Devonviolet Acres

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
cobb.jpg

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
I love some blackberry cobbler and the dumplings are so wonderful.....peach is 2nd, but blackberry is definitely #1 :)
I'm actually thinking of making a blackberry cobbler & put my homemade Vanilla Custard ice cream, on it. :drool One of the many benefits of milking my own goats. :celebrate

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've never had it with goat milk, but homemade ice cream/custard is always Great. From the old style churn to the new frozen bowl makers....it is all Good to me...:drool :)

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've never had it with goat milk, but homemade ice cream/custard is always Great. From the old style churn to the new frozen bowl makers....it is all Good to me...:drool :)
We make ours in an electric ice cream maker. We actually bought it to do a quick chill, of a gallon of goat milk, that I pasteurized each day. After I milk the girls. I usually get about a gallon from both of them. The ice cream maker does a great job of chilling the hot milk quickly, to 40°F.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
I remember at family gatherings every one taking their turn turning the crank on the freezer....then we got an electric one, it is still around here in one of the bldgs....it was new back in the late '60s, and the outside is made of wood. We just have the counter top model that the bowl stays in the freezer and is like a gel pack. It makes good ice cream, but the churn is better....tho, we don't eat that much with just the 2 of us so the smaller portion aids in the control of eating too much, I already have high cholesteral...no need for Temptations.....:)

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was just congratulating @CntryBoy777, on finishing his fencing. I was going to add the following, but rather than hijack his thread, I decided to post it on my own thread.
I wonder if we will ever get our fencing finished. Today, we built a 4×6'h fence, to give access, from the goat runs, to the barnyard. This afternoon, we dug a 2-1/2' hole, for the hinge post. Tomorrow, we will dig the hole for the latch post, put the gate up, and attach the existing benching onto both posts.

Next we will build another gate, for access from the newly fenced side yard (where the chickens & ducks free range), to the barnyard. That gate is going to be 4'h×6'w, and we will have a short 9' piece of fencing to attach to the two posts we will also have to dig.

The rest of the fencing, down the property line & the cross fencin, will have to wait and get done as we have time & energy.

@Baymule, DH wanted me to show you a photo of him using our T-post puller, to pull up the cedar post, that the previous owner put in, to fence the chicken yard. He only had the post 21" in the ground - which left it a bit wobbly. But this gadget, did a great job getting it out of the ground, with ease!

0526171628a.jpg

0526171628c.jpg

sincentive we can't get the fencing in, we wanted a way to easily tie the goats out back, to help keep the weeds down. Last week, I suggested putting T-posts out in the pasture, to tie the goats on. Then DH came up with the brilliant idea to get some of the 2" stainless steel rings, that we saw at the co-op. They were only $0.85 each. We clipped the takedown chain to the ring & dropped it over the T-post. It slid all the way down to the ground, and allowed the girls to browse in a full circle, without getting hung up on anything.

Here is Woody trying out his new tiedown. He actually wasn't too thrilled in the beginning, because he couldn't roam free.
0524171106a.jpg

Here is a closeup of the SS ring around the T-post. It worked out really well, for the girl a & Woody.
0524171105.jpg

Well, tomorrow is going to be another hard work day, so I had better hit the hay.

Last edited:

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am pretty sure it will be homemade ice cream in the electric ice cream maker. I was going to do blackberries IN the ice cream but DH just informed me that he doesn't like the seeds. Well I could "deseed" them with my Squeezo but I won't tell him that...too much work. So I will make vanilla and put the berries on top. But blackberrry cobbler sounds devine and I haven't had any of that in years. I might have to make that to go with the ice cream; seeds and all.

The ice cream maker to chill the milk is genius. My pasteurizer for the dairy does basically that by circulating ice cold (from a freezer, but not frozen) water around the 30 gallon vat while paddles stir the milk, but I never thought about doing it small scale. Smart.

Latest posts