Doing Fecal Testing at Home

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Please use this thread to share your experiences, what your solution is and other must have knowledge when doing your own fecal testing at home.

This is the most referred to site (that I've found) that includes pictures of different worm eggs, along with instructions and a solution recipe: http://www.fiascofarm.com/goats/fecals.htm#floatation

Egg_Newton

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I just bought a microscope off ebay. I will let you know how it goes.

VKat

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm just getting into this. Looked at my first try with floats and slides today.
Found this helpful too.
http://www.uaex.edu/publications/PDF/FSA-9608.pdf

Anyone have a good resource for identifying eggs?
Like how to tell is this a barber pole worm egg, or maybe a brown stomach worm egg?
slide2.jpg Sorry! I know my slide has crazy bubbles! There's an egg at the end of the point though.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cannot really tell from the pic but that is probably a cocci egg.
What magnification setting are you on. That egg is too small to be a barberpole egg.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Also I prefer 4 gram/26gram.
The results are more accurate.

Also crushing it in the strainer allows for more "junk" on your slide.
Crush the pellets beforehand and add measured grams to solution, mix, strain and your sample will be cleaner and easier to read.

VKat

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Cannot really tell from the pic but that is probably a cocci egg.
What magnification setting are you on. That egg is too small to be a barberpole egg.

100X magnification there (((edit I think I may have been mistaken and this one may not be that setting)))

I see charts online reference the size of eggs- how does one measure that under the scope?
Is that another thing the lines help with on the Mcmaster slides? Now that I've messed around with this, I do really want to get a proper FEC slide.

BTW I used the link you sent me in combination with that article. They had the solution recipe for sugar :) I will try to keep it cleaner next time. The strainer I used was not very fine. Ugh. Thank you so much for all of you help.

Last edited:

VKat

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Okay I have a McMaster slide (yay!) and went ahead and gave it a try. Thank you for your advice, I tried that and do think I got it a lot cleaner.
These images are 100x
I'm still having trouble with the ID. Anyone want to take a guess as to what these are?
I do not think they look like coccidia on the charts.
Also if anyone has any links to sites that have good images/info on how to properly ID, that would be wonderful!
fec1.jpg
fec2.jpg

Thanks!