Devonviolet Acres

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
So, elderberry picking! Mine are wild, know you have your own plants at home. Couple questions. Do you find the domesticated bushes give you larger berries -- none are huge, I know -- but the wild bushes can be stressed, not pampered. (Maybe -- these look pretty content :rolleyes:) I'm contemplating whether or not to start a grouping and asking for that reason.

Do you just crush your berries when cooking? Then strain and squeeze cloth for more? Ain't much there after seeds:D This is truly labor intensive but, in a handling/prep way. More of an issue if wild -- find, consider access, etc.

The stems are toxic, so I am shuffling thru all these tiny things, to pick out ones with a 1/4" stem, to remove it. I took them off the large pods with a fork. How dedicated are you to removing these occassional tiny ones attached? I have several coffee cups full in freezer, waiting for more before processing. 1 1/4 to 1/1/2 # right now. Figure you are still here after using, so perfect to address stems. :D =D

Do you ever can the syrup, or juice? Of course, if syrup, it would need to be made with sugar or you'd destroy the assets of the honey. If juice, non issue.

Ever made jelly/jam with them? First year I've looked, found/used them -- can you tell? :lol: It will be first year I will try the beauty berry jelly. I am currently seeing HUGE numbers of these patches coming up. Literally gallons of the berries forming right now. Want to do some work with the leaves as use for bug sprays. They have a chemical similar to that in Deet. It will be an experiment. We all need bug spray!! People & animals Primarily for mosquitos, knats & ticks.

Well -- thanks for answers, I know you will get to it when you have time. :)

Geesh, I need to be retired to do all this stuff :th

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I made the syrup with honey last year and jarred it up, but it wasn't hot enough and a lot of it didn't seal. So much for Granny whazzhername's technique. :tongue I think I would just can the juice and add to it after opening and put it in the refrigerator.

I learned last year to wash the berries FIRST to get most of the stuff off. I shish the heads in a wash pan of water several times, changing water between each swish. I do it outside so I can toss the water. Then after picking the berries off those threadlike stems, I wash them again.

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
How dedicated are you to removing these occassional tiny ones attached?
I get off what I can. For sure, I get the big pieces and as many of the little pieces as I can, without being obsessive. I figure, that I'm not going to be eating those little tiny pieces, since I will be filtering out the stems and skins. I have never gotten sick from doing it that way.

Do you ever can the syrup, or juice? Of course, if syrup, it would need to be made with sugar or you'd destroy the assets of the honey. If juice, non issue.
Yes, have canned both the syrup and the juice. When I make it for myself, I put it in wire bail bottles, and store it in the refrigerator. And yes you wouldn't want to can it if you use honey for sweetening, as the enzymes that create the health benefit would be destroyed by the heat.

Ever made jelly/jam with them?
Yes, I have made jelly from the juice and it was very good however again, you can't use the honey as sweetening, because you need to heat the juice, to make it gel.

It will be first year I will try the beauty berry jelly. I am currently seeing HUGE numbers of these patches coming up. Literally gallons of the berries forming right now. Want to do some work with the leaves as use for bug sprays. They have a chemical similar to that in Deet.
We have a LOT of the beauty berry bushes on our property. I have made beautyberry syrup and Beauty Berry jelly I think it's very good. However, I won't be doing that anymore, because I am on a low-carb lifestyle.

I have not tried the beauty Berry leaves as an insect repellent. However I am noticing that the mosquitoes are especially vicious at this time. Tomorrow is going to be busy for us. So, I won't be able to do it tomorrow. But, on Wednesday I will be picking beautyberry leaves and making insect repellent. I sure hope it works! this morning, I was out planting cucumber seeds, and there was a huge black mosquito on my leg. You better believe it didn't survive. And then my leg had a big spot of MY blood on it! ICK! :eek:

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
When horse power was "live", they crushed the leaves on some short branches and put the sections onto the harness to keep bugs away. So, crushing the leaves and attaching would work. Reportedly, when large areas of the bush are found, deer tend to go there and bed to get protection from the bugs. I've got so many I could take a branch, scrunch leaves & hang them in the barn. But, flies are not THAT bad here with chickens free ranging the droppings.

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
just catching up with all devonviolets goin' on's. girl is busy as a one armed paper hanger.
@Mini Horses I work up elderberries too. for the "tonic" I just can the juice in pint jars and when I need it I add the honey, ginger, etc. and I also make jelly with them, probably my favorite is elderberry/apple. to my taste the plain elderberry can be a bit strong so I cut it with apple juice and it taste great. i'm like @Baymule, I swish mine around in a big tub of water with some white vinegar in it to encourage any critters to vacate the premises then I use a big wide gap toothed horse comb and gently comb the berries off the stems. works pretty good. like DV I pick most of the stems out but if I miss a few its not the end of the world. i'm gonna have to try the beautyberry leaves for mosquitoes too. they are so bad this year with all the wet weather we've had.