DIY Rabbit Cages

Rabbitsbysara

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Klubertanz in Wisconsin. I got my wire there can't remember I think it was 14. I haven't used it yet, got it quite awhile ago. The shipping wasn't as bad as I thought it was only like 22.00. But I am in Illinois. It was extremely expensive though like 160.00 I think. It is like 200lbs, hence why I haven't used it yet. I had the bright idea I was going to do wire hanging cages outside, but in our winters I just don't see how it will work. Right now I just have multiple ragged hutches that I put new floors in with cheap wire and then put good legs and support on them and cover with plywood and styrofoam for winter. Then my friend works at some factory and he gets me rolls of this great waterproof insulation. It hasn't even been that cold yet! I would like to avoid frozen water everyday. I envy people with a barn or shed they can use. I am in the suburbs, and have no such place.

Niele da Kine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We can get some rabbit wire at Ace Hardware along with Tractor Supply, Lowe's & Home DePot, but we don't have heavy rabbits so the less expensive wire will work.

We build floor plates with wood cross members at about every foot and a half so the lighter wire won't sag. They have ledges and nest boxes to sit on if they don't want to sit on the wire.

The floor plates are also modular so when they rot out a new floor plate can be installed without changing the rest of the hutch.
bigdoor2.jpg

Some of them are set up for a dropped nesting area, others of them are entirely flat

bigfloor1.jpg

This one is for a dropped nest area. That means if a baby gets out of the nest, it can roll around and fall back in. A nesting box is set over the nest hole and there's slots along the bottom edge for babies to fall back in.

bigfloor3.jpg

Also, I have some big ceramic tiles which will fit over the hole so if I need the floorplate as a flat floorplate, it can be used with the ceramic tile covering the hole.

bighutchbaby1.jpg

This is an older baby, they can still sneak under the edges until they're a few weeks old. We haven't had any babies out chilled on the wire since starting with the dropped nesting areas. The bottom of the nests are slightly sloped, so the babies all end up in a pile, that helps keep them warm, too. No chilled babies in the corner of a nest box.

bighutchbuild1.jpg

The roof, sides and back remain in place, the floor plates and doors are all modular and can be easily removed and replaced if necessary. Makes for easy hutch cleaning when they can come apart.

There's also movable walls, so it can be one big space, three smaller spaces or two spaces, depending on the current needs of the herd.

kukuihutch.jpg

Those are angoras, so they're mostly fluff and not nearly as big as they look.

Due to somewhat limited space, the big hutches were built as two story hutches. Since then, I've found that a single layer is a lot easier to maintain since the roof of the lower area collects manure and needs to be cleaned off.

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We can get some rabbit wire at Ace Hardware along with Tractor Supply, Lowe's & Home DePot, but we don't have heavy rabbits so the less expensive wire will work.

We build floor plates with wood cross members at about every foot and a half so the lighter wire won't sag. They have ledges and nest boxes to sit on if they don't want to sit on the wire.

The floor plates are also modular so when they rot out a new floor plate can be installed without changing the rest of the hutch.
bigdoor2.jpg

Some of them are set up for a dropped nesting area, others of them are entirely flat

bigfloor1.jpg

This one is for a dropped nest area. That means if a baby gets out of the nest, it can roll around and fall back in. A nesting box is set over the nest hole and there's slots along the bottom edge for babies to fall back in.

bigfloor3.jpg

Also, I have some big ceramic tiles which will fit over the hole so if I need the floorplate as a flat floorplate, it can be used with the ceramic tile covering the hole.

bighutchbaby1.jpg

This is an older baby, they can still sneak under the edges until they're a few weeks old. We haven't had any babies out chilled on the wire since starting with the dropped nesting areas. The bottom of the nests are slightly sloped, so the babies all end up in a pile, that helps keep them warm, too. No chilled babies in the corner of a nest box.

bighutchbuild1.jpg

The roof, sides and back remain in place, the floor plates and doors are all modular and can be easily removed and replaced if necessary. Makes for easy hutch cleaning when they can come apart.

There's also movable walls, so it can be one big space, three smaller spaces or two spaces, depending on the current needs of the herd.

kukuihutch.jpg

Those are angoras, so they're mostly fluff and not nearly as big as they look.

