Do you let others ride your horse(s)??

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
And the most amazing part? Folks get OFFENDED when dog or horse ignores them!!
You've got that right! I find it difficult to explain why I don't let people handle my horse without them getting offended. Heck, my brother got so offended when I told him I would not board a horse for him, if he ran out and bought one for no other reason than because his sister now owns a farm (70 miles away from him), that he was livid, irate, and went on a rant to our mother. He even refused to see me over the holidays that year! I don't run a boarding stable. I don't want the hassle and the liability. I tried to explain this, and he was infuriated.

I'm sure that my sister is offended that I told her 'no' she can't ride my horse. I haven't heard from her since... Oh well.

For some reason the unknowing equate small rider person with horse anyone can ride.
I've found that the unknowing also think that a well-trained horse is a horse that anyone can ride. They don't seem to understand the concept that a horse can actually be "too broke for a beginner" that a beginner would ruin a well trained horse. They also don't understand the concept of the horse and rider being on the right level for one another, and being the correct match. They have no concept of that partnership between horse and rider either.

absoluteapps

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am very protective of my horses, and no one handles them but me. The farrier and vet, but that isn't the same. I have a mare that no one can get to move, but I can ride her all day through anything. I guess she is a one person horse. But no I do not let anyone ride them. I tell them they are too much animal for them. If the horse has extensive training, oh no they wouldn't get on them. One thing I did notice about horse people over the years is that everyone does everything different, different training ideas, different handling methods, feeding, remedies, it is very open to interpretation.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
dianneS said:
I've found that the unknowing also think that a well-trained horse is a horse that anyone can ride. They don't seem to understand the concept that a horse can actually be "too broke for a beginner" that a beginner would ruin a well trained horse. They also don't understand the concept of the horse and rider being on the right level for one another, and being the correct match. They have no concept of that partnership between horse and rider either.
That is because they don't consider themselves to be a beginner.....they read the entire Black Stallion series as a kid after all, watched John Wayne movies, and went on a hack-for-hire trail ride once. They are experts in their own minds.

Some people will take offense simply because they feel they deserve to have whatever they ask for. If you have "more" then you must share with them. Isn't that a political system that the same people will loudly criticize? :rolleyes:

For these people it doesn't matter what you say, how you word it, or your tone of voice. They are like spoiled children in adult bodies. Ignore their tantrums and move on. Sounds like the holidays were probably more peaceful this year for you! Hurtful, yes, but someone else's bad behavior is not a reflection on you. My rule in life is to just be polite....mostly. Sometimes firmness is absolutely necessary in order to be heard by some pushy people.

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
dianneS said:
I have been asked many times by people, usually inexperienced individuals, if they can ride my horse. A lot of people just assume that they will be granted the privilege of riding her because after all, that's what she's for right? She's just a recreational vehicle for all of my friends to take out for a spin??

This assumption drives me crazy. My mare is a one-person type of horse and no matter how I try to explain this to people they don't get it!! I had a grand-prix level rider ask to ride my mare and I turned HER down!

My sister just assumes she can come visit and ride my horse. I don't want her to and I have already told her 'No'. My sister has no formal riding lessons and hasn't even been on a horse in 30+ years. She has neighbors right next door to her that would allow her to ride their horses, why doesn't she go over there? I don't know?

My mare responds to dressage cues, and she is very, very sensitive and light. She has to be ridden from my seat and she moves off my leg beautifully. I don't want some heavy handed person ruining that! But I can't explain it to people who don't get it???

What are your feelings on letting others ride your horse? If you don't allow others to ride your horse, how do you explain to them why?
The short answer is "NO"

The longer one is I don't want another messing up all my hard work or doing something stupid with an animal they don't understand or know how to "work with". And I stress the "work with" part for any well trained horse and experienced rider.

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That is because they don't consider themselves to be a beginner.....they read the entire Black Stallion series as a kid after all, watched John Wayne movies, and went on a hack-for-hire trail ride once. They are experts in their own minds.

Some people will take offense simply because they feel they deserve to have whatever they ask for. If you have "more" then you must share with them.

For these people it doesn't matter what you say, how you word it, or your tone of voice. They are like spoiled children in adult bodies.
You've got that right! Just like a spoiled child, my sister in her usual fashion did take offense to my simply saying 'no' to her request. She says I "blew her off" and now she knows "where she stands" with me. I simply explained that I had a busy week, the only time to ride is 6 am before the heat and the flies come out and that my horse has been through a lot over the years and its taken a long time to get her to where she is today. She's in regular training with me and my trainer says I shouldn't let anyone else ride her at this time. What's so offensive about that???

Oh well, if my sister chooses to react that way, I have no control over it. If her reaction is to take offense, that's her choice. I'm not apologizing simply for saying 'no'.

(This is turning out to be more of a family issue for me than a horse dilemma! I'm seriously considering going out of town this holiday season!)

rwbwfarm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have had many people ask to ride my horses over the years also & it has always been a resounding NO. Besides the fact that most are the typical "it's a horse & I want to ride it", it's a liability insurance-wise. They say it doesn't matter but I refuse to lose our farm because someone says they won't sue if something happened - not that I think it would but still. They just don't get it. When I boarded my mare that I lost almost 2 yrs ago, the barn owner decided to ride her without my permission. Not hard to tell when I ride bareback & the idiot didn't even brush her off after leaving a saddle sweat stain on her. DID NOT go over well & she was out the there really quick. The mentality of alot of people these days is ridiculous - they seem to think it's an entitlement. I also get sick of people saying we should have farm tours - WHY? It's a working small diversified farm but not a petting zoo. Sheesh. Takes all kinds I guess:/ Jenn in NY

More of a BYC person

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm currently working with a group of yard ornament horses and I am VERY thankfull my great aunt let me ride. The horses hadn't been groomed in years. Their manes where a mess and their tails where so matted, I didn't know where to start. A few days ago A little girl came up asking to pet the horses. "shure" So I got ol' Trusty out, got him groomed and put a saddle on him. He hasn't been worked with in a while, due to a very old hock injury. My rule, If your over 100 lbs, you can't ride Trusty. I just lead him around on the halter and let her sit up in the saddle. As light as she is I didn't even bother to over tighten the girth. It was wonderfull work for him, building up his leg again gently. And most people would freak out on Bart or Whisky, and the mares I'm almost afraid to ride :lol: So No, I don't let people ride my horses, unless I'm there, with a halter on the horse, leading them. I never NEVER hand the reins to anyone else.

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So No, I don't let people ride my horses, unless I'm there, with a halter on the horse, leading them. I never NEVER hand the reins to anyone else.
I would do that too. I wouldn't mind giving someone a lead line pony ride on my horse, but handing the reins over, no way. Letting them go off on a trail alone, no way.

I know that most adults who ask to ride my horse have a trail ride in mind or a nice gallop across the field. That is totally out of the question. My mare is blind in one eye and needs me to watch for obstacles, holes in the ground, rocks, tree roots etc on her blind side. I would never let anyone just take her out for a gallop. Anyway, she'd probably buck when they asked for it!

petmom

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am new here, but I totally agree with not allowing anyone ride my horse. 35 years ago I had a horse that had been professionally trained. Bomb proof! My ex decided to ride him one day. He wasn't gone long but he brought the horse back heaving at the sides and totally lathered. I was so angry I could bite nails in half. Never again. Later after our divorce, I did buy a second horse that had been used as a lesson horse. I did allow friends to ride him but only when I went with them. I now have a thoroughbred from the race track. It took me a long time to retrain him to ride the way I want him to. I wouldn't even think about letting someone else ride him.