Devonviolet Acres

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
This past week was another super busy, albeit less stressful week.

We started Monday morning, early, raking dog fur & clipping mats, from Deo. Every year, his winter coat turns to multiple mats, rather than slough off, like Violet's does. She had a couple small ones near both ears, but the rest of her just needed a combing with the fur rake.

After about 45 minutes of that, the goat yard looked like it had snowed and both dogs went to lie down, in the corner (to get away from me!)

On our way into the house we picked the few ripe blueberries we had, and a nice tub of ripe blackberries.

Once in the house, I called our hay guy, about picking up round bales on Tues. He said it might rain on Tues, so it would be better to get them right away. So, we grabbed a bite to eat & headed out to hook up the trailer, and got on the road for the hour drive.

The round bales were considerably bigger than last year (about 4-1/2' and 900#). This year they were 5'3" and about 1100#). I could sure feel the difference when driving home. I had to slow down considerably on the curves, as the trailer was really swaying. I don't remember it being that bad last year.

On our way home, we stopped at a big blueberry farm, to pick a gallon of blueberries ($15). We ended up with 7 pounds, costing $2.14/pound. They are REALLY good blueberries. We froze them in 1# bags. The only thing was, it was mid afternoon, and very hot!

I think this week we will go back EARLY in the day & pick 2 gallons. I want to dehydrate them, for snacking and cooking over the Winter. I plan to buy more blueberry bushes, so eventually we won't need to go blueberry picking.

When we got home, we were exhausted, so I just backed the trailer in and we left the hay there. The plan is to put the round bales on pallets, make a hoop hut that we cover with
a tarp & store the hay in the shade of the trees back there.

The next day, we covered the bales, on the trailer, with a 19x10' tarp.

Tuesday, we took some time off in the morning and had to take the dogs to the Vet for their annual rabies shots.

OMG! It was the Battle Royale!!! :thThe only time we take them in the back of the truck is when we go to the Vet. So, as soon they saw the leashes, they started avoiding us. They did let us put the leashe on and did walk with us, at least until we got close to the truck. What a struggle to get them in the truck! :th:th:th

The thing is . . . we always leave them in the truck, and the Vet comes out to the truck. Except for the little needle stick (which they don't even react to), there isn't any pain or scary activities. So, I don't understand why it's so hard to get them in the back of the truck.

The rest of the week was spent getting ready for Farmer's Market, early this morning. I got a number of things made (for Farmer's Market), and also labels made, using Word processing. Not ideal, but for some reason, when I use the Avery label app, it doesn't line up when I print them.

Wednesday, Thursday & Friday I spent baking & making lotions, figuring costs & making labels.

@goatgurl asked me to take a picture of my new banner. So, I took several pics of our booth

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't know If it is my phone or BYH, but this has happened before . . . I was trying to upload the first pics & it locked up. So, I tried to cancel the pic & it posted my unfinished post. :hu

Anyway, I'll post this and try posting my pics in a separate post.

Last edited:

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here goes. Hopefully I can post my pics this time.
0623180852.jpg

0623180800.jpg
0623180754_HDR.jpg

0623180754b.jpg

0623180855.jpg

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks Mike. It’s a work in progress. We are trying to get a garden started, and eventually, I want to also sell herbs and veggies.

Actually, we didn’t do as well as we have in the past. Although, several people asked if we would be there next Saturday. And several starterd to buy something, and for multiple reasons, they left without buying. Hopefully they will be back next Saturday.

The two black, covered dishes have samples in them. I take one of each item and it it up so people can sample the food. I sold quite a bit after they got a taste. You can see it in their face. They start like they aren’t sure. Then, a light comes in their eyes, and they reach for the package. :celebrate

Last edited: