Devonviolet Acres

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Me too. I don't think that breeder can sue anyone who advertises "Tennessee Fainting Goats" or even "Tennessee Meat Goats" since the name predates her breeding program. I remember seeing ads in goat and farm publications for "Tennessee Meat Goats" years ago. Cross breeding the original stocky Myotonic Tennessee FGs with Boers will add some size and more muscle. I think she has to breed them for a number of years/generations and go through some sort of other paperwork process to establish them as a separate breed that would have her own name on them. Otherwise "Tennessee Meat Goats" has been a generic term for about 100 years for myotonic meaty type goats. I think it would be expensive for her to prove her claim to the name, but then it's not my problem! :lol:

I applaud people who experiment with different breeds to obtain the results they need for their own situations, climates, and terrain. I would not want any myotonic goats because of their easy susceptibility to predators! Hard to see how they have survived without human intervention and protection.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think it would be expensive for her to prove her claim to the name, but then it's not my problem!
Except she already HAS been given a Trade Mark!

From their website
"Tennessee Meat Goats™ and TexMasters™ are the cream of the meat goat industry. ... TENNESSEE MEAT GOAT ™ and TEXMASTER™ are Trademarks of Onion Creek Ranch ."

"Someone" already decided she has exclusive rights to the names.

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Except she already HAS been given a Trade Mark!

From their website
"Tennessee Meat Goats™ and TexMasters™ are the cream of the meat goat industry. ... TENNESSEE MEAT GOAT ™ and TEXMASTER™ are Trademarks of Onion Creek Ranch ."

"Someone" already decided she has exclusive rights to the names.
That is the breeder I was referring to. I remembered her first name, but not the name of her farm. She has done a LOT of work upbeeding her herd. However, after chatting with her, on the phone, one time. I would not care to work with her. (Just my opinion).

Last edited:

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Me too. I don't think that breeder can sue anyone who advertises "Tennessee Fainting Goats" or even "Tennessee Meat Goats" since the name predates her breeding program. I remember seeing ads in goat and farm publications for "Tennessee Meat Goats" years ago. Cross breeding the original stocky Myotonic Tennessee FGs with Boers will add some size and more muscle. I think she has to breed them for a number of years/generations and go through some sort of other paperwork process to establish them as a separate breed that would have her own name on them. Otherwise "Tennessee Meat Goats" has been a generic term for about 100 years for myotonic meaty type goats. I think it would be expensive for her to prove her claim to the name, but then it's not my problem! :lol:

I applaud people who experiment with different breeds to obtain the results they need for their own situations, climates, and terrain. I would not want any myotonic goats because of their easy susceptibility to predators! Hard to see how they have survived without human intervention and protection.
I could be wrong, but I do not believe she originated the idea of breeding Myotonics with Boers. She has fine tuned it though. I personally plan to buy a commercial Boer doe (or is that Bordeaux? :lol:) and breed her to my beautiful, chunky, Myotonic (Danny Boy). He already produced two beautiful, chunky kids, with our Myotonic, Melody - who looks a lot like a Bordeaux.:D

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
The trademark names maybe but not the descriptions. Also, you can get around that by describing the animal as "Tennessee Meat Goat type". After all, if this is a new breed she is touting, she might register it with a society. With most new breeds the society will open a "stud book" and other breeders of 'Tennessee Meat Goats" will have the opportunity to become part of that stud book.

However, I don't that these goats will become the industry standard for meat goat (like Angus or Beefmaster cattle) since the Myotonic trait will not make them desirable for a range operation.

"OH NO! Coyotes! :thNot good for a quick get away from predators!

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
The trademark names maybe but not the descriptions. Also, you can get around that by describing the animal as "Tennessee Meat Goat type". After all, if this is a new breed she is touting, she might register it with a society. With most new breeds the society will open a "stud book" and other breeders of 'Tennessee Meat Goats" will have the opportunity to become part of that stud book.

However, I don't that these goats will become the industry standard for meat goat (like Angus or Beefmaster cattle) since the Myotonic trait will not make them desirable for a range operation.

"OH NO! Coyotes! :thNot good for a quick get away from predators!
I’m not worried about repercussions from Onion Creek Farm. I have no intention of making lots of money selling Tennessee Meat Goats or Tex-Master. I don’t know why she didn’t just stick with Tex-Master, as her brand. That would’ve made it so much easier. And, you have a really good point about Myotonics never
being desirable for a range operation. It’s awfully hard for them to make a clean getaway, when they stiffen up and fall over every time they try to run! :lol:

Personally, I just list my goats as Myotonic, and leave it at that. If I breed my Myotonic buck with a Boer doe, I will just call it a Myotonic/Boer Cross. That way I will have nice meaty kids, and she has no room for lawsuits.

Latest posts