Deworming pigs

Lothiriel

Ridin' The Range
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm new here. I've been around over on BackYardChickens for several years though. :)

We are looking for a good dewormer for our 2 pigs -- most of the things we've found are injectable... and none of us (the 3 grown-up girls in the house) have the guts to do an injection. Do any of you have a good oral dewormer? Or, is it true (as I've read around on Google) that you can safely give injectable dewormers orally?

Looking forward to replies... :)

Mo's palominos

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm no pig expert, but we do raise one ever year for the freezer and have a PBP as a pet. I use the Wazine 17 from the local farm store. It says to put it in their water, but mine wouldn't drink it very well that way. So last time I mixed it with some creamy French dressing and they drank it right away. I don't know if it affects the effectiveness of the wazine but it sure does get them to drink it !!

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Mo's palominos said:
I'm no pig expert, but we do raise one ever year for the freezer and have a PBP as a pet. I use the Wazine 17 from the local farm store. It says to put it in their water, but mine wouldn't drink it very well that way. So last time I mixed it with some creamy French dressing and they drank it right away. I don't know if it affects the effectiveness of the wazine but it sure does get them to drink it !!
Putting a water soluble mix into a oil (dressing) may decrease it's effectiveness.

Lothiriel

Ridin' The Range
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Mo's palominos said:
Yeah, we were looking at the Wazine, but our pigs always dump their water, so it probably would get wasted before they got the proper dosage. It does sound good for my chickens though.

elevan said:
http://www.jefferslivestock.com/categor amp;c2c=ln
That's several options for dewormers - both injection and oral.

Giving an injection is easier than giving orally at times...but you can tarnish the ham if you do it wrong. And yes, a lot of dewormers labeled injection can be given orally.
We would probably end up doing it wrong! :rolleyes: Thanks for the link. Is there a certain one you like over others? I like the sounds of this one, because we have a cow as well. It would be great to get one thing for both.

Lothiriel

Ridin' The Range
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
One more thing... How ould you give it orally? Put it in their food? Use like a syringe and squeeze it in? (Gosh.. I think they'd have to be awfully well-behaved pigs to do that... ;))

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Lothiriel said:
One more thing... How ould you give it orally? Put it in their food? Use like a syringe and squeeze it in? (Gosh.. I think they'd have to be awfully well-behaved pigs to do that... ;))
A syringe without the needle and just squirt it to the back of the tongue would be the best way...but maybe not the easiest.

Here's an idea...
take a piece of bread and slather it with honey and apply the medicine to the slathered bread...the honey should disguise the taste and they should eat it...

Oh, and the ivermectin injectible for swine and cattle is good.

Lothiriel

Ridin' The Range
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Thanks! That sounds like a great idea.

Do you know if that stuff can be given to cows orally as well? If so, then we'll probably get it.

bullcreek

Just born
Reaction score
My neighbor had to give her horse some antibiotics orally when it lost an eye -- she injected it into a cupcake and the horse just ate it down. Didn't think about doing that with a pig or cow (duh).

I gave Baby her injection behind her ear (as suggested in the "coughing pig" post) but, oh the squealing! My husband held her down while I gave the injection but then she calmed down when I gave her the shot and acted like it was for her own good (she still loves me.)