Dog growls over bone.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think with most dogs that works. But not all. I have a chow mix who I have and will never hit. It would break him. Other dogs his breed will become aggressive if you hit them. I'm just saying breed matters. Also, if he has been abused that matters. He needs to learn that you are top dog. But this can be learned with conditioning and positive and negative reinforcement in many cases. He growls, bone goes away. He doesn't, you give a quick pat and you leave him alone. Him being alone with his bone is reinforcing for him, so that's his reward for good behavior.

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You did not say what type of training your dog currently has, If any. Also breed of dog and if dog is motivated with food or play. Every dog is different.
Does the dog growl over food bowl or any other toys or treats or just the bone?

Most of my dogs are motivated by their favorite treat. However my old chi is motivated by nothing. Haha

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
However my old chi is motivated by nothing. Haha
I have been trying to train a dog like that. She likes raw meat but has a stubborn nought in her head and she can doe is sit. She does know lay down come stay and beg except she won't do them.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
He will not stop growling at you unless you have a strong relationship with him.

My pit when we fist got him he was abused any raise of a hand even if you going to swat him he would lay on his back of fear. I was super frustrated because he would not lisson to me at all (why not)? I fed twice a day played with him brushed him ect but I was not a friend he could or would trust. I had to win him. Once I had his trust we started and I was a friend he could trust we started mager training.

I no punishment even the furthest we go is a no if needed but even that we try not to say unless necessary. When he was a pup his owners would just take his bone away when ever so he always had the idea when I would take it he would never get it back. I would give to him with me still holding on to it. If he tried to take it from me without me telling him to he loses it for about 2 minutes and then try again once he wouldn't take it without me telling me to. Would set on the ground then tell him leave-it until I have him permission to have it. Once he had that down then I would start with hand giving him ALL his food. He got to the stage where he could trust me but not everyone else. That is when I started to let my younger siblings train him.

Today he is now one of my best friends and very happy with everyone. We almost rehomed him several times but always ended up keeping him and working thru his trials.

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
What type of dog? I have a beyond stubborn dog. He is our first and LAST of this cross lol. He knows basic commands. Trying to teach him to NOT eat stuff, that doesn't happen. (I swear he gets tired of my couches, once a year eats them). He doesn't touch the chairs, computer tables, entertainment center, etc) JUST the couches. Is the Pit the stubborn one or another dog?

My old Chi I rescued from the shelter when she was 9 years old. They told me she was running the streets of Fresno when they found her. She is super sweet, but will run and run and run. Then when you are finally near her she rolls over on her back. We have no idea what she went through. She is the queen here. She has had NO training since we got her. (Not for a lack of trying.) She just doesn't care and does her own thing. Oh well, she can live her life out.

Once you get through that wall though, you have a friend for life! Even with any issues (got my issue dogs). They're worth every ounce of time.

Reactions: TAH

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
My dog growls over a bone when i put my hand on him gently. Even though he's wagging his tail i don't like it. Any advice on how to train him?
Any suggestions?
Any welcome!!!

Thanks

Curious- Why do you put your hand on him when you give him a bone?
What is the purpose? The tail wagging is a warning.

DaisythePig

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I want to be able to get as close a i want to him if i give it to him. He is a total different dog when he's not eating food or a bone.

DaisythePig

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
What type of dog? I have a beyond stubborn dog. He is our first and LAST of this cross lol. He knows basic commands. Trying to teach him to NOT eat stuff, that doesn't happen. (I swear he gets tired of my couches, once a year eats them). He doesn't touch the chairs, computer tables, entertainment center, etc) JUST the couches. Is the Pit the stubborn one or another dog?

My old Chi I rescued from the shelter when she was 9 years old. They told me she was running the streets of Fresno when they found her. She is super sweet, but will run and run and run. Then when you are finally near her she rolls over on her back. We have no idea what she went through. She is the queen here. She has had NO training since we got her. (Not for a lack of trying.) She just doesn't care and does her own thing. Oh well, she can live her life out.

Once you get through that wall though, you have a friend for life! Even with any issues (got my issue dogs). They're worth every ounce of time.
I have two year old lab.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think with most dogs that works. But not all. I have a chow mix who I have and will never hit. It would break him. Other dogs his breed will become aggressive if you hit them. I'm just saying breed matters. Also, if he has been abused that matters. He needs to learn that you are top dog. But this can be learned with conditioning and positive and negative reinforcement in many cases. He growls, bone goes away. He doesn't, you give a quick pat and you leave him alone. Him being alone with his bone is reinforcing for him, so that's his reward for good behavior.

I have owned 4 different Chow mixes and not found that statement to be true. :idunno

The first thing our dogs learn is that the food is ours..any food. The food in the dog food bag, the food in the dish, the food by their leg, the food in their mouth. We can quite literally open their mouth and take the dog food out of it..because it is ours. Teaching our dogs respect for humans and that there is absolutely no aggression allowed to humans for any reason is very important because we own Doberman's and people have a natural fear of them almost as bad as pits it seems. Our Dob's can be stepped on, tripped over, laid on, sat on, tugged on, poked....etc and they will do nothing most of the time they wont even bother to move. And no we dont try to step on them etc it just happens sometimes lol.

We train them food is ours mostly by acting like a dog. We make them sit and wait while we put food in the dish. We then get down on the floor on all fours with the bowl between our hands on the floor and watch the dog. That is a very very clear message of claiming ownership in dog language. Anything between their front feet/under their head is "theirs" that is the space most food aggressive dogs will attack you until then it is generally a show of warnings. Depending on the dog this can be a quick bite that doesn't break the skin all the way up to fingers being mangled. Don't be fooled no matter how loving your dog is normally...a food aggressive can and often will injure you if you try to stick your hand in that space while they are "owning' food. If your going to attempt to train him by taking the bone i would suggest gloves just in case.

We always always start training out food aggression by using their everyday food. We own the food by "claiming" it, then we own the food by sitting next to it, then we own it by having our hand in the dish while they eat, then we own it by having our hand in the bowl and our fingers on their muzzle while they eat....generally by the time we get to the last stage it re-enforcement more then needed but the last one is opening their mouth after they take a bite of food and taking the food out..pretending to inspect their mouth and keeping the food for a minute or two and then giving it back. Mostly it enforces the fact we own the food but also shows them that even if we take the food it doesn't mean they wont get food back.

Anyhow thats how we train our dogs, i know everyone does things differently but this works for us and our dogs.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't disagree with anything you said. My husband has owned several chow mixes and I speak from our experiences. We also teach them that we "own" their food. I simply will not raise a hand to him. My other dog needs a swat on occasion.

From day one we had our hands in the dog food while they ate, picked up their food while they were eating, etc. Our chow mix is food aggressive with other dogs but not us. He knows we are in charge because he respects us. But I will never hit him to prove this point.