Due to somewhat limited space, the big hutches were built as two story hutches. Since then, I've found that a single layer is a lot easier to maintain since the roof of the lower area collects manure and needs to be cleaned off.
That is nice:thumbsup

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Klubertanz in Wisconsin. I got my wire there can't remember I think it was 14. I haven't used it yet, got it quite awhile ago. The shipping wasn't as bad as I thought it was only like 22.00. But I am in Illinois. It was extremely expensive though like 160.00 I think. It is like 200lbs, hence why I haven't used it yet. I had the bright idea I was going to do wire hanging cages outside, but in our winters I just don't see how it will work. Right now I just have multiple ragged hutches that I put new floors in with cheap wire and then put good legs and support on them and cover with plywood and styrofoam for winter. Then my friend works at some factory and he gets me rolls of this great waterproof insulation. It hasn't even been that cold yet! I would like to avoid frozen water everyday. I envy people with a barn or shed they can use. I am in the suburbs, and have no such place.
I think I paid around 190$ with shipping to MD. I believe it was a 50' roll. Heavy is right. Once I set it down that's where it stayed. I peeled of and cut what I needed. I'm right there with you. I wish I could afford a shed with electric. No more frozen bottles, fans for the summer, screened for mosquitos. Lights so I can do stuff after dark. Right now it's a weather beat harbor freight carport and rough built hutches.
I wish I could find the bill for the wire. My wife blinked when I told her the price. I won't get away with it a second time.

Rabbitsbysara

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Those cages are nice. The nest boxes are angled? That is different. Now it's winter I have my does inside to kindle. The lowes has the cheap wire but it is 20.00 for 10 ft I believe. I am using it but it is not good quality wire. I would build a big hutch if I had someone to help me. Still looking. I also have a hard time finding pans to go under cages. I put that wire in the house, and am afraid to unroll it. Can't get it outside by myself. I had this bright idea in the spring watching youtube. I seen a man building these wire cages. They were nice. But winter is a different animal here anyway. And it hasn't even been as cold as usual. Cold enough anyway.
20210120_211201.jpg
20210120_211307.jpg

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Klubertanz in Wisconsin carries EVERYTHING for caged critters. The wire isn't cheap and they are old fashioned. You have to call to make orders or use mail, least last time I checked. They have every size in many options.
Oh my gosh thank you!!! We had somebody who ordered wire for us a few years ago with his own. Since then I could NOT remember the name of the company for the life of me!

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Those cages are nice. The nest boxes are angled? That is different. Now it's winter I have my does inside to kindle. The lowes has the cheap wire but it is 20.00 for 10 ft I believe. I am using it but it is not good quality wire. I would build a big hutch if I had someone to help me. Still looking. I also have a hard time finding pans to go under cages. I put that wire in the house, and am afraid to unroll it. Can't get it outside by myself. I had this bright idea in the spring watching youtube. I seen a man building these wire cages. They were nice. But winter is a different animal here anyway. And it hasn't even been as cold as usual. Cold enough anyway. View attachment 80635View attachment 80636
You have a champagne. I bought one buck 4 years ago. I went back and the lady had sold every last one. He's a character. I like that silver coat.
The wire is a bit of a beast too handle and tough for old hands to cut. When you unroll it wants to come loose. Be careful wear gloves. To stop it from unraveling I fed a long zip tie thru the weave after my first cut. You can get them walmart, harbor freight, ace hardware. Buy the longest you can find. There cheap and very very handy too have around. Use as cage Door hinges, tie stuff together, hold up in weather well etc. Get a cheap dremel tool and cutting wheels will save your hands and remove burrs. WEAR SAFETY GLASSES. Walmart, lowes, harbor freight very handy tool. Buy extra cutting wheels. Cutting tools are great but they go dull and leave sharp burrs. Did I say wear safety glasses,cutters go dull and leave sharp burrs. Ok also check the wire any wire for sharp points in the weave. I think its from the weld process. You bought a dremel tool get a small grinding stone and grind them smooth. Save your bunnies feet and your hands.
Under trays you can improvise. They generally do it in the same spot? Cheap totes, or dish basins set underneath. My job shut down, I bought all the plastic trays they would sell for starting seeds. They're 1/8 thick and used some of them.
I know exactly what you mean about the weather. I spent a winter at Great Lakes training center. I never been so cold in my life. Midwest winter no thanks. It's 50 outside here, shirtsleeve weather.

Rabbitsbysara

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
What it's 50 in Maryland? Thought you had a cold winter too. Actually was pretty nice today sunny and 40s. I opened up my outdoor hutches so my buns could get sun and fresh air. People around here aren't interested in champagnes, and they are hard to find. Waiting to get a buck from Michigan about 2 hours each way. I like mine. The doe is super sweet and a good mother. They aren't a big as the new Zealands and don't grow as fast. The buck I used before is only half champagne. My doe is about to kindle from the Californian buck. Idk what they are going to look like. Sell a few for pets, everyone else can go to freezer camp. I was going to cut the wire with a cut off disc for an angle grinder. People I know aren't into rabbits or gardening, so it's hard to get anyone to help me with muscle. Im a lady. Not weak, but not able to tackle a big building project without a hand. Great lakes Navel base is up north, it gets cold up there. Lake effect is real. Last winter was pretty mild, this year so far. I want to move somewhere warmer with nice land.

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
What it's 50 in Maryland? Thought you had a cold winter too. Actually was pretty nice today sunny and 40s. I opened up my outdoor hutches so my buns could get sun and fresh air. People around here aren't interested in champagnes, and they are hard to find. Waiting to get a buck from Michigan about 2 hours each way. I like mine. The doe is super sweet and a good mother. They aren't a big as the new Zealands and don't grow as fast. The buck I used before is only half champagne. My doe is about to kindle from the Californian buck. Idk what they are going to look like. Sell a few for pets, everyone else can go to freezer camp. I was going to cut the wire with a cut off disc for an angle grinder. People I know aren't into rabbits or gardening, so it's hard to get anyone to help me with muscle. Im a lady. Not weak, but not able to tackle a big building project without a hand. Great lakes Navel base is up north, it gets cold up there. Lake effect is real. Last winter was pretty mild, this year so far. I want to move somewhere warmer with nice land.
Angle grinder that will do it.
Champagnes are ok in my book.
I bought the one and 3 flemish. I should have gotten the champagnes. Finally found 2 people close enough. The one wants your life story and picture of your setup ,indoor only not happening. The other not so pretty maybe mixed. I like rabbits alot but I got them for the garden and to keep me occupied. My wife took him to the vet being new to tame rabbits I thought no way his sac should be that huge. Impressively huge. Without asking she clipped him. I wanted to ....fill in the rage with your own thoughts. She told my wife they were fine but there's two many rabbits as it is. At the time the breed was on the conservancy list. 4 yrs later I had to let it go but I tell people about her. I was used to what cottontail rabbit has so I was afraid he had cancer or something.
I'm close to the coast so it gets cold but not like it used to. West part of the state gets more snow. Never like great lakes or Milwaukee. Coldest places I ever been. Winter of 81/82 not much snow that year. One weekend it was 81 below with the wind chill. I called home and it was 30 below here with wind chill.
If you want to move Eastern shore of Md or southern Delaware are good. Summer is hot,humid mosquitos are rough. Soils sandy but grows good. Delaware's trailer friendly no sales tax.

Rabbitsbysara

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I want a house. No trailer for me, I been watching an exterminator show and they say roaches eat the trailers glue. Some people are against meat rabbits. Rabbits are livestock. I haven't butchered any yet. I got the first of these rabbits in the spring. And show how it just snowballed from there. Now I'm waiting for two does to kindle and then a different started pulling fur. Turns out my daughter put her with a buck just to see what would happen. Now I have 3 does in the house, and 3 babies from the last litter. I wanted to wait for that doe to lose a little weight before I bred her again. She is huge. I didn't know this doe was pregnant, we have been handling her. We let her out to get some exercise, and pick her up to put her away. Hope she is okay. I have sold several rabbits on Craigslist for pets and one full grown doe, bred to someone who was wanting to start meat rabbits. My does had hard time kindling in the summer. I have always had a pet rabbit or two, but wanted more manure for my garden and want to try meat rabbits. I like rabbit meat it is very good. Plus with this pandemic craziness going on I want to be able to have a food source just in case. I could always move my rabbits in the basement, if I needed to secure them. Now I have my whole garden mulched in about 10 inches of manure/straw/wood chips. I will probably turn it under by hand soon.