Do herbal wormers actually work?

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think using the term 'herbal wormer' is too broad. Just like chemical wormers, you have different types that work different ways. They aren't all created equal. That is why its key to know what you are using and how it works. If you are buying from someone who is making and selling 'herbal wormer' they need to be able to explain how and why is works, and have a general estimation on what the parasite reduction should be. IMO

Epona142

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I found them ineffective, after running fecals before and after. Granted, our location is often wet and hot, a virtual paradise for parasites, and we very rarely freeze in winter. These herbal dewormers may be more effective in other climates, but for us, they were not suitable for parasite treatments.

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Green Acres Farm I am not sure what you mean by that?

http://www.usesfordiatomaceousearth.com/animal-production/

Documented benefits of using food grade diatomaceous earth as a feed supplement for livestock and farm animals include the following:

• Increased general health and appearance
  • Internal parasite control
  • Accelerated growth/development
  • Improved weight gain and feed conversion
  • Fly control
  • Increased production
  • No withholding period
  • Odour control
I am talking food grade diatomaceous earth, they have to ingest it

Epona142

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Diatamacious Earth is effective on external parasites, but not internal.

I absolutely agree with this statement, and did the before/after fecals to test it. Not only on goats, but also ponies, dogs, and cats. There was absolutely little to no effect on parasite egg numbers using it internally.

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Many dairies use it in their feed as a preventative. It is not going to cure something that is already there but the idea is that mixing it with their feed will discourage things sticking around. It's like anything herbal, holistic, natural, etc., some people will see results and others will say they saw nothing. But, its not cheap and if dairies are using it, that run on tight margins, there must be some sort of benefits they are seeing from it. In my opinion.

Epona142

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Being the stock manager at a dairy that produces commercial products, it's true, we certainly all have our own ways of doing things and I think every one of us has little regimens like that that other farms might thumb their noses at.

Like I tell everyone, what works for one farm may not work for another, but it doesn't make it wrong. :)

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
First, DE is not an herb so does it even count as an "herbal" anything? It is however "organic" (used with no additives) as it's nothing more than powdered stone.

The subject (DE) has become almost as "deadly" to a discussion as religion, politics, or gun control... but for the record, and IMHO, based on what I can find/determine... I think, if you really dig, the DE (food grade ONLY) is used in the feed primarily as an anti-caking agent (absorbs moisture/abrasiveness keeps the feed from sticking?) & not to reduce/eliminate/control parasites in the intended consumer of the feed. Secondarily it is used to control the insect population/load in the feed and the associated contamination of the feed by the waste produced by same. It is used for these purposes to NOT pollute/contaminate the feed (intended for internal consumption) as typical pesticides would (harming the intended consumers). By doing these things, it may provide some of the benefits stated on your link, (which just as an aside, is a website created by the producer of the product they are promoting). Could it be that the prevention of insect/waste contamination of the feed and NOT using commercial pesticides to achieve this, may have led to those benefits rather than direct ingestion of the DE?

MANY sites are quick to document that the FDA has determined that (food grade) DE is "safe" when ingested and/or used properly, or that it has been deemed "non-harmful" if ingested or handled/used appropriately. But, that is NOT the same as stating that it is effective and suggested for use against internal parasites. (Many of these same sites also recommend/strongly suggest the use of a breathing mask while in the presence of DE powder to prevent inhalation)

There is loads of documentation on the uses of DE in a DRY environment to control insects with exoskeletons, their larva and eggs; fleas, flys, bed bugs, roaches, ants, even scorpions and the like because of how it works. (many pest applications using DE as the primary descant ALSO add pyrethrins <from pyrethum flowers natural, or synthetic> to the DE to act as a quick kill mechanism - read labels carefully) When discussed for use against internal parasites however, there are arguments in both courts, and very little actual scientific documentation to prove either as definitive. I have found links to tests proving how effective it was against worms in animals and other tests proving it was useless. There are lots of non-scientific (observations) reports about improvements in all sorts of animals (including humans) when fed DE.

However, since the primary method of it's success is the ability to dry out the intended victim (desiccation), it's use in a wet environment (internal/gut) would eliminate it's primary method of operation. The use of DE for insects is repeatedly stated as inadequate/useless in wet environments. It doesn't work when wet.

http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/degen.html http://cals.arizona.edu/urbanipm/pest_press/2006/september.pdf http://equusmagazine.com/article/diatomaceous-earth-dewormer-15880

I think that if you want to use it and believe that it works in your situation, by all means do so, just back it up with fecal evaluations of effectiveness. Document before and after to show it is actually decreasing/eliminating existing parasite loads rather than just helping prevent those loads in the first place. Because if you don't have a worm load to decrease, it may or may not be the DE that's keeping the parasite bloom from occurring in the first place. So many other factors are involved. As a preventative, how can you honestly/categorically state it's the DE that's preventing the/any increase? :hu I guess you could do multiple tests over time with/without DE and see if there's any document-able evidence either way... But then who wants to intentionally give their animals/allow them to develop a heavy worm load?

Last edited: