Devonviolet Acres

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Aww.... goatie kissies! I just commented on Latestarter's thread that maybe you could get a canvas painter's tarp and paint it with polyurethane or a waterproof finish. Those plastic tarps are not weather proof, especially after they have been outside awhile.

We got 2 1/2" this morning. Then around 2:00 the sun came out, the sheep came out, the chickens wanted out and WE went out! LOL

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hey!.....:frow.....ya ain't the only ones.....My outside feed bkts are not covered....(future project).....so, each time it rains I have to wipe them out before feeding pellets. Well, each of them in their own way will encourage me to hurry up. When I lean down to dry them....who ever the bkt is.....will watch me closely and in anticipation of the pellets will bite my clothes and tug on them....nip the inside of my thigh with their bottom teeth.....bite on my cap....lick my arms and face...sniff and blow in my ear....and even got a "Wet Willy" from 1 one day. We got an inch of rain in about 45mins, so....I got to wipe out the bkts today.....:gig:)

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is totally off topic. But, I just had to share about an HBO movie, that DH & I just watched. It's adapted from an off-Broadway show.

It's called Every Brilliant Thing. After his mother attempted suicide, a young boy attempted to cure his mother's depression, by creating a list of the best things in the world. It was amazing!

If you don't have HBO, you can learn more about this film, and watch it online at:

http://www.hbo.com/documentaries/every-brilliant-thing/index.html

DH wanted me to add, that this show (which is similar to theater in the round), was very entertaining. The man who leads the show was that seven year old boy, and does it with a nice blend of humor and serious. It was very well done!

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
DH & I went out to pick Elderberries again today ... Well, for the last time this year. There aren't a lot left, that we can reach.

While I was under the canopy, of 9 foot tall elderberry bushes, i saw a green ball hanging from a branch, about 8 feet away.

So, I made my way over to one of them, so I could pick it. It felt slightly velvety & felt like a soft rubber ball.
0818171341a.jpg

Does anyone know what this is?

Before we went, I put on long jeans, a long sleeve shirt, a head band and a straw hat. AND sprayed both of us, heavily with my high powered insect repellant.

After we got home, I felt something crawling on the side of my neck. I felt it & was shocked that it was at least 1/8" with lots of legs. I screamed & brushed it off. It turned out to be a TICK!!! :ep :barnie

DH took it over to the kitchen sink. It got sick and died. :th

Last edited:

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
This was on @Latestarter's Journal. I didn't mean to hijack his Journal. So, I'm moving this discussion to my Journal.
Casein allergy...well you wouldn't want milk from the line my buck is from as that is the point of his whole breeding, higher level of casein. You may find that your reaction to their milk is different at different times of their lactation cycle. Did your test say what kind of casein you are allergic to, cows and goats are different.
No, it just said casein. Actually, I was surprised to see both cow and goat milk, in the moderate sensitivity level, on my ALCAT food sensitivity list. Its been so long since I had the test done (2008), that I forgot cow & goat milk was there.

Since I didn't notice a reaction to our local raw cow's milk, when we were drinking that, I am wondering if the antigens they tested for were based on pasteurized milk and the fact that pasteurizing the milk, destroys the enzymes, which allow the body to digest the casein?

If the milk is not pasteurized, would the blood test show antigens, for sensitivity to the milk? :idunno Does that make sense?

Another question I have is about A1/A2 casein gene for digestability of cows milk protein, with A2 being the desirable gene.

I know that goats don't have the A1 casein gene, which is why their milk is considered more digestible. But, I haven't heard about goats being bred for higher casein levels.

So, now I'm wondering:
1. Is it possible to find goats with lower casein levels, in their milk?
2. @goatgurl, do you know anything about this? Do you know if my 2 girls (or their progeny) were bred for higher casein in their milk???