Disbudding

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had a bleeder too but fortunately it stopped when I reburned it. It took me a bit to find the right spot to burn and I had to call a friend for emotional back-up. I thought for sure the kid was going to bleed to death before I could stop it.

cteague

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Im sorry i didnt make myself clear. I had been up 18 hrs when i made this post. The bleeder was from one of the bucks. The were cut. And him just standing he puddled 3 to 4 times. The vet had to work on him to stop it. He had a rough day.
I had a couple bleeders a few times. Reburning the blood vessel didn't work so I used a hemostat to pinch it shut, but a few minutes after the stat is removed, they scratch and it starts again. So I made a pressure bandage out of a telfa (non stick bandage)and duct tape for the night. By the next day it has always been better.

Duct tape is my best friend.[/QUO

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
The blood was from the castration, not the disbudding...

cteague

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yes. She said the artery was fine when she took him back in. She was shocked also how bad he was bleeding. 4 times she had to stop it.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Poor guy. I band mine and usually don't do them until at least 8 weeks, sometimes later. Some people don't like the banding and cut them, or have them cut, but I have never had a problem with the banding. It is certainly easy on us and something you can learn to do at home for future. You can learn to cut too if you have a teacher and the stomach for it...I don't have either.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Poor guy. I band mine and usually don't do them until at least 8 weeks, sometimes later. Some people don't like the banding and cut them, or have them cut, but I have never had a problem with the banding. It is certainly easy on us and something you can learn to do at home for future. You can learn to cut too if you have a teacher and the stomach for it...I don't have either.

x2

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
me 3. I band all my boys. have never had a problem with any of them. I know that banding or cutting are personal choices, the banding is easiest for me. they go from ohhh nuts to numb nuts to no nuts easily. I make sure everyone is up to date on their cdt so they have the tetanus protection. disbudding is the most unpleasant part of goat keeping thru the year, hate it but do it for safety's sake. I have full sized goats and use a disbudding box to hold them. I guess you could make a smaller box for nigies too.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm curious as to how your vet cuts them.
I cut my bucklings and never had an issue. :idunno

After it's done they walk off, doesn't seem to bother them much. During the warm months, I might spray a little fly spray on them out of precaution.

For those that get grossed out by cutting- it really isn't that bad. Very fast, no time to get grossed out :)

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I wish I would have seen this thread earlier. I am also in East TN. I just had the misfortune to disbud 3 kids with a 1" iron today. Made me nervous (...very very nervous) but turned out fine. It just looks worse. I have spent the last 2 hours looking at disbudding irons. I was thinking of the Rhinehart X30. I have Nubians and previously was thinking the 3/8". After today I am leaning towards the .55". This will give me some leeway and if I can do it with 1" I think I can manage any kid with the .55". What are your guys' experience? It is time I bought my own iron.