Devonviolet Acres

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
We did Farmer’s Market again yesterday, and had our best day ever . . . in terms of our sales and customers. I was still up until the early Saturday morning hours, finishing up printing out labels, wrapping food and attaching labels. But, we are getting our routine down, as far as getting things baked and ready for sale, and packed Friday evening, so all we have to do is load boxes in the back of the truck at 6:00 Saturday morning.

I had a blast chatting with customers, and have finally figured out how to get people, who were obviously planning to walk on by, to come buy my baked goods. :lol:

I have a vegetable dip bowl with five compartments plus the center, for dip. I cut one of each item up and place them in a compartment. It has a dome lid, so I can put a sticker (telling what it is) over each item, and the samples are covered and protected from flies!

So, back to my story. As people walk on by, I say “Hello! I have free samples. And you don’t even have to buy anything!” :D Well, 9 times out of 10, people laugh, turn and walk over to the table, to see what I have. :fl I then tell them, “Most of it is gluten and dairy free, but it doesn't taste like it! A lot of gluten free is dry and tasteless, and this isn’t like that at all!“ :D Most people say they have tried it and don’t like most gluten free, for that reason. So, I encourage them to taste my samples and 6 out of 10 end up buying something! :celebrate Many times they buy several. :weee

Then, I telll them about my goat milk lotion, natural deodorant (with Witch Hazel, glycerine and antibacterial essential oils, as well as my anti-inflammatory lotion with goat milk lotion and essential oils, that works on sore muscles, joints, fibromyalgia, restless leg and damaged nerve pain, as well as chigger, fire ant and mosquito bites. I have sample bottles of each of those as well. One lady even sprayed the deodorant on her underarms. :lol: I sold a lot of my lotions and sprays, as well! :woot

I even had customers tell me they really liked what they bought before and had come back for more, AND quite a few took my business card, so they could tell others about my products. Many people asked if we would be there next week!!! :celebrate

For a number of reasons, neither one of us can work an 8 hour job, and our social security check isn’t enough, so this is REALLY helping make ends meet until the end of the month!!! WooHoo!!! :weee

I have all kinds of ideas for things I can add to our tables in the future, not to mention fruits and veggies once we get those going. It looks like we are going to have to buy another table, to give me more display space!!! YAAAAYYYY!!! :clap

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I can sure appreciate the SS cks and <$$. LOL. I work now but, as I've said before, plan to stop most of it in 12-18 months. With that, I will increase from the farm income -- similar to what you are doing, farmers markets, fairs, etc.

May be able to help you some. Sending a PM. :D =D

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
It sounds like things are starting to go well at the farmers market. That is really great.
I also am looking at stopping most or all of my milk testing with the issues I have with my ankle and knees; and plan to start my SS this fall when I turn 65 instead of waiting to 66. A couple of "financial advisors" have said to wait as long as possible; but one of the girls at work said her financial advisor told her to take it as soon as she wanted. That it would take at least 7-12 years to "break even" between the lower amount but getting it sooner. She has been putting the whole thing to what mortgage she has left and will get it paid off in a couple more years so said it is WELL WORTH IT. Plus, like she said, no one knows how long they are going to be here, and that she could be dead in 5 years so why not get it now. I am also concerned about the whole solvent condition of it and that I have heard rumblings that by 2030, it will only be able to pay 70 cents on the dollar.... Who knows, but I decided to start it soon. Am going to the SS office for an appt., in a couple weeks, as the whole medicare thing and still having insurance at work. Medicare will probably be better, but our co. puts a decent chunk into our health savings account every month to help offset our big deductible, and I would like to get the rest of that this year.
In fact, I am starting a thread on that so please all SS eligible and "retirees" please feel free to weigh in as I am wanting to hear others opinions before I make my final decisions.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Plus, like she said, no one knows how long they are going to be here, and that she could be dead in 5 years so why not get it now

Same thing my LATE DH said -- he began it first day he could and did not need the $$$. Said he paid and wanted to collect.
Three years later, died of colon cancer.

I have been on SS 10 yrs. Started @62. Medicare began @65 and I've never used it but, it's there. Costs me $115. mo. Could get a "plan" for more coverage. Just seems less than desirable to pay more for more non use.

Will look for your new thread.

Latest posts