DIY Hay Baler!

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not sure if this is in the right section, sorry if it isn't!

I found some really neat mechanical and hand balers. Thought I'd share!

This one costs 8 grand! But those rolls are just too cute!
baler-3.jpg

There is a metal square hand baler, it's around $400 delivered.
http://www.barnesweldingshop.com/Balers.php

Lastly, you can make your own! We are going to see if we can't make this! Except a bit larger! I really don't want to buy hay when I have 3.5 acres I can easily let grow, cut and then bale up! I'll end up with a wicked tan by fall, but oh well!
http://essmextension.tamu.edu/pinestraw/baling.html

Anyone else make their own hay bales or thinking about it?

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
We were considering making that hand baler in your last link...but then got more sheep and we don't have enough land to provide enough hay, so we buy local hay. That wooden one does not look that hard to make yourself.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
those are pretty cool. Glad we have the equipment of course we are lacking the land but so far always find somthing to bale. :) oh and for some crazy reason DH LOVES to bale hay it's actually his dream job?? oh well works for me!

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, we are a bit lazy with the making of things, so I'm going to try using a big laundry bin we have to stuff the hay into and then use a wood board to smoosh it down. Probably won't be too great, nothing to really press it down the right way and the 'hay' is from a mulching blade. Terrible, not sure how 3-5in long strands will stand up to being smooshed and then moved about...might be a huge failure!
But, we will see. I'll try it tomorrow and post back, pics, too. Got to buy regular blades and see if it helps any. If not, I'll look into buying an Australian scythe and try that out!

farmgirl01

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Ours was cut with a modified brush hog. The point is, that you try with what you have. :)
We cut in the morning and I raked it in rows late that evening. The next day at high noon, I turned and fluffed the rows and we started to bail around 5. We got 16 bales with 1/4 acre.
Let us know how it turns out.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, I really packed them in there. Got 3 bales from the section we raked up last night. Had to flip and fluff as I stuffed the dry grass. Bales are frail, not much holding them together, if they were net wrapped, I wouldn't have to be so delicate with moving them. Crazy contrast with my old, 2yr hay. That stuff looks like straw now, sheep and horses are still eating it, though. Might try soaking it to use the rest that I have or use it for something else all together. I'll go back out and get a picture when I cool off in the house some. I'll weigh a bale, too.

farmgirl01

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I've read some where that folks were stuffing the hay in old feed sacks. I have lots of those laying around.