DIY Goat Sheds

Kotori

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I don't know if it was on here, but I saw somebody using an IBC tote for a shelter- cut one side off. I wish someone would do that here- one of our factory has like 50 stacked up outside. they appeared last year, and the numbers are only growing...

Daisygoat

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Kotori said:
I don't know if it was on here, but I saw somebody using an IBC tote for a shelter- cut one side off. I wish someone would do that here- one of our factory has like 50 stacked up outside. they appeared last year, and the numbers are only growing...
Got a picture? I am curious now! :D

Kotori

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I don't have a picture:( sorry. They had cut most of one side off, leaving a lip on the bottom to hold straw in, and sanded the edges smooth. My memory says it was for pigs origionally, but for Large black hogs (300lbs+).

Lupa Duende

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
depending on where you live you may want to build the roof so that it has a definate pitch to it. we get too much snow up here in Canada and the only roofs we do not have to shovel are from the buildings my husband built.

the pallet fencing looks great, did you 'just' nail them together or was there more i missed in the picture?

Daisygoat

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Lupa Duende said:
depending on where you live you may want to build the roof so that it has a definate pitch to it. we get too much snow up here in Canada and the only roofs we do not have to shovel are from the buildings my husband built.

the pallet fencing looks great, did you 'just' nail them together or was there more i missed in the picture?
Oh yeah, we'll definitely need a pitch to it in northern Indiana! :)

Harbisgirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score

Daisygoat

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Harbisgirl said:
I know someone who uses IBC totes for all sorts of things. They use them for hog houses, cut them in half and use them as chick brooders, cut in half and used as water tank underneath their fodder setup. Pretty versatile containers!

pig house - http://quartzridgeranch.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/20-img_2179.jpg

Chick brooder - http://quartzridgeranch.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/img_20130329_230738_413.jpg
Wow those are very practical for sure. Not sure where I could get any tho and I am pretty sure my goats would eat one of those. They are currently consuming an old but large wooden chicken coop ... their ONLY shelter at the moment. Stupid goats.

Hangtown Farms

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I do a simple pole construction. 4 treated landscape timbers. Use 4 x 8 sheets of barn siding on it's side so it's 4' tall. Use galvanized roofing for simplicity and I like the look. 4 pieces.

Works out that I do not have to cut much of anyting

I face the open end to the South, and the closed end to the North. Anytime we have cold weather, wind blows from the North.

With all new materials it costs about $150. I can building in a day with minimal help from my wife.
8192_building_compressed_2.jpg

8192_building_compressed_4.jpg

8192_building_compressed_5.jpg

8192_building_compressed_3.jpg
great idea