Devonviolet Acres

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
The only shellfish that I eat is crab and shrimp...and I can eat my share of either, but clams, mussels, oysters, or scallops don't cross my lips....:).....I get the willeys just thinking about em.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Not big on raw shellfish (or fish - sushi), but love most of em steamed or deep fried, primarily clams. Nothing so sweet as a big ole' clam with belly all breaded up and deep fried with a little tartar sauce :drool:drool:drool Love steamed clams too, drenched with melted butter :drool:drool:drool Love lobster & shrimp, and will eat crab legs (if forced) but will not touch a blue crab or meat from one. I got ptomaine poisoning from blue crab and since then, can't/wont go there. Having spent most of mu life along the east coast from Maine to FL, I got spoiled with fresh seafood. Not so easy to get here where I am in TX. Could drive 6-8 hours south to Galveston or New Orleans I guess...

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
There are several places I can get freshly ground cornmeal..ground right in front of you from the whole kernel and as coarse as ya want it. Or, you can grind your own with a coffee grinder, and I've seen some vids of people that did it with a common kitchen blender.
Lots of people make cornmeal from uncooked popcorn.

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
I love seafood, especially lobster & shrimp. We don't eat it often, though, because of the questionable waters they live in. For sure we don't eat "farm raised" fish! I will only buy fresh or canned fish, if it says it is from northern (cold) waters, like Alaska, Nova Scotia or Norway, as those waters tend to be less contaminated. For sure we never buy fish from Japan, Viet Nam or Taiwan. I could be wrong, :hu But that's the way we do it.

For sure I can't bring myself to eat raw oysters (from anywhere)! They are just too slimy! :eek: :sick

Last edited:

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Average lifespan, coupled with quality of life during that lifespan:
USA: 69.1 yrs (#36 in the world)
Thailand: 66.8 yrs (#59 in the world)
Japan: 74.9 yrs (#1 in the world)
Vietnam: 66.1 yrs. (#65 in the world)
With the exception of Japan, not much difference.

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Average lifespan, coupled with quality of life during that lifespan:
USA: 69.1 yrs (#36 in the world)
Thailand: 66.8 yrs (#59 in the world)
Japan: 74.9 yrs (#1 in the world)
Vietnam: 66.1 yrs. (#65 in the world)
With the exception of Japan, not much difference.
You may be right, Greybeard. :hu However, I wonder if those stats were figured before or after the Fukushima meltdown/leak and subsequent leak into ocean waters. Studies have shown that cesium & Strontium 90 continue to remain high, especially in the seas around Japan. The latent period for carcinogenesis (specifically cancers caused by radiation) is 5-80 years.

So, it seems not enough time has passed to determine if nuclear waste, in fishing grounds, have changed life expectancy. Granted, life expectancy rates are determined by multiple factors - seafood consumed being only one of those.

However, I personally, don't want to take a chance, that the statistics will change in the next generation or two. ;)

Last edited:

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Outside conspiracy theory blogs, is there any verifiable evidence that any imported fish from the pacific fisheries have any ionizing radiation?
Cesium 134 or cesium 137?

The minimum detectable levels are stated to be somewhere around ∼2 Bq kgˉ1 and that's way below background for any of the radionuculides from Fukishima (or anywhere else).

I spent nearly 3 years as a radiation safety officer with a company that cleaned up radioactive sites in Texas, Ok, and La and am pretty familiar with radiation. There are places here in Texas, where the natural radiation background level is far higher than what has been detected in pacific waters or cores. Texas has about 300 million lbs of Uranium reserves according to USGS

Latest posts