Devonviolet Acres

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
When I was out with DH, feeding the animals, I had another big black mosquito on my leg. So, I grabbed a basket, and some snips, and went out to the beautyberry bushes for some leaves.

When I got back in the house, I dumped the leaves in the kitchen sink and pulled all the leaves off of the branches, into a sink of soapy water, and then rinsed well.

While the water drained off the leaves, I got online, and found this link:

https://thegrownetwork.com/natural-bug-repellent-beautyberry/

In this article, it says,

"The most active compounds—the ones that make beautyberry such an effective natural bug repellent—are volatile, terpenoid compounds (callicarpenal and intermedeol) that tend to evaporate as the leaves dry out. Some of the compounds remain in the dried leaves, but fresh leaves are much more effective."

So, I chopped up the fresh leaves, put them in a half-gallon jar, and added two cups of everclear. If I had had vodka, I would have used that. I put a lid, with a silicone seal in it, on the jar, and shook it well several times. It now takes up about 2 cups of volume in the jar.

So now, it's sitting on the kitchen counter overnight to pull the volatile compounds out of the leaves.

Tomorrow, I will follow the recipe in the article, adding oil and beeswax, to make and ointment or salve.

BTW, my hands now smell like beauty Berry jelly. :lol:

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
BTW, my hands now smell like beauty Berry jelly. :lol:

There are worse things. :D

I'm now thinking of the testing where the person sticks their arm into a mosquito filled container. :rolleyes: Fire ants? Well, this salve should be popular where they are!

I'm thinking a little less oil in the alc/oil/leaves method, to wipe on the horses. While the mosquitos are not a huge problem for them on the body, one carrying West Nile on their nose can be fatal. Although the oil would keep it on there longer? Toss up.

But, for me, I think the oil would spread better than the salve feel lighter on the skin :idunno We await your results & use comments @Devonviolet,

What is "everclear"?

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wonder if running the vodka and leaves through a blender would release more of the active compounds?
That's the plan. I put the leaves with the alcohol and the oils in the blender, and blended for 3 minutes until it gets warm. Then I strain the leaves out, and place the filter and oil in a pan, add beeswax, heat slowly until the wax is melted. Pour that mixture into a jar and allowed to cool. I will probably add a few essential oils to increase the repellent effect. I will also use a couple tablespoons of Neem oil, as part of the oil quantity.

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
What is "everclear"?
Everclear is a clear 100 proof alcohol. It's actually 95% alcohol. What I've read, is that if you make it any higher alcohol content, it evaporates into the air immediately, so it's a waste of time to go higher with the proof.

I use everclear, because it has the higher alcohol percentage which pulls more of the essential/volatile compounds out of the leaves.

It does cost more than vodka, but it's more effective at pulling the essential oils out of the leaves.

Latest posts