Devonviolet Acres

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
How heavy was this ham?? I think here they would run at LEAST $9/lb.

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
We started at this morning with a temp of 71°F and winds of 10-15 mph. During the day a cold front went through and the temp gradually went down. Right now it's 55°F.

When I was out milking, the winds bumped up to about 20 mph, with gusts of 30-35 mph.

I had to keep the milk pail covered, because the wind was blowing dust all over! Everything had a layer of it.

I covered the pail with the towel, that I use to dry the girls with, except for a 1" opening, which I held up close, so I could direct the milk stream. I think it worked pretty well, to keep the bulk of the dust out of the milk

Thank goodness I use a really fine fiber filter for the milk! I'm fairly confident it got the dust that made it into the milk.

This afternoon, we went to a wedding. As I was walking to the truck, I looked (or tried to look) into the side yard, at the birds. This is what I saw . . .
1118171339.jpg

The fence was covered with leaves, that the 30-40 mph winds had picked up & blown agonist it. :ep

Last edited:

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
At $9.00/lb, I don't think they'd be selling many hams... I mean, they're generic, nothing special, mass produced hams... Hell, I hate spending $5 for a pound of bacon and wait for sales to stock up.

I looked at doing that free turkey at the Brookshires here... buy either a cooks brand or Hormel spiral sliced ham and get a free turkey up to like 16 pounds... When I priced the hams, they were I believe $3.99/lb. The turkeys were I believe .69 or .89/lb. The thing is, they had non-spiral sliced shank hams on sale at Super 1 for I believe it was $1.57/lb... but no free turkey. The hams were limit 2 at that price with min order of $25. I bought 2 shank hams and 1 butt ham ($1.69/lb). Plus, the turkeys there (same brand) were .57/lb. Didn't realize they had a 2 bird limit as well. I bought 5. The women at check out worked with me ringing my purchase up in 3 different orders so I could get the turkeys at that price.

Sure was a windy night and day today. I don't have a single leaf on the ground inside the goat pen. They were eating them as fast as they landed. I ought to cut them loose on the rest of the yard. Wind seems to have dropped a bit now but it's much cooler than this time last night. I left the house opened up last night. Not going to be able to tonight.

How's my boy RJ getting along?

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
YOUR boy? Possession is 9/10 of the law @Latestarter ;)
:hide
Sure was nice of the clerk to make the effort to get the 5 turkeys.

Those leaves are set up for easy collection @Devonviolet!

Closing out the "Grandma Wall's eggnog" test meaning DW and I drank the last 2 glasses. REALLY smooth after sitting in the refrigerator for a week. Don't really notice the specific separate rum flavor like when it was "fresh" or like when you add it to the store bought stuff just before you drink it. Could get seriously drunk on this stuff as it is, or was, now.

Got my 13# free range turkey today. There was a guy with goat meat (ground) and goat milk at the farmer's market. I was going to try it but he was out of milk and I'm not going to pay $15/lb for ground anything. Thus no goat in my diet.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Closing out the "Grandma Wall's eggnog" test meaning DW and I drank the last 2 glasses. REALLY smooth after sitting in the refrigerator for a week. Don't really notice the specific separate rum flavor like when it was "fresh" or like when you add it to the store bought stuff just before you drink it. Could get seriously drunk on this stuff as it is, or was, now.

I made a half batch and we drank it up. That stuff is so darn good! Bruce, I am glad that you and your wife are enjoying Mama Wall's Eggnog. She was a real character.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
VERY windy here in Little Rock. My wife said it was worse on I-30 near Malvern earlier tonight. I moved my truck out of the yard to get away from the trees.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Must be a pretty good blow if you're worried about trees coming down... After the sun went down here, things settled right down. Not even a breeze at the moment. 38 degrees but doesn't feel it to me as I just got out of the spa.

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Its 40° here, this morning, and the winds are calm.

I forgot when I posted before. The man, who owns the 160 acres across the road, likes to burn dead trees while they are still standing. He had one, that was about 50 feet tall, in the pasture, that has been dead for several years, and he decided to burn it earlier this week. The next day, we could see that part of the pasture had caught fire & burned.

Yesterday, as I was taking the picture of the leaves plastered to the wire fence, by the wind, I saw the smaller volunteer fire truck turn onto the road.

Then, as we headed out to go to the wedding, we saw the truck out on the far end of the pasture (near the still standing) partially burned tree, spraying down a burning pasture. I'm guessing the tree was still smoldering and the high winds blew some sparks onto the dry grass. We drove by after we got home a couple hours later & it looks like a total of about 5 acres burned.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our windy conditions has passed also....thank goodness....and it dropped from 77° yesterday evening to 36° this morning.....all the animals stayed real close to their houses yesterday and didn't venture out and around much at all....we had a brief period of rain that the ducks got excited about, but they didn't stay in it for long...after it stopped they went back to their yard....the wind was howling.