Dorper/Blackbelly Ram -PICTURES!!

Parsnip

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm one of those people who has to work on a schedule, and I have to know what is going to happen when lol
I schedule everything like crazy :p

Within 12 hours?
WHOA THAT'S GOOD
I'm always like.... a day or two off.... or a week lol

Womwotai

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Well, I would call it beginner's luck LOL. I looked at the udder and vulva on one ewe one morning two weeks ago and her udder looked huge and her vulva swollen, so I came in and texted DH that we "might have a lamb soon". That was around 9am and when I did evening chores at 4:30pm, the ewe showed up with a lamb that she birthed out in the pasture somewhere. Six days later, I examined again and saw another that was red and puffy in the vulva. She seemed to be happy off by herself that evening so first thing next morning I looked out at the pasture with binoculars and she had a lamb in tow. Unfortunately, I missed both births, though both times I "felt" it would be soon. I'd love to actually be there next time...

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh he is handsome! :drool Hope he works out for you!

You could always use a marking harness for the ram. They aren't to expensive and should give you a fairly accurate breeding/due date! Here is a link to one- harness.

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's a handsome boy...had wondered if he'd have horns...glad they curl that way...look less dangerous...LOL...have never seen that cross before and hope he works out great for you!!!!

Parsnip

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
HA Yeah I'm glad his horns aren't the ones that curl out horizontally.
It'd look cool, but it'd be trouble :\
( I'm also glad you guys think he looks okay )

I'm actually glad he's not a HUGE ram, but he is fast and built like a tank so lol who knows.
I've always wondered what Dorper/BB crosses looked like... haha
My dad really wants to have him butchered, but I want to keep him...
So we're in that dilemma right now haha.

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
If it was me...I'd let him get one breeding season in and see what kind of lambs you get before thinking about butchering him...just my opinion.

Parsnip

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That's what my argument is!
I mean, Wendy and MaryEllen will be well ready to breed again in August.
And Irene will probably be big enough in October.
No one's related to him either!
SO I WANT TO KEEP HIM.

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If you have your breeding ewes set up, then this ram could easily take care of things for quite some time. Specially since no one is related to him.
If he crosses nice on your flock it would be good to hang onto him. Every time you bring a new animal in is a risk. With your own ram you reduce that risk a ton.

Womwotai

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Alsea that brings up a question, or maybe Parsnip already knows the answer…..how long after giving birth is a ewe able to get pregnant again. Or does it have to do with how long they are nursing?

boothcreek

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My blackbelly ewes come back into heat 3-4 weeks after giving birth unless their body condition is really poor.