Devonviolet Acres

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
:clap
Maybe ya got enough good stuff to build a hawg hut? :D =D
That's a really good idea! Now that we have all this wood, the wheels are turning, to figure out the best way to store the wood, when we take the pallets apart, and how we can use the wood. There are endless possibilities!

We already know what our first project will be. We've been wanting to build a couple hay feeders, for the goats. This wood will be perfect for that! :celebrate And of course it would be great for building a Hawg Hut, as well! :clap

Last edited:

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
When we first moved here, Alan who owned the 60 acres next to us, used his tractor to push over three big dead trees, that were victims of the recent 3 year drought.

Then , he left the three mangled piles there. Over the last 3 years, those piles have become an eyesore, with weeds growing amongst the dead trunks & branches.

Many times I have driven past the piles, wishing that Alan would have burned the piles, to get rid of those eyesore.

Last spring, the dairy farmer, who leased the land from Alan, baled the winter rye, but, for the first time, didn't plant the sorghum, like he has in the past. So, the field turned into 60 acres of weeds.

About a month ago, we noticed that Alan's 85 year old father was using an old Fordson tractor & brush hog to mow the weeds. It was painstakingly slow and he finally gave up after doing 1/3 of it in 3 days.

Then last week, we saw a young man using a big newer tractor, to plow the field. We thought the dairy farmer was getting ready to plant winter rye. :clap

But, this morning DH called to me to look out the back window. Someone had set the pile closest to us on fire. :ep
1012170911a_HDR.jpg

As we watched, we noticed that the second pile was burning. Then the third pile. :clap :celebrate Then we saw a farm truck that we think belongs to a different dairy farmer, Mark, who leases the 160 acres across from us, to run his heifers and bulls on. The guy driving the truck was moving up & down the road between the piles - apparently monitoring the fires - which is a good thing. :lol:
1012170911a_HDR.jpg

1012170921.jpg

Now they brought a tractor, with a bucket, and are pushing the piles around, to encourage them to finish burning.
1012171000.jpg

So, since no one bothers to check with us, :lol: We are thinking maybe Mark is now leasing the 60 acres next to us, and is finally getting rid of the dead trees, to make that area useable again, for growing hay, for his cows. :hu

Last edited:

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
We are thinking maybe Mark is now leasing the 60 acres next to us, and is finally getting rid of the dead trees, to make that area
Nope! I texted Mark & asked if he was working the field. He said "No". Thought it might be Alan.

I have a phone number for Alan. But, he doesn't ever answer. I think its his home phone & he isn't home much.

A an leases a lot of their land out. So, I'm thinking maybe Arnie is working the land again, after all.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
The bottom line is the piles and weeds are Gone....irregardless of who it is....:).....haven't ya heard the old sayin'?.....never look a Gift horse in the mouth.....;)

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, it turns out it is Alan's father who is finally getting the dead trees & weeds. Arnie had brought his big tractor & ploughed the field last week.

He came back with the tractor, to start pushing the sunburned wood to the middle of the piles.

When I saw him on the tractor again, I asked DH to walk over & ask what's up. He said he decided the dead trees had dried out enough, that it would burn well. The plan is to now ask Arnie to disc the area before he plants his winter crop.

So, after DH talked to Alan's dat, he went further down the road & was working in another area. Shortly after that I started to notice smoke rising up, in the grass area between the burn pile & the road.
After a while, the smoking grass area got bigger & it didn't appear the guys on tractors were aware that the grass was burning, And moving in our direction. :ep

I was starting to get worried, so I suggested that DH & I fill some 5 gallon buckets with water and take that and some shovels, to put the fire out.

While he was getting the shovels out, I saw our neighbor drive down the road - right by the burning grass.

So, I called him & asked if I was right about the grass burning. He said it was burning & spreading quite rapidly. He was going to drive by without stopping.:th

So, I asked him to talk to one of the tractor drivers. So he did. It turned out they weren't aware the grass was burning. So he took the tractor and dragged the blade, to stop the grass fire. :clap

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
DV, it was hot water cornbread! :lol: As in boiling hot!
Recipe;
Cornmeal
Boiling water
Salt

Put cornmeal in a bowl, as much as you want. Add a dash of salt, then pour boiling water in, stir, add enough to make a paste. Too much and you'll have soupy slop. Make into patties and fry in hot oil.

I have two types of corn that makes good cornmeal, I'll be happy to share with you. What you had yesterday was Hastings Prolific White Dent Corn. I also have Painted Mountain corn.

The look on your DH's face when he bit into that home raised, home smoked bacon was priceless. His eyes closed, he savored that bacon, his face spread into a smile of pure bliss. Now what I wanna know, is how can he say NO to a pig? :lol::lol:

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Put cornmeal in a bowl, as much as you want. Add a dash of salt, then pour boiling water in, stir, add enough to make a paste. Too much and you'll have soupy slop. Make into patties and fry in hot oil.
Heck, I could do that! We have cornmeal, DD1 makes tortillas with it.

@Devonviolet Seems those pyromaniacs should pay a bit more attention to what they are doing ;)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You can add sugar instead of salt for a sweet taste. You can add chopped onion or jalapeno.