Devonviolet Acres

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Unless there is liquid falling from the heavens, my goats stay outside... They scratch up a piece of ground and settle down. Guess they're just "outdoors" goats...

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our girls do like their shelters. When they are in the two runs behind the chicken coop, we usually leave the door between them open, and they all seem to prefer the far shelter.

Yesterday, when it was so windy out, DH couldn't see Falina in the goat yard. So he went looking. He found her curled up in the corner of the goat shed (which has a thick wood floor), sleeping soundly. The back of the 3-sided shed blocks the prevailing wind, so it was cozy & warm. She was one happy goat!!! :)

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, today we get to take RJ back to @Latestarter!

Ruby was standing with her rear to RJ (with a fence between them) this morning & she had mucous leaking. He was watching her intently, while I was milking.

When I finished milking & put her in with him, it took him about one minute for him to do the deed the first time. He did it three times, so I'm pretty sure he got her good! :celebrate

When I put her with him 3 days ago, he chased & she ran. :lol: So I put her in the separate run, with little Angelica. This morning she stood still for him, So she was definitely ready!!! :celebrate

I really like being able to put our does with him when I know they are in heat, so I have a good idea of when to expect them to kid. If they go at 150 days, we can expect kids on April 12th and 19th. Of course we all know they will do it in their own time. They don't know how to read a calendar. :p

Just to be sure, I have marked the calendar for 21 days to check if they are in heat, So if need be, we can go back & borrow RJ again. :)

Last edited:

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
whoohooo glad the deed is done and you'll have new babies next year. bye, bye rj. home again, home again, dancing a jig.
we had bad winds yesterday too. went with str#1 to take a couple of her wethers to the sale and then to the feed store. thought we were going to get blown away. it was warmer this morning at 47 with no wind then yesterday at 57 with 30-35 mile an hour winds. every critter on the place was hunkered down yesterday. saw a flock of geese trying to fly and felt kind of sorry for them. they were getting whipped all around.
saw that you had finally tried some of the goat meat, good for you. I know it was kinda hard to take that first bite but i'm glad you liked it.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Babies in April! :weee:weee:weee

Your neighbor is dumber than a box of rocks, to burn a standing dead tree in the wind that we've had! I take that back.....comparing him to a box of rocks is an insult to the rocks!

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
We took RJ home to HIS girls & he got busy running after several of them, doing that chattering/moan sound that he makes. But, they would have none of it! :lol: Poor thing! He had a job to do & they wouldn't cooperate. :barnie Eventually he gave up and went over to eat some alfalfa hay. :) Maybe later. Sweet boy. :hugs He really IS a sweetie. I'm gonna miss him.

Before, when we were there, my feet hurt too much to walk back on his property. Today they weren't hurting. So, we took a walk. The wet weather river that winds through the property is quite impressive.

We've invited him and his daughter over on Thanksgiving. He's not sure if they will come yet. Time will tell.