Doe bred ONCE, but kindles TWICE in 6 weeks (...then does it again!)

Andrei

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Well, I do not know about rabbits but my queens keep the sperm alive for up to 5 yrs and they use from it all this time.
Bee Queen.

shanzu farms

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Bred Golding (the miracle bunny) on the 1st December; didn't look like a successful attempt, BUT... month later: 8 kits. Then, whilst weaning, she fought the babies off at 4 weeks and popped out another 8 babies. Just like last time. That's 16 kits in two separate births, a month apart, having been bred ONCE.

Come on?! Is this NORMAL / or at least NOT TERRIBLY UNUSUAL in anyone else experience? Keep in mind, the original post in this thread was reference to her FIRST breeding attempt in June. This is only her second time being bred, and she has kindled 4 times. I'm basically trying to discern if I have a freak of nature on my hands here...

My reading on rabbit hermaphrodites indicate that normally the kits are deformed. All our bunnies come out superb, so i am ruling out the hermaphrodite possibility.

HeatherL

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I would try putting a lock on the door to guarantee that you are the only one breeding this rabbit. I have never experienced anything like this situation and we raised hundreds of rabbits over the years. I find it very interesting and would encourage you to let her rest between breedings and see if this is just something this particular doe does. She's pretty unique.

jhough42

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Is there any chance a wild rabbit is poking around the cage? I have heard of some does that are just so eager to be bred they will do anything to facilitate a through-the-wire breeding. Could you put up pics of the cages?

I also agree with HeatherL. Is there any chance a neighbor, family member, anyone might be letting them "play" because they feel sorry that they are caged alone? What about installing a 24-hour video to review what's going on? This is an absolute quandary to me! It has got to be the most bizarre thing I've ever heard of! there is so little research done on rabbits, we really know very little about their reproductive systems, but to "store" sperm for weeks? how bizarre!!! I would absolutely love to have a vet thoroughly examine her, and also do a complete autopsy when she dies. This boggles my mind.

shanzu farms

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
THANKS for your comments!

Look, i understand your skepticism! Please go back and see my earlier part of the story. I explain clearly my cages and methods. Will try to get the pics up online. But know this: I live in a walled compound in Nairobi, Kenya. No wild rabbits, no one messes with these bunnies but me! For sure. The bunnies all come out like a NZ / CF cross. (See my profile pic from the first litter. The male is NZ and the female in question is 'mostly' CF.) I have three 100% separated breeding stock (1 male 2 female). There are 3 feet of air and two blankets between the Male and the Female in question (Ms Golding). The females are separated by a piece of plywood. I have too few breeders to get confused and I keep records.

And yes! We gave her a HUGE break between the first (two miracle) litters and this most recent breeding. She is so sweet too. A very good mother. The newest miracle wee ones are now a few days old, and are being fed very well.

I look forward to any more comments or thoughts. But please know: a secret breeding or accidental breeding simply is not what is happening here, though it is the most 'logical' explanation.

shanzu farms

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
less than a week old.jpg
Breeding stock, male on left.jpg
I built my cages.jpg
Golding\'s 3rd litter.jpg
tractor.jpg
Male - mr fugles.jpg
Breeding stock cages.jpg
overworked freak of nature.jpg
Monster female from Goldings first litter, to breed later.jpg
tractor for fattening bunnies.jpg

Last edited:

shanzu farms

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Above are the images. The overworked freak of nature is the one whose showing us her behind in the cage with the nestbox. The NZ is the Male. He stays in the cage to the far left. The large NZ/CF cross outside in a separate pen is a monster female from the first litter...i am saving her to breed. She's almost 6 months now. So, then I will have a male and three females. Currently one of the females is on the chopping block, never produced. (Golding is making up for her failure!) The outdoor tractor which i built is where i put the mother and babies at about 2-3 weeks. At 4 weeks she started fighting them and thats when we removed her back to her cage and she made a nest and popped out miracle litter.

cwrabs

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Above are the images. The overworked freak of nature is the one whose showing us her behind in the cage with the nestbox. The NZ is the Male. He stays in the cage to the far left. The large NZ/CF cross outside in a separate pen is a monster female from the first litter...i am saving her to breed. She's almost 6 months now. So, then I will have a male and three females. Currently one of the females is on the chopping block, never produced. (Golding is making up for her failure!) The outdoor tractor which i built is where i put the mother and babies at about 2-3 weeks. At 4 weeks she started fighting them and thats when we removed her back to her cage and she made a nest and popped out miracle litter.
In my personal opinion, why does it matter "why" all of this is going on. She's a great mother. When she fought off her last kits, you knew she was going to have more. You are learning how she does things and what's "right " for her. She's an odd one, that's for sure! Until you hear from someone "in the know" about what is really going on with her, I would just keep doing what you're doing. Have those babies for meat, breed her when needed, and watch and learn whatever you can about her. Good luck, enjoy and have fun!

shanzu farms

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks for your comments cwrabs...ultimately, you're right, it doesn't 'matter' really. Its just a major curiosity... and indeed seems very strange as no one has fed back with any info with similar experience. Will keep the story going in a few months when we breed her again. Also going to breed one of her monster sized daughters from the very first litter. Let's see how she does...

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've never experienced that, but I do wonder...I mean, she's never had more than 8 correct? So it's possible that only one ovary is producing at a time with the other side holding the fertile eggs to produce later or something to that effect? If she had more than 8 my theory is shot though :hide
Seriously interesting, regardless!

Latest posts