Devonviolet Acres

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
I commiserate with you @Mini Horses! Our teams are going to be in the mid 20's over night and 30's during the day.

On Tues. morning I'm scheduled to appear for Jury Duty at 9:00, which means I need to leave the house by 8:15. Now comes the bad part. Overnight, we are supposed to have rain mixed with snow and temps in the mid 20's. That means the roads will turn to sheets of ice. :th I am really hoping they reschedule the meeting for choosing the jury! :fl

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Looks like the cutoff line for the frozen stuff early Tuesday morning (7-11am) is now forecast to be between Lufkin and Nack. Subject to change as always.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
In our county when you get the notice for jury duty there is a phone number you call the day before. I've gotten the notice three times in the last 13 years and never had to actually show up. This is so much nicer than going downtown only to find the court doesn't need a jury.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Or worse like when I had to do it in So. Cal. when I was in college. You sat there ALL day waiting for jury pool picks. Often as not you went home having done nothing more than eat lunch, read and play cards. IIRC it was every weekday for 2 weeks.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Two of our grand daughters spent the night and this morning I took them out to break ice with me. They got a big kick out of smacking the horse tank with a shovel.

@Devonviolet, if jury duty is still scheduled, call in that morning and tell them you can't get down your road for the ice and snow. Be sure to tell them how much you want to serve on a jury and please schedule you again. (They will)

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks @Baymule. I was thinking of trying that. Now I will for sure. I've driven on black ice before, and don't want to do it again. Many times, you don't know it's there until it's too late and it's impossible to control your vehicle.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
It has been my experience that courts are some of the first offices that close in any inclement weather....the judges won't get out in it. I have served on several juries and they always consider the conditions the jurors must face to get to court. I would call the contact number they give ya this afternoon and see if they have rescheduled or canceled the proceedings as of that time.....:)

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
DH & I were just watching North Woods Law, and through the windows, on either side of the TV, we both saw one of the Muscovy hens flying straight UP! We looked at each other & I said, "She flew up on the ROOF!" This was a FIRST!

So I just HAD to get some pics!
0118181701e~2.jpg

0118181701~2.jpg

We've talked about clipping their wings. But, they have been flying outside the fence (the grass is greener on the outside ya know!) And onto the top of the feed shed, for a while now.

Whenever they do fly outside the fence, they don't stay long, and in no time they are back in the side yard.

This hen didn't stay on the roof for long. Pretty soon, she very gracefully flew from the roof to the unfenced area between the chicken yard and the barn.

So, does anyone know if clipping one wing, of a Muscovy, who has learned the joy of flying, will really stop her from flying out of the fenced yard?

My concern is that she will fly further and further away, and while the lure of the evening meal draws/keeps her close, I wonder if some day she might not come home.

If clipping their wings will keep them closer to home, at this point, we will definitely do that!

@goatgurl, I know you have had Muscovies longer than we have & you are friends with the breeder. So, do you have any suggestions?