean A.

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Do you close it up at all.

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, two doors slide together in the middle.

In Summer, when it is hot and dry, we leave it open, for good airflow. When it rains or is cold, and of course at night, we close it.

sonorabitandspur

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have horses which also do not handle moldy hay. As far as I know we used to feed hay with small amounts of mold to cattle with no problem but that really is not good for them either.
The big thing is that the hay gets to dry out from the indirect dampness from fog. The cover will help when the fog is there and if left open when sun is out will allow moist air to escape. 3 months, of getting damp and drying will probably get some blackspot mildew which I would not feed. Throw it in your compost and keep clean hay. A little waste is easier to pay for than a vet.