Don’t know what to do at this point.

The goat life

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am kinda of lost what to do currently. I have 3 goats that are pets. One of them, Whiskey; 27 months old had what I believe is a respiratory issue. Yesterday i thought it was maybe a rumen issue. However he has developed a wheeze overnight and has a hard time walking or standing for to long. He wasn’t eating but drinking water. he than stopped drinking water until an about an Hour ago and is drinking small amounts. He has had a hard time getting up but is laying down a lot so maybe thought he was just stiff. He did get up on his own and drank a pretty good amount of water from his dish a little bit ago. I gave him penicillin last night as that is when he was kinda started breathing with a wheezing and still as of today. he lays in my lap and I noticed when he switches position, his rear stomach, rumen, flank area spasms a little bit. His rumen is pretty slow; what gas he belches smells way worse than his normal. He just got up and assumed the peeing position; however no go. He did go and take a couple swigs of water again though. When he assumed the position I cleared the penis area to see if there was any crystal build up and nothing. Usually its even a little wet and it wasn’t. Thinking maybe just nothing to pee. His pee last night and early this morning was a good consistent stream. Poop had been normal up till this afternoon, and it’s light brown; cat turd consistency.

my area area is VERY limited on vets let alone livestock ones. Plus Xmas really throws a wrench in it. We have left messages within a 2 hour radius so we will see; I just hope it is not too late. We are not doing well as these are house trained pets and also stay in there barn. His brothers are beside themselves.

temperature is 102.9

Thank you very any advice

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
My first thought, with hard to breathe and hard to get up, is pneumonia. While penicillin will help, it is not the best med for that -- IF IT IS pneumonia -- and that one dose is not enough. Less pee, less drinking can cause. When they're sick, stool changes.

I can say, goats are generally a couple days sick before they show this much. Also, they tend to go down quickly. Not eating, his stomach gases will be rank. Some probiotics and electrolytes are needed, if he'll drink that. Otherwise syringe it into his mouth. He needs more meds. What do you have on hand? Have you given more penn, or anything? Is a vet possible tomorrow?

🫂

The goat life

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My first thought, with hard to breathe and hard to get up, is pneumonia. While penicillin will help, it is not the best med for that -- IF IT IS pneumonia -- and that one dose is not enough. Less pee, less drinking can cause. When they're sick, stool changes.

I can say, goats are generally a couple days sick before they show this much. Also, they tend to go down quickly. Not eating, his stomach gases will be rank. Some probiotics and electrolytes are needed, if he'll drink that. Otherwise syringe it into his mouth. He needs more meds. What do you have on hand? Have you given more penn, or anything? Is a vet possible tomorrow?

🫂
i Started a dose of penicillin last night and then one this morning (all I had on hand) will be doing another shortly. I checked the cameras yesterday and he ate at noon; then about two starting laying around; and at six last night went to the spot on his bed where I found him at 7:15pm. He was lethagric but pooped and peed normal. He came in the house and ate his portion of a banana just fine; but little to no hay. He moped around a lot to the point where I picked him up and he laid with me in my chair. I noticed his rumen wasn’t functioning much at all so I gave him some baking soda but he wasn't interested. The other two boys were fine so I gave him some probioic. Then waited a bit and gave charcoal.

I went out with them to the barn and slept with them. He wouldn’t jump up on anything just laid on the floor with me. He peed again, looked good no funking smell. His poop was pellets but they stuck together. Hit it with my finger and they fell apart.

this morning we came in the house and he couldn’t do the stairs. Picked him up and he pretty much has been like my description in my origianl post. He has been drinking water out of a measuring cup( easier since he is drinking from a lying position) I did mix some water with molloasis just to get him a little sugar. After the water he will stand on his own for a short time, than back down he goes.

stuff On hand is the charcoal,MOM, penicillin, dewormer, and then human stuff.

im putting plastic down in the living room toniget so they can sleep in here. Keep him warm and try keeping fluids going in.

vet is first thing in the morning; i hope

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds like you're doing all you can. Vet for sure because they can give stronger meds, once confirming problem. Please update how it goes. We care plus, learn by this sharing. 🙏 For the best!

Inside to ight would sure be warmer & easier on all, especially you. 🥰

The goat life

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Sounds like you're doing all you can. Vet for sure because they can give stronger meds, once confirming problem. Please update how it goes. We care plus, learn by this sharing. 🙏 For the best!

Inside to ight would sure be warmer & easier on all, especially you. 🥰
Thank you! and definitely will share what I find Out.

he did get up and pee; so hopefully we are starting to head a good direction. Hasn't went since, but at least he won’t have a super full bladder.

thank you again and talk soon!

The goat life

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Sorry for the delayed thread on the outcome of our situation. It was quite the blow to our heard and family. Whiskey the G.O.A.T. passed On December 28th. It’s a long read however interesting and just proves, life is short and how awesome and strong willed goats are.

After calls to every vet within a 100 mile radius of our farm, We had a vet call us Christmas night and we went over his symptoms. (I was getting him to drink water from a laying position and that would give him enough strength to stand for a short time then lay back down.) The vet and i discussed options and since he was drinking water; getting up; and urinating we decided to bring him in the morning. The vet that called was not his/our normal vet. They did say to take him to his normal vet and for some reason if they can’t see him; call let us know and we will be ready.

We went to the normal vet (about 20min away) and they said the livestock vet is on vacation. I asked if anybody else could see him and she said “hold on one sec.” She walked away and came back and said the other vet doesn’t want to him (Whiskey). I drove back to the other vet and let them know we were on our way.

They greeted us at the door and the evaluation started. Whiskey actually walked from the truck to the exam room which was a good sign. They did labs and an evaluation and stated that he had a respiratory infection and some kidney issues. They stated that we can come get him that afternoon (day after Xmas) about 4:30. They called at 4 and stated he was not doing as well as they would like to see. They wanted to keep him over night, give him fluids and do labs again in the morning. We went and visited him and he was still very lethargic.

The next morning we got a phone call and there was not much improvement. The Dr. was getting frustrated as he was having a hard time pin pointing what was going on. His electrolytes were also off. The Dr transferred whiskeys care to the other dr in the office to see what she could come up with. She reviewed his file and then made a call to the Oregon State University Veterinary. They stated they would have no issue with seeing whiskey and actually would really like to see him. Dr Erin called us back and stated OSU would like to see him first thing in the morning.

The Vet had whiskey ready for the road trip (3 hours; well normal driving is 3 hours; not when you have a sick baby on board:) we got him up there and they greeted us at the door. They already had his records from the last two days from the vet and they were going to do their own lab’s also. They came out and said that he did have some dead intestine and his kidneys were in pretty rough shape; now just trying to figure out why. They did have to tube him because the area of dead intestine was causing a blockage and to do a CT scan they wanted it as clear as possible. They did warn us that he was in a lot of distress at this point and placing a tube could be just enough to put him into cardiac arrest. He did well with the placing of the tube and they were getting a lot of grain, hay etc out with the tube.

They were able to get him into CT pretty quickly after that. They said it would be about a half hour when they will let us know the results. It was a little over an hour as they had to get a second reviewer of the results to confirm their findings.

It was Lymphoma throughout his organs.

They were shook because non of the labs from the vet or from them pointed that direction. When they had their round table going over the original files from day’s prior and their files created that day to get a game plan together; cancer was never brought up. He had it in every organ and was in very bad shape at that point. They did not have a care plan to put into place or even a palliative care at that point. They stated he probably wouldn’t even make the drive back home.

They put him to sleep there while I laid by his side. I signed off on what blood/cultures they had collected to be studied as this completely took them off guard. The Doctor/Professor was so upset, I think she was crying as much as I was and she just looked defeated.

We brought him home so his brothers could be around him. The professor/vet actually recommended this as they also need to grieve and have closure specially since he was the leader. The vet stated they know this stuff; they are a waaaay smarter animal than the can eating cartoon people think they are. They did come around him and went and laid down. We took him to the mortuary to have him cremated. He is back with us now waiting for his final urn to be made along with personalized key chain urns.

Whiskey was 2 1/2 years old; which is nothing for Nigerians. Hours before he went down on christmas eve, I looked on the camera and he was eating hay and head butting his brothers; standing on his log watching over the valley. It is just crazy how fast things turned. 3-4 hours.

Like I have said before they are one of the best animals for companion ships. There is no amount of doctors or medications that compare to the emotional support of goats. I have PTSD from 30+ years of law enforcement and these guys know my bad days and my good days; and give me the attention accordingly. I don’t know maybe it’s just my goats, if that is the case, I am lucky man. Whiskey was my biggest supporter so that made this process even harder; however his brothers are stepping in which is just awesome.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am broken hearted for you. What a loss of a dear friend. Our animals wind themselves around our heart and weave themselves into the fabric of our daily life. It hurts so bad when they leave us. They bring us so much joy and happiness and that makes it all worthwhile. I’m really sorry about your little buddy.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ah geeze, so sorry for you. You did absolutely everything you could, even the vets were stumped - you didn't miss a thing. Those that help us are never here long enough, though we are blest with whatever time we have with them